2010 Recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Recruiting

I said it last year,& this year we have many of the core players from last year.If they all get a hot hand shooting the three ball,this team could easily match or better the NCAA record for made 3 pt shots in a game (21)The operative word is "if".Usually, it's one or two players per game with a hot shooting night.When this team is on the mark shooting, they can bury another team in a matter of a few minutes.They are a dangerous team to play right now because it seems they are reversing all the things that were preventing them to reach thier full potential earlier in the season.They are really fun to watch when they are passing the way they are, lot's of assist's , good rebounding & defense,shooting very well.They are an unselfish team that finds the open player with the best opportunity to score.Very hard to defend against.It's another team of destiney?It's one thing to have a 40+ pt victory and shoot 50% or better, but to do it as consistently as the Jacks have as of late,bodes well for us for this tourney.I can see the confidence & determination to win building in this team with each impressive win.Two more games to go for the defending Summit League champs.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
      ....Two more games to go for the defending Summit League champs.
      ONE more game to go for the defending Summit League champs.

(Remember the Bison faithful have 'checked' us and this is ONLY Women's Basketball. Therefore, I don't ever want to hear any reference to Amy Ruley and their D2 WBB titles.)

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
        I think that the game yesterday has shown that if the Jacks don't shot themselves in the foot by turning the ball over, that they are the best team in the conference. Did ORU handle us twice? Yes. Is that because, in one class, they have much better talent than us? I doubt it. They do have a couple great 1st year players, but I believe that SDSU has the better roster from the first to last player on the bench.

I think that the idea that the Jacks have to "recruit" players to be competitive with ORU is a little reactionary.

The Jacks have turned the ball over at an alarming rate this year regardless of who they have played. If they make smart decisions no team can touch them.
        I wouldn't say they have to recruit to be competitive with ORU.....but moreso to your point in the last paragraph.....that they have turned the ball over at an alarming rate and may have to recruit to reduce that weakness.

Our goal is to be able to compete with the upper tier of teams in the nation on a year in and year out basis. Turning the ball over at an "alarming rate" isn't conducive to doing that. I would have to guess the upper tier of teams has guards as good as and most likely better than ORU. All the ORU team has done is shown us what one of our opportunities are at this point. So I guess it could be called reactionary, but reacting to and correcting a weakness isn't necessarily a bad thing is it?

Comment

One goal we need to keep in mind (as a conference) is to get more than one team into the NCAA--in men especially because that's where the money is, but in the women's tournament too. That means all of the programs need to push all of the other ones to recruit better, coach better, play better. We push ORU, they push us, we both push Oakland, NDSU pushes, UMKC and IPFW jump up and push us all. It's a good thing.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            One goal we need to keep in mind (as a conference) is to get more than one team into the NCAA--in men especially because that's where the money is, but in the women's tournament too. That means all of the programs need to push all of the other ones to recruit better, coach better, play better. We push ORU, they push us, we both push Oakland, NDSU pushes, UMKC and IPFW jump up and push us all. It's a good thing.
            I think you can see this is happening already. SDSU has helped to raise the level of play on the women's side amongst the top programs in the conference. We need to continue to improve. When we get the chance to join the Valley we'll be ready to compete with the top half of their programs as well.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
              Never say NEVER! But, until the Summit teams get quality wins outside of the conference it will not get more than one team into the NCAA's. Case in point -- the Jacks had 30+ wins last year with quality wins outside the conference but I don't think we would have went to the NCAA tournament without winning the Summit Tournament. Another great example is this year in volleyball. NDSU had an exceptional year but did not win the conference tournament. They stayed home. So, lets keep winning the tournament and no worries mate!

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                I wouldn't say they have to recruit to be competitive with ORU.....but moreso to your point in the last paragraph.....that they have turned the ball over at an alarming rate and may have to recruit to reduce that weakness.

