GDT: Jackrabbits vs Utes 9pm McCarthey Athletic Center ESPNU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
    Somebody mentioned earlier having 2 groups of five rotating. Not sure I am a fan of that, but it is the off season now. Any guesses how those sets of five would look? Would you go first team/second team or try and even them out a bit?
    PT Dilemma in '24-'25 ? Nine impressive sets of credentials return with high expectations. New {law firm} core of Meyer, Timmer, Byom, Meyer, and Mathiowetz start; keep minutes under 25 each; exhaust the opponent with fresh waves in the post and beyond the arc. Just like South Carolina blew up opponents.

Effectively, six freshman start to earn PT in June-October practices. Might redshirt 3-4 for development or injury reasons - like them all.

Selected stats show returning production -
    ​​​​​​
    *last played in 2023 24-'25 Minutes Points Rebounds Total 3PT%
    Eligibility /Game /Game /Game Blocks
    *Kallie Theisen R-Sr 16.9 6.3 6.4 45 -
    Madysen Vlastuin R-Sr 30.9 7.2 5.0 - 41.3
    Mesa Byom R-Sr 20.4 7.7 6.7 36 -
    Paige Meyer Sr 29.6 15.2 3.4 - 42.2
    *Haleigh Timmer R-Jr 27.7 12.1 3.6 - 37.3
    Natalie Nielsen R-So 3.9 0.7 0.6 - -
    Brooklyn Meyer Jr 28.1 16.8 7.6 61 -
    Madison Mathiowetz Jr 30.2 11.5 3.7 - 39.3
    Ellie Colbeck Jr 25.0 4.8 2.5 - 37.6
    Jenna Hopp So 17.6 4.9 2.4 - 30.8
    Hilary Behrens R-Fr
    Jaida Dunn Fr
    Katie Vasecka Fr
    Emily Fox Fr
    Mahli Abdouch Fr
    Claire Shepard Fr

Comment

• I like that starting 5 grandpa. Plenty of scoring but also the size in the frontcourt. Hopp could make a big impact with some athleticism off the bench.

Comment

• I'm guessing that one or two of the six new players -- the five true freshmen plus Behrens, who was injured all of last season -- are likely to break into the starting lineup. They are good enough that we shouldn't assume that they will all sit on the bench or redshirt because of their age or inexperience. They have difference-making talent. In addition,veterans Theisen and Vlastuin (at some point) will return from injury. They also have starter-level talent. This team should be deep and loaded.
        This space for lease.

Comment

• Vasecka probably? Surely it won’t be anyone occupying the point or post god willing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
            I'm guessing that one or two of the six new players -- the five true freshmen plus Behrens, who was injured all of last season -- are likely to break into the starting lineup. They are good enough that we shouldn't assume that they will all sit on the bench or redshirt because of their age or inexperience. They have difference-making talent. In addition,veterans Theisen and Vlastuin (at some point) will return from injury. They also have starter-level talent. This team should be deep and loaded.
            My way too early and uneducated guess at starting 5 next season:

P Meyer
            MM
            Timmer
            Vasecka
            B Meyer

Or one of a thousand other possible combinations...
            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
              I'm guessing that one or two of the six new players -- the five true freshmen plus Behrens, who was injured all of last season -- are likely to break into the starting lineup. They are good enough that we shouldn't assume that they will all sit on the bench or redshirt because of their age or inexperience. They have difference-making talent. In addition,veterans Theisen and Vlastuin (at some point) will return from injury. They also have starter-level talent. This team should be deep and loaded.
              Yeah, maybe 11 elite level talents aboard in '24-'25. Gotta prove it in non-conference.

The critical development need is a point guard for 2025-26++ . Does anyone else have Paige's heads-up, ball skills? Vasceka dribbles too high. Intense defensive pressure scambles perception, except Paige & (maybe) Mahli Abdouch. All others hiccup in the face of belly-to-belly squeezes, backcourt traps, and double teams - current upper classmen included. We've seen high TO counts lead to disasters.

Another development thought: defensive forces, e.g. overplay & force dribbler to help side; e.g., trap ball handler in (any of four) corners; e.g.. guess passing lane and jump it when ball handler picks up dribble. Only 2-or-3-possibilities, right??
              We have the talent and depth to run 40-minutes, win 30 games, and blow-up more than the Summit League - Let's GOOOO !!

Comment

• Fun to see how next years team is drawing so much intrigue and interest from the fan base already , it's going to be fun watching how all the different players fit into what seems like is going to be a loaded bench , regardless of the starting five . Going from such a depleted team from last season in terms of healthy bodies available , to a fully loaded team next season will be awesome. It will be a welcome contrast from last season's hardships to this season's abundance. Can't wait for the 2024-2025 journey to begin , should be some very exciting basketball on display and enjoyed ,can't wait. Go Jacks!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by GrandpaLee View Post

Yeah, maybe 11 elite level talents aboard in '24-'25. Gotta prove it in non-conference.

The critical development need is a point guard for 2025-26++ . Does anyone else have Paige's heads-up, ball skills? Vasceka dribbles too high. Intense defensive pressure scambles perception, except Paige & (maybe) Mahli Abdouch. All others hiccup in the face of belly-to-belly squeezes, backcourt traps, and double teams - current upper classmen included. We've seen high TO counts lead to disasters.

Another development thought: defensive forces, e.g. overplay & force dribbler to help side; e.g., trap ball handler in (any of four) corners; e.g.. guess passing lane and jump it when ball handler picks up dribble. Only 2-or-3-possibilities, right??
                  We have the talent and depth to run 40-minutes, win 30 games, and blow-up more than the Summit League - Let's GOOOO !!
                  If we can run a trapping defense to a high rate of proficiency in practice , then we could see it in some games I'm thinking, depending on the match up , scouting reports , and certain situations.

I think I've seen Emily Fox make some good passes, can handle the ball, in my limited observation, but HS is different than Collage in athleticism that freshmen players have to adjust to, not saying she can't.

Paige has that innate ability to see dangerous situations developing , and responds very quickly to them before they can fully develop and escapes from them , That unique ability is rare.
                  Last edited by jackdaniel; 04-13-2024, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X