Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Arkansas State

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
    The problem this year is that our RPI might go down simply because we'll be playing so many games against relatively bad Summit League teams. So it's important to win these early games against better opponents. They could make a big difference later on when WNIT bids are handed out.
    Simply put - WHEN we win the SUMMIT regular season crown we are in the WNIT. If we're not the Summit League champ, likely to NOT MAKE WNIT. However, if we're 24 wins again, may make it even if not champ. Although I don't believe that Summit League has EVER had more than one representative in either tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by fezzador View Post
      Do you think SDSU is a possible Top 25 team? They handled a solid Arkansas State team without breaking too much of a sweat, and I doubt ASU has dropped off all that much since last year.

We already have a vote or two going in our direction, I'm sure we'll garner more as the season progresses.
      ASU had 2 players score 51 of their 67 points against us last year that graduated. It looks like they may have dropped off just a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
        Simply put - WHEN we win the SUMMIT regular season crown we are in the WNIT. If we're not the Summit League champ, likely to NOT MAKE WNIT. However, if we're 24 wins again, may make it even if not champ. Although I don't believe that Summit League has EVER had more than one representative in either tourney.
        Actually if you remember from last year, the WNIT changed their rules to give an automatic bid to the next best team in each conference that didn't qualify for the NCAA tournament. I believe this was based on regular season standings. I'm not sure if that is the exact wording but if we don't win the conference and we finish the regular season in 2nd place then we shoule be assured a spot in the WNIT.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by rodrawks View Post
          Just got home from game....two words...Ketty Corneman....holy crap. I was in awe all night by her play. She's got a beautiful looking shot. I'm so glad we have 3 years of Ketty bliss ahead of us. There were other facets of the games I'd talk about but I gotta take off for a bit....

On a side note...bluehatman...I never realized until tonight that you're the blue hat man sitting front and center in the student section...nice bit of advertising you did on the big screen!
          I have to completely agree with rodrawks on this one. I was at the first exhibition game and felt the same way about Ketty. That night she looked very comfortable on the floor and and made few mistakes. I can tell she has worked this summer on making a quicker release on her shot. That is the most obvious improvement from her and I'm sure there are others that I didn't pick up on.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
            Actually if you remember from last year, the WNIT changed their rules to give an automatic bid to the next best team in each conference that didn't qualify for the NCAA tournament. I believe this was based on regular season standings. I'm not sure if that is the exact wording but if we don't win the conference and we finish the regular season in 2nd place then we shoule be assured a spot in the WNIT.

I was talking about that this morning with a friend. I know they do it with the guys and if I remember correctly there are 48 teams in the WNIT now. An expansion from 32 correct??? So that should increase our chances. Anyways...I'm jumping the gun a little early here, let's get another win tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031 View Post
              I was talking about that this morning with a friend. I know they do it with the guys and if I remember correctly there are 48 teams in the WNIT now. An expansion from 32 correct??? So that should increase our chances. Anyways...I'm jumping the gun a little early here, let's get another win tomorrow!
              Yes, that is also true about the expansion to 48 teams. Last year was the first year for that.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post

If we take 2nd in the conference and the regular season champ DOESN'T win the tourney, then they go instead of the runner up. THAT'S what the change to the format was designed to do, is to assure that one game, in the tourney doesn't derail a top team from a minor conference.

If we win the regular season, then it won't matter who wins the Summit League tourney, we'll already be selected. Otherwise, we're gambling.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                  If we take 2nd in the conference and the regular season champ DOESN'T win the tourney, then they go instead of the runner up. THAT'S what the change to the format was designed to do, is to assure that one game, in the tourney doesn't derail a top team from a minor conference.

If we win the regular season, then it won't matter who wins the Summit League tourney, we'll already be selected. Otherwise, we're gambling.
                  Ahh...yes, you are correct. Thanks for the info. The auto-bids to the WNIT are based on regular season standings and the conference tournament has no bearing.

The best way to state it would be from the WNIT website:
                  The Process
                  How the teams are selected
                  The 48-team tournament field consists of 31 automatic berths and 17 at-large selections. An automatic bid is offered to each conference to the team that finished highest during the regular season and did not receive a bid to the NCAA Tournament. The WNIT recognizes the tiebreakers used by each conference in their tournament seeding.

The 17 at-large berths are filled by the top remaining teams available, as decided by several factors. All Division I teams – with overall records of .500 or better (including conference tournament play) – are considered for the at-large berths.
                  • The WNIT committee will utilize the seven following women’s basketball ranking systems in the selection of the at-large tournament spots: Dolphin, Greenfield, Massey, Moore, RPI ratings, Sagarin, and Wobus. These rankings vary in their emphasis, which provides a good cross-ranking of factors such as win-loss record, strength of schedule, strength of opponents and opponents’ schedule, record at home and on the road, and margin of victory, among other factors.
                  • The high and low rankings for each team are removed and the remaining five rankings are consolidated and utilized as the principle resource for at-large selections.
                  • For the final few spots, the WNIT committee examines the remaining teams under consideration utilizing additional factors such as how well a team is currently playing, common opponents, late-season win/loss runs, games against other potential invitees, and key injuries.
                  • Factors that are not taken into consideration at any time during team selection are any financial incentives, location of school, attendance history, tournament history, ability to host, etc.
                  http://www.womensnit.com/photo.htm

Comment

Working...
                  X