2010 Recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Recruiting

Since my post on 01/28/2010 I have attended a few Roosevelt games and visited with some parents that know Shaunteva and her folks. Everyone speaks very highly of her and them. She has told a few Div. 1 schools no, (UMKC, Southern Utah, west ill.) and has 5 div. 2 offers on the table along with Valpo (Div 1). However she does not care to go a long way from home, as her family is her and I believe she has a young sibling around 4.
    AJ I'm sure would love to have her but in losing a 6'2 post i"m sure he is leaning that way too, hard decision. Him going to watch her is a good sign and I believe the SDSU asst. where at one game that I was at too. Whereever she ends up she will be successful and I'm sure AJ will wish her well.

Here is what I posted on 01/28/09 (Argus incorrect, imagine that)!
    Apparently the statement in the Argus Leader we incorrectly written. Sounds like that list of school have made offers.

I found this about Ashley on south dakota sports talk:
    http://sdsportstalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7839

TAKEN off of sdsportalk.com:

Does anyone know her folks?
    http://www.argusleader.com/article/20100128/SPORTS0103/1280303

What a great artilce in this morning paper and well deserved.

I'm friends w/her folks and the report misreported as all the schools they listed have made her an offer and "are on the table". However Valpo has asked her to fly out there and visit, they came and watched her play, they have not made an offical offer but will once she gets there. Other Div schools have that are not as close to home and she said no thank you (ex. Southern Utah).

This article should make other young girls want to work hard.

Way to to Shaunteva

Comment

Players within the program have mentioned that she is leaning towards Augustana. Take it for what it is worth.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitNation View Post
        Players within the program have mentioned that she is leaning towards Augustana. Take it for what it is worth.
        To be quite honest, I don't get when people on here talk about "the system". What is the system? If A.J. is like any other coach in Division I, he looks for talent. Shaunteva is an outstanding basketball player. She would've outshined Hieser, Paluch, etc. if she were on their teams in high school. She would definitely bring some flavor to the SDSU program, as she is a true team player. Maybe she is only considering Augie because SDSU hasn't offered. Time to get off the high horse and realize what you got right in front of you. Enough with the excuses.

Comment

Originally posted by SDHoops View Post
          To be quite honest, I don't get when people on here talk about "the system". What is the system? If A.J. is like any other coach in Division I, he looks for talent. Shaunteva is an outstanding basketball player. She would've outshined Hieser, Paluch, etc. if she were on their teams in high school. She would definitely bring some flavor to the SDSU program, as she is a true team player. Maybe she is only considering Augie because SDSU hasn't offered. Time to get off the high horse and realize what you got right in front of you. Enough with the excuses.
          I have absolute faith in A J's ability to evaluate talent and bring in players that have the best chance to make his team better. Since he gets paid to do that,and all of the rest of us don't, I am willing to leave talent evaluation in his capable hands. There are always going to be talented players who do not get scholarship offers or choose to go elsewhere. A J is accountable for his choices eventually by how his team performs down the road,so he will make decisions that he thinks gives the team the greatest chance to get better.

Comment

Not one other D-1 offer and AJ should just walk right into RHS gym and offer Shaunteva the full-boat??

Pretty sure AJ knows what he's doing and if it not offering this young lady an opportunity to play for SDSU, so be it..."flavor" be damned.

Tell me this...is she better than Eide from WHS, who turned down multiple scholarships from local d-II to WALK-ON at SDSU?

Maybe this is a route Shaunteva should be looking at if she really does want to play d-1 basketball for SDSU...Just my opinion.

Go Jacks!!
            SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

This has been an intriguing thread to follow. I don't see this as a bad thing whether SDSU has offered her or not.

I agree with the posters that say AJ knows what he's doing, and has a track record to back that up. I'll go with what AJ decides.

Comment

I say we start a petition to remove Coach Johnston. I bet SDHoops would be happy to replace him. Then he can offer Ms. Ashley, pull everyone's scholarship and start all over. All AJ has done is win a DII national championship and lead our program into DI culminating in an appearance in the NCAA tourney and what should have been a birth in the sweet 16. An average Joe could do better than that. Its clearly poor recruiting that has resulted in this underachievement.

I hate to say it but AJ must not have what it takes.

This post should be nominated for post of the year. Way to throw Heiser, Paluch and etc... under the bus.