Our goal is to be able to compete with the upper tier of teams in the nation on a year in and year out basis. Turning the ball over at an "alarming rate" isn't conducive to doing that. I would have to guess the upper tier of teams has guards as good as and most likely better than ORU. All the ORU team has done is shown us what one of our opportunities are at this point. So I guess it could be called reactionary, but reacting to and correcting a weakness isn't necessarily a bad thing is it?
                I think that I was more aiming at the people that were saying that we had to go out and get another guard because, in their mind, ours were not capable. I would agree that we, in the future, will see a different type of backcourt come thru the system. I guess that I don't see our guard play as a "weakness" per se, but more of the least of our strength. ("Least of our strengths" sounds like something I would say in a job interview.)

I think that the team also needs to look to our post size as a "need" in order to compete with the larger schools. I love the way that Maria plays taller than she actually is, but when you look at some of the majors in the area they have a decided size advantage.

Of course, with the skill that this team has at outside shooting, the size difference could be negated when they get hot.

How are we supposed to beat UConn next year if we don't have size inside?
                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
                  Never say NEVER! But, until the Summit teams get quality wins outside of the conference it will not get more than one team into the NCAA's. Case in point -- the Jacks had 30+ wins last year with quality wins outside the conference but I don't think we would have went to the NCAA tournament without winning the Summit Tournament. Another great example is this year in volleyball. NDSU had an exceptional year but did not win the conference tournament. They stayed home. So, lets keep winning the tournament and no worries mate!

GBGBGJ
                  Actually, if I recall correctly, even if SDSU had not won the tournament most of the so called experts had them in the dance. Granted there is no way to prove that they would have been a lock.
                  -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I love the way that Maria plays taller than she actually is
                    Guy I was standing next to at the Oakland game pointed out that Maria doesn't have to bring the ball down before she shoots it. I'd never noticed that before. That's a huge advantage for a 4/5.

I also think TV is spot on when he says that the Jacks play best when they have two good posts. It is impossible to prevent both of SDSU's posts from scoring inside without leaving the perimeter wide open.

All of the Jacks' posts have those up and under and spin moves that generate high percentage shots. You can't take those shots away without giving up the perimeter shot. That's why AJ's always said that they try to play from the inside out. Establish the inside game, get open looks on the perimeter, blow the game wide open.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                      Guy I was standing next to at the Oakland game pointed out that Maria doesn't have to bring the ball down before she shoots it. I'd never noticed that before. That's a huge advantage for a 4/5.

I also think TV is spot on when he says that the Jacks play best when they have two good posts. It is impossible to prevent both of SDSU's posts from scoring inside without leaving the perimeter wide open.

All of the Jacks' posts have those up and under and spin moves that generate high percentage shots. You can't take those shots away without giving up the perimeter shot. That's why AJ's always said that they try to play from the inside out. Establish the inside game, get open looks on the perimeter, blow the game wide open.
                      I agree. That is why the development of Shutloffel (sorry for the spelling) has really helped this team. She has been a pleasant surprise.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                        I agree. That is why the development of Shutloffel (sorry for the spelling) has really helped this team. She has been a pleasant surprise.
                        Conversely, the injury, mid-season to Dietel hurt the team.

I think we all get a little too dazzled by those three point shots--not realizing that they come in bunches because the opposing team has adjusted to take away the inside game.

Comment

Actually, if I recall correctly, even if SDSU had not won the tournament most of the so called experts had them in the dance. Granted there is no way to prove that they would have been a lock.
                          This is correct...we were all but a lock for the touranment last year despite our performance at the Summit League Tournament.

Comment

How are we supposed to beat UConn next year if we don't have size inside?
                            Outstanding guard play!

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                              Conversely, the injury, mid-season to Dietel hurt the team.
                              Would be nice to have her back in uniform.

Comment

Hannah Strop's New Prague team will be playing in the state tournament. Congratulations to Hannah and her team!

Comment

Working...
                                X