No announcement yet.

Whalen out at U of M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AJ should be their first call but they’ve passed on him before because of his gender and they may do it again. Their loss!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitofDT View Post
      AJ will be one of Coyle's first calls. In fact he may be #1 with a bullet. The reality is Minnesota would probably be in the 3x total comp range compared to SDSU and be happy to work out the travel needed from Brookings to MSP as it's about a 50 minute plane ride.
      always interesting to see someone's first post, but you cant have 1000 posts without having one first)) welcome aboard!! we can definitely use more voices and more conversation here

are you suggesting that he would continue to live in brookings and they would fly him back and forth every day for practice, etc...?? that is a very green plan))) supposedly the state of MN cares about that. more importantly for AJ who has always been about community and become much a part of the brookings community that would REALLY seem to make him a hired gun who is NOT part of the community. seems a lot less than ideal for him and the school and pretty much everyone involved. i can imagine something like this could happn somewhere i guess. are you aware of it??

as i have said many times and from the beginning! not trying to be dumb about this!! things happen! but 3x the money in MN is not 3x the money in brookings! how many Xx is the cost to live?? and the non monetary costs? beyond obviously i cannot speak for AJ and his family!!!!! but with everything else he has going on, i think it is a fair question if 3x the money is really head turning money

FWIW i would not leave the relationships i have where i am at to live in minneapolis for 3x the money. i recently considered a move to northern california for about 6x the money and decided all things considered i am better off where i am at. money is not everything to everyone, but i have no idea what the top priorities would be for AJ (no idea is probably strong. i probably have some guesses but few facts!!)

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

always interesting to see someone's first post, but you cant have 1000 posts without having one first)) welcome aboard!! we can definitely use more voices and more conversation here

are you suggesting that he would continue to live in brookings and they would fly him back and forth every day for practice, etc...?? that is a very green plan))) supposedly the state of MN cares about that. more importantly for AJ who has always been about community and become much a part of the brookings community that would REALLY seem to make him a hired gun who is NOT part of the community. seems a lot less than ideal for him and the school and pretty much everyone involved. i can imagine something like this could happn somewhere i guess. are you aware of it??

as i have said many times and from the beginning! not trying to be dumb about this!! things happen! but 3x the money in MN is not 3x the money in brookings! how many Xx is the cost to live?? and the non monetary costs? beyond obviously i cannot speak for AJ and his family!!!!! but with everything else he has going on, i think it is a fair question if 3x the money is really head turning money

FWIW i would not leave the relationships i have where i am at to live in minneapolis for 3x the money. i recently considered a move to northern california for about 6x the money and decided all things considered i am better off where i am at. money is not everything to everyone, but i have no idea what the top priorities would be for AJ (no idea is probably strong. i probably have some guesses but few facts!!)
        Appreciate the warm welcome. I’m a Jackrabbit Athletics Alum and also lifelong Gopher fan who grew up in the Twin Cities. My point is I think he’s way up on the list and Mark Coyle will remove as many barriers as possible. I could see part of it including potentially back and forth travel accommodations at least early on in the contract before a permanent relocation to Minnesota. I think it’s safe to say we can assume the total comp would be about 3X, not 2X after bonuses, endorsements, incentives, etc. Biggest question marks are going to be mutual interest and potential gender equity hiring practices by the U. Cost of living is going to be washed out by any combination of what I mentioned above. It will come down to those 2 things. Does he want to be B1G? No idea. The conference is changing rapidly and becoming a cash cow for it’s members. It could be more about just money either way. I’ve been keeping my eye on him for a while and know he really enjoys SDSU so it will be interesting to see if this goes anywhere.

Comment

Looks like Minnesota is not interviewing any male candidates for the job at this time.

Comment

Looks like Minnesota is not interviewing any male candidates for the job at this time.
            Right or wrong, they're eventually going to ride that dead horse into the ground.

Comment

The sexism is strong in Cali junior. Good for us though and like others have speculated, I have my doubts AJ wouldve been interested anyway.
              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

I understand that Minnesota has way nicer facilities and a great hockey program, but would I be wrong saying SDSU has better major athletic programs than Minnesota? I honestly think football is pretty dang close (despite U of M being 9-4 last year), and both SDSU basketball programs have been better than Minnesota for a hot minute. AJ has played a big role into this, obviously

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

Right or wrong, they're eventually going to ride that dead horse into the ground.
                  Right where Gophers belong

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJacks View Post
                    I understand that Minnesota has way nicer facilities and a great hockey program, but would I be wrong saying SDSU has better major athletic programs than Minnesota? I honestly think football is pretty dang close (despite U of M being 9-4 last year), and both SDSU basketball programs have been better than Minnesota for a hot minute. AJ has played a big role into this, obviously
                    i think it goes beyond FB, WBB, MBB
                    i am not saying we would beat them all the time or even be favorites in some / plenty of cases
                    but FB, MBB, baseball, softball, volleyball, wrestling, soccer, maybe / probably some others i am forgetting? we would and do compete with them in any of those. WBB is way better. i dont know how their T & F, and XC are?? obviously ours are pretty good in the world we live in

i think it is not an unreasonable argument to say that the only advantage they have over us is they are in BIG 10
                    OBVIOUSLY we wont be getting an invite for that any time soon (probably ever) but if you put us in that conference next year we would surpass UM in FB and both BB somewhere between immediately and a few years

Comment

Reports out that Minnesota is hiring Dawn P as their next coach. Has to make WV feel good that she was negotiating while also getting them ready for the tournament.

Comment

What did I tell you guys! Good luck Dawn. It will be fun to watch her as long as we keep beating them. Thankful we still have AJ!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                          Reports out that Minnesota is hiring Dawn P as their next coach. Has to make WV feel good that she was negotiating while also getting them ready for the tournament.
                          have to say i would just as soon she not come back to this area. obviously she has recruiting connections in the same area we recruit. that said she was losing the recruiting battle to AJ and the jacks pretty consistently. i guess we will see how it goes when she has the power of the big 10 behind her. will the watson girl transfer again to stay with her? krull? larkins? not assuming yet this is true but if they are insistent it has to be a female coach she does make sense

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post
                            What did I tell you guys! Good luck Dawn. It will be fun to watch her as long as we keep beating them. Thankful we still have AJ!!!!
                            It will be interesting. It's been a place where coaches go to kill their careers.

Comment

That's seems odd to me. MN has a pretty big buyout to pay. And it's really just a lateral move for DP. Second thought, would you want a coach that is sooo ready to jump ships at the next best thing?

Comment

If AJ wants to continue playing, it will be interesting to see if the Gophers show interest. The men's team is desperate for players, especially guards.

Comment

Working...
                                X