Last thing, I heard she is going to UCONN anyways so it doesn't matter. Gino told her she could start as a freshman.

Without commenting about the member, that POST is just plain idiotic.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

She would definitely bring some flavor to the SDSU program, as she is a true team player. ... Enough with the excuses.
                  I don't what you mean by these sentences. Can you please clarify.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                    I don't what you mean by these sentences. Can you please clarify.
                    Flavor= zest, some umph, fire power. True team player= someone who knows their role and puts their all into it for the good of the team. Enough with the excuses= well she don't fit our system...blah blah blah

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                      I say we start a petition to remove Coach Johnston. I bet SDHoops would be happy to replace him. Then he can offer Ms. Ashley, pull everyone's scholarship and start all over. All AJ has done is win a DII national championship and lead our program into DI culminating in an appearance in the NCAA tourney and what should have been a birth in the sweet 16. An average Joe could do better than that. Its clearly poor recruiting that has resulted in this underachievement.

I hate to say it but AJ must not have what it takes.

This post should be nominated for post of the year. Way to throw Heiser, Paluch and etc... under the bus.

Last thing, I heard she is going to UCONN anyways so it doesn't matter. Gino told her she could start as a freshman.

Without commenting about the member, that POST is just plain idiotic.
                      Look, I'm not trying to say A.J. can't recruit or is doing anything wrong. I'm just saying SDSU offered players in which SDSU was the only D1 to offer (Paluch, Heiser, Schuttlofel, etc.), yet there is a double standard on this board when it comes to other potential players (i.e., Ashley isn't getting other D1 looks so she must not be SDSU material). Some of you have gotten caught up in rankings and what not, where as if you go back in the archives on this board, you can see that the idea you guys tried to get across is that A.J. never went by those rankings back in the day. I didn't mean to throw the other players "under the bus", but I just wanted to prove a point on your double standard. By the way, what state were four of the top five leading scorers from last year and two of the top three scorers this year? You're right, if it's not broken, don't fix it.

Comment

My take: Shaunteva Ashley seems like a good player and worthy of a DI scholarship, but there are factors working for and against her when it pertains to whether or not she gets an offer from SDSU.

Factors working against her coming to SDSU: The current roster has 3 freshman guards; the current recruiting class has a guard already; the scholarship that would allow the Jacks to offer Ashley in the first place was vacated by a post player.

Factors working for her: Two out of the three incoming players are Forwards; Gabby Boever (the guard in this years recruiting class) had a serious knee injury, which could potentially force her to red shirt her freshman year; There are more than likely no worthy posts available to offer the scholarship to in the 2010 class (though the scholarship could be saved for the 2011 class).

Conclusion: I have faith that AJ will weigh all his options and make the proper decision (and I honestly am not sure what decision that is).
                        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                        - Steven Wright

Comment

Hey SD hoops, at least no one said after reading your post they wanted to throw up ,like they did mine, at least you've got that going for you

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                            Factors working against her coming to SDSU: The current roster has 3 freshman guards; the current recruiting class has a guard already; the scholarship that would allow the Jacks to offer Ashley in the first place was vacated by a post player.

Factors working for her: Two out of the three incoming players are Forwards; Gabby Boever (the guard in this years recruiting class) had a serious knee injury, which could potentially force her to red shirt her freshman year; There are more than likely no worthy posts available to offer the scholarship to in the 2010 class (though the scholarship could be saved for the 2011 class).

Conclusion: I have faith that AJ will weigh all his options and make the proper decision (and I honestly am not sure what decision that is).

The Argus article said something similar in explaining why the no offers, and it said something to the effect that guards are dime a dozen, so that does make it more difficult and I believe we do have more need for inside people, but Kemo's conclusion is right on as far as I am concerned. Not much more to add. You other folks said it all.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                              Hey SD hoops, at least no one said after reading your post they wanted to throw up ,like they did mine, at least you've got that going for you
                              Yea, Jack Daniel's can have that affect on me, too!

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                                Yea, Jack Daniel's can have that affect on me, too!
                                It's unanimous - JD has that affect on me as well.

Not to take this in another direction, but IMHO, Roosevelt has historically been a tough recruiting ground in WBB. You have to admit (and someone with a better memory than me can dispute it) that when Coach Tibbetts was there - SDSU was not on many people's radar.

Comment

Working...
                                X