Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whalen out at U of M

Whalen has resigned.

Minnesota's Whalen resigns after 3rd straight losing season (msn.com)

Here's hoping they continue their trend of the type of coach they are looking for and leave ours alone.

* Mods please move if this is not appropriate for this forum.

You have to think that after all the times this has happened and AJ has remained our coach, this time wouldn’t be any different. I can’t see the U of M ever hiring a male coach for this. Wonder if Dawn P would want it. Far more desirable than living in West Virginia. I’m also wondering how long Amy Williams has left at Nebraska. They lost in their first round of the Big Ten tournament today.

At the end of the day, I’d take AJ over any of those coaches and am glad he continues to stick with us.

Comment

AJ isn’t going anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post
        AJ isn’t going anywhere.
        So let's say this team goes on a post-season run. You think there is no world in which U of M doesn't look at a coach who has been kicking their butt with local kids for years? I hope they are this short sighted.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post

So let's say this team goes on a post-season run. You think there is no world in which U of M doesn't look at a coach who has been kicking their butt with local kids for years? I hope they are this short sighted.
          It’s not the U of M that says no it’s AJ. We’ve been through this before.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post

I think they’ll consider him but being XY, I’m not sure it’ll amount to more than that. I think the bigger thing people don’t seem to realize is he and his family are quite happy here from all I hear and he’s quite invested in Brookings.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks2011 View Post

I think they’ll consider him but being XY, I’m not sure it’ll amount to more than that. I think the bigger thing people don’t seem to realize is he and his family are quite happy here from all I hear and he’s quite invested in Brookings.
              Especially now that he has school-age kids. I can't see the family wanting to see them in Minneapolis ( or any other metro area ) schools.

Comment

i wish i could say i think there is NO CHANCE but i cannot quite say that

i do, however, definitely agree with you that i believe he is very happy and invested where he is. i also believe that he believes he is VERY close to having the jacks being an almost yearly top 20ish team. i agree with that. imagine where this team would be right now if Markowski had not made the very stupid decision to go to unl and / or Dru does not get hurt (because we definitely have not seen everything she could have done) this team would likely be on the verge of hosting ncaa tourney games

some would say those things would make AJ more likely to go, but i think proving that he could do it in brookings would make him more likely to want to keep doing it in a place he already knows that he and his family are happy. as usual just my personal opinion. i have been wrong a couple times before

Comment

You have to think that after all the times this has happened and AJ has remained our coach, this time wouldn’t be any different. I can’t see the U of M ever hiring a male coach for this. Wonder if Dawn P would want it. Far more desirable than living in West Virginia. I’m also wondering how long Amy Williams has left at Nebraska. They lost in their first round of the Big Ten tournament today.

At the end of the day, I’d take AJ over any of those coaches and am glad he continues to stick with us.
                  do not personally care where DP goes as long as i never have to watch her constant sideline ranting again, but i am not sure everyone thinks living in or near the twin cities is a big bonus. personally i have no plans to ever even visit the twin cities again let alone live there

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post

It’s not the U of M that says no it’s AJ. We’ve been through this before.
                    We have? When did he turn down a job offer from the U of M? Or are you comparing a Big10 school about to add a bunch of other power schools to it's conference to a Horizon league school?

Comment

I’m nervous that AJ maybe the direction that they look but hopefully they hold true to form and only look a potential female coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

DP is 18-10 at West Virginia. Dont think she would go to the Gophers.

Comment

With the talent Minnesota has in WBB, Johnston would have Minnesota in the top 10 within a couple years, I would guess. I am going to guess he isn’t going to leave if he hasn’t already, but who knows? Would cheer him on just like with Scott Nagy, who has done great things for Wright State.

Comment

I don't think Coach AJ is going anywhere, either. I certainly hope not: But here's a tweet from Patrick Reusse, the Star Tribune columnist: "Aaron Johnston could be easy choice for Coyle as Whalen’s replacement. He’s been coaching So. Dakota State since 1999, he’s still only 48 & developed Jacks into mid-major power. MN boy (Pine Island), extended family here & has recruited state hard (as border school must)."
                            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                              I don't think Coach AJ is going anywhere, either. I certainly hope not: But here's a tweet from Patrick Reusse, the Star Tribune columnist: "Aaron Johnston could be easy choice for Coyle as Whalen’s replacement. He’s been coaching So. Dakota State since 1999, he’s still only 48 & developed Jacks into mid-major power. MN boy (Pine Island), extended family here & has recruited state hard (as border school must)."
                              I’m losing track of how many times a Star Tribune reporter has tweeted this. Certainly it’s what they said a few years ago when Whalen was selected and the time before that and probably the time before that. Glad AJ continues to see the grass is greener here.

Comment

Working...
                              X