Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Recruiting

Originally posted by SDHoops View Post
    Look, I'm not trying to say A.J. can't recruit or is doing anything wrong. I'm just saying SDSU offered players in which SDSU was the only D1 to offer (Paluch, Heiser, Schuttlofel, etc.), yet there is a double standard on this board when it comes to other potential players (i.e., Ashley isn't getting other D1 looks so she must not be SDSU material). Some of you have gotten caught up in rankings and what not, where as if you go back in the archives on this board, you can see that the idea you guys tried to get across is that A.J. never went by those rankings back in the day. I didn't mean to throw the other players "under the bus", but I just wanted to prove a point on your double standard. By the way, what state were four of the top five leading scorers from last year and two of the top three scorers this year? You're right, if it's not broken, don't fix it.
    Thanks for the clarification. Perhaps I was a little strong in my criticism. I don't think I have ever said that Ashley isn't a great high school basketball player who appears to have plenty of the skill necessary to succeed at the next level. She looks darn good to me. However, I am not an evaluator of women's basketball talent and put my trust completely in AJ and his staff. In the end, the most important thing, is that Ms. Ashley does what she thinks is best for her.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by MaddogJack View Post
      It's unanimous - JD has that affect on me as well.

Not to take this in another direction, but IMHO, Roosevelt has historically been a tough recruiting ground in WBB. You have to admit (and someone with a better memory than me can dispute it) that when Coach Tibbetts was there - SDSU was not on many people's radar.
      Actually, Roosevelt was one of those programs that sent a few kids elsewhere to play DI (Colorado State, Drake, Wyoming, others). SDSU might have done better with them had they been DI at that time. Also, on a related note, Ashley had 5 points as Roosevelt lost the District Final to O'Gorman.

Comment

IMO, Ashley is just a case of bad timing. Had she been a year older or a year younger I think that she would be getting consideration for the team. But, with the roster already stocked with guards and short on posts I just think that the team is forced to look at the inside portion of their team.

This isn't a "system" decision. It is a "needs" decision.
        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
          IMO, Ashley is just a case of bad timing. Had she been a year older or a year younger I think that she would be getting consideration for the team. But, with the roster already stocked with guards and short on posts I just think that the team is forced to look at the inside portion of their team.

This isn't a "system" decision. It is a "needs" decision.

Could be Ashley is not DI talent from a DI coaches perspective. One of the criteria a coach looks at is whether a high school player can big in big games, not just big against mediocore players. Being one of the best in South Dakota does not necessarily make a player DI talent. I have seen her play several times and in my opinion she is D2 talent at best.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamPlayer View Post
            Could be Ashley is not DI talent from a DI coaches perspective. One of the criteria a coach looks at is whether a high school player can big in big games, not just big against mediocore players. Being one of the best in South Dakota does not necessarily make a player DI talent. I have seen her play several times and in my opinion she is D2 talent at best.
            Honestly, I haven't seen her play so I don't really know where she falls on the talent scale. That being said, I have complete faith in the staff in regards to their player evaluation. Perhaps it is a situation where, if she wanted to, the team would accept her as a walk-on to see how her game adapts to DI.

IMO, if I had to choose between walking on to a DI school or getting a full ride from a DII school, I would probably lean towards the full ride.

Comment

IMO, if I had to choose between walking on to a DI school or getting a full ride from a DII school, I would probably lean towards the full ride.
              It's amazing how many 18 yr. olds don't agree with you.

Comment

Honestly, I haven't seen her play so I don't really know where she falls on the talent scale. That being said, I have complete faith in the staff in regards to their player evaluation. Perhaps it is a situation where, if she wanted to, the team would accept her as a walk-on to see how her game adapts to DI.

I have seen her play but I would be a poor judgement of her being D1 material or not? However, let me ask a very important question as to what type of athlete that Jacks recruit -- is she a quality student? Again I have no info as to what type of student she is.

GBGBGJ

Comment

It's been interesting reading this thread, so many different view points.

My one comment would be, one the teams that owned us this year...... I believe......has 2 freshman guards that we couldn't handle, speedwise or presswise. I think as AJ makes roster decisions, he will do so knowing he has to have the answer to that equation on our roster. If he does now so be it......if he doesn't, he'll have to upgrade where and when he can.

I have a question though........

If there was a guard out there that would be an upgrade over your current roster, would you overlook them because your roster was guard heavy, just to pick up a post who may be more of a project or role player? A purely hypothetical question as I don't know the talent level of any of the players in question.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post

My one comment would be, one the teams that owned us this year...... I believe......has 2 freshman guards that we couldn't handle, speedwise or presswise. I think as AJ makes roster decisions, he will do so knowing he has to have the answer to that equation on our roster. If he does now so be it......if he doesn't, he'll have to upgrade where and when he can.

If there was a guard out there that would be an upgrade over your current roster, would you overlook them because your roster was guard heavy, just to pick up a post who may be more of a project or role player? A purely hypothetical question as I don't know the talent level of any of the players in question.
                    I think,if you go after the best player, regardless of position, then you have to adjust your style of play to suit the players you have on the roster.Otherwise, you settle for maybe less quality, but you get to mold a team to the style of basketball you want to play.I think I'd go with going for the best players i could recruit, with a little bit of emphesis given to what i need the most.How's that for not really answering your question?.....lol,sorry.

Comment

I believe Chains asked what type of student she is....3.75 GPA from what this summer AAU programs showed, so I guess that would mean a good student.

As far as "Teamplayers" comments:

apprently you haven't seen her play, and I guess Valpo, Southern Utah, Western Ill. and UMKC are Div 1 schools and they did offer! Sounds like a person issue you have with her, a 18 year old high school kid...why is that? she has one game that is off, and you say she doesn't show up, WOW...everyone has those once in a while

I say we just leave her and AJ alone and let is all work out, she is a great kid on and off the court, a leader and plays hard all the time. Started since a freshman so I guess that says something about her, but let's just move on.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post

I know AJ has the young lady from Watertown setting on the bench as a redshirt. Tara Heiser is a 5ft 9in guard who lead the arrows to a state championship. Would Tara, Macie, Steph, ashley be enough at the guard position to off set the dua at OR that you refer to? I think they will. In fact if we meet Oral in the tournament this week I beleive our guard play will win that game for us. Would Ashley be a good get? Certainly would. If she does not end up at State I wish her the best where ever she goes.

GBGBGJ

Comment

AJ has said redshirting is the player's choice.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                            AJ has said redshirting is the player's choice.
                            100% correct...AJ leaves the final decision up to the young lady
                            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

I agree the final decision is up to the player,but I would guess they get a very honest evaluation from the coaching staff regarding what they think would be best for their career.

Comment

I think that the game yesterday has shown that if the Jacks don't shot themselves in the foot by turning the ball over, that they are the best team in the conference. Did ORU handle us twice? Yes. Is that because, in one class, they have much better talent than us? I doubt it. They do have a couple great 1st year players, but I believe that SDSU has the better roster from the first to last player on the bench.

I think that the idea that the Jacks have to "recruit" players to be competitive with ORU is a little reactionary.

The Jacks have turned the ball over at an alarming rate this year regardless of who they have played. If they make smart decisions no team can touch them.

Comment

Working...
                                X