Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Recruiting

Originally posted by SDHoops View Post
    I'm not going to act like I'm in the know or anything about who's recruiting who, but I think SDSU might have made a call to Rapid City Stevens. Justine Blade is the best (available) big girl in the state right now. Her emergence as a force in the paint can be proof through Stevens turn around from a 3-19 team to an 11-7 team (they were honorable mention for a good portion of the season.)

I also think that maybe A.J. and company are going to wait and see how some players perform at the state tournament. Who knows, he might step out of his comfort zone and go the JUCO route. That's what seems logical to me, that's not what I'm saying should happen, but maybe that's why A.J. is remaining mum on the who and what.
    Seen her play. Blade is not a D1 player. JMO

Comment

I don't think a D1 basketball program is going to wait until they watch how a high school senior performs at a state tournament to decide whether or not to offer. The recruiting process involves watching them over time, projecting what kind of ceiling that player has, and they don't base it on what a player does over a couple of days.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
        I don't think a D1 basketball program is going to wait until they watch how a high school senior performs at a state tournament to decide whether or not to offer. The recruiting process involves watching them over time, projecting what kind of ceiling that player has, and they don't base it on what a player does over a couple of days.
        I agree. Those days of head coaches showing up at state tournaments went out with the 1940's. Even as far back as Sox Walseth and Jim Iverson,(1950's) the recruits that they chose, many never played in state tournaments, but coaches have networks and thats what determines a choice plus as you mentioned the projection of talent level probably is a current consideration in the models used to evaluate.

This process is being constantly refined and more detailed and no doubt is much different than what was going on in the early 1960's. If you read Warren Williams autobiography he mentions traveling with Jim Iverson as they tried to recruit athletes that could play both basketball and football. His most interesting antedote was their attempt to recruit Les Josephsen who went to Augie and the LA Rams. They had a nice cordial conversation with the parents and Les and Warren thought they might have good chance to sign him, but as soon as they got in the car, Jim Iverson said he thought they were doomed as he saw too many Lutheran books and Bibles around the house, and this guy is going to Augie. This is digression, but my point recruiting is more refined and more detailed than ever. So going to a state tourney might be a waste of recruiting funds.

Comment

I would venture to say that more recruiting is done during the summer months when these kids are all playing on traveling teams. Coach's cannot attend some of these games but if you don't think the Coach's know how these players are performing we're fooling outselves. Its nice to see how a player performs on the bigger stage (state tourney) but clearly not the base to or not to recruit.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
            I would venture to say that more recruiting is done during the summer months when these kids are all playing on traveling teams. Coach's cannot attend some of these games but if you don't think the Coach's know how these players are performing we're fooling outselves. Its nice to see how a player performs on the bigger stage (state tourney) but clearly not the base to or not to recruit.

GBGBGJ
            At the D1 level the majority of recruiting starts with AAU teams. And there are viewing periods when D1 coaches can come out and watch these AAU teams play in tournaments. I know there is one week in April, and there are also three weeks in July.

Comment

With everything said about. S. Ashley from Roosevelt, anyone considered that she told SDSU early on that she isn't interested in going here. Just a thought.

I'm not saying I have any insider info, just stating a possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                With everything said about. S. Ashley from Roosevelt, anyone considered that she told SDSU early on that she isn't interested in going here. Just a thought.

I'm not saying I have any insider info, just stating a possibility.
                I can't imagine she would close the door on any D1 opportunities. I do know that AJ was in Marshall MN last week to watch SFR play Marshall. If he was not watching Ashley I don't know who he would have been watching? Also, other than Shuttloffel (sp) I can't recall any other SFR girl coming to State to play? Always nice to keep local kids on the team if they can contribute. I have not seen her play.

On the other side of Ashley there must be some reason she is not recieving offers from multiple schools?

GBGBGJ

GBGBGJ

Comment

I believe Lisa Loeffler, a 6'2" junior post from North St. Paul was at the game Saturday night. Don't know anything else about her.
                  Last edited by 1stRowFANatic; 03-01-2010, 01:33 PM.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

On the other side of Ashley there must be some reason she is not recieving offers from multiple schools?

GBGBGJ

GBGBGJ
                    Do we know for a fact that she isn't receiving offers from mulitple schools?

Comment

If he was not watching Ashley I don't know who he would have been watching?
                      Maybe Macie has a taller sister?

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                        Maybe Macie has a taller sister?
                        Actually Macie has a shorter sister who is a senior. She comes off the bench,and has a decent 3 point shot.

Comment

Lisa Loeffler listed on the top #30 list for 2011.

http://www.gprep.net/200rankings.html

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
                            Do we know for a fact that she isn't receiving offers from mulitple schools?
                            I believe the Argus article said something along the lines of, several NAIA and NCAA D2 schools were interested but no solid offers at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                              Lisa Loeffler listed on the top #30 list for 2011.

http://www.gprep.net/200rankings.html
                              JACKGUYII, I know your post was probably meant to give us a background on Loeffler. Thanks for that. The gprep website is well known in Minnesota for being off base once you get past the top few players that everyone knows about. For example, Gabby Boever is listed down the list for the 2010 kids and she should be ranked MUCH MUCH higher than that.

Comment

JACKGUYII, I know your post was probably meant to give us a background on Loeffler. Thanks for that. The gprep website is well known in Minnesota for being off base once you get past the top few players that everyone knows about. For example, Gabby Boever is listed down the list for the 2010 kids and she should be ranked MUCH MUCH higher than that.
                                Agreed on all accounts. I think they know who many of the good outstate kids are, but do not know how they compare with the top metro kids. Very subjective to say the least.
                                Last edited by JACKGUYII; 03-01-2010, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X