Whalen out at U of M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post
    i cannot say what AJ will do but i sure hope he stays!!

in the unfortunate event he leaves, obviously the jacks would get plenty of good candidates!

the most recent marquee sport hires came from within. would the jacks consider the same strategy? it definitely seems they like to hire people familiar with the SDSU way of doing things. they always have

i could go back further but going back to the 70s, Zulk played for the jacks before he coached the jacks. Thorson worked for Zulk, nagy worked for Thorson, hendo worked for TJ

AJ worked for both Nagy and Nancy

I think without question Coach Thielbar is respected, is she ready to be HC? i dont know but you would think she is gonna get a shot, if she wants one, fairly soon. i imagine that her bio says, but i am thinking between her 2 stints with the jacks she has been with AJ somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 years

I dont think Rotert has enough experience yet? no? yes? would they go that route?
    what about Lori Fish at SCSU

does someone else, with or without Jackrabbit ties, come to mind?
    Emilee Thiesse at MN State-Mankato ?

Comment

I don't even want to go down this road, but I wonder if Macy Miller would return as an assistant, if AJ left (or be hired at U of M as one of his assistants there).

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

Emilee Thiesse at MN State-Mankato ?
        I didn't realize she was Amy Williams' sister.

Comment

Before you guys send Coach Johnston a fair well card, check this out- https://twitter.com/mcfeely_inforum/...X_dK9U6Q8Vy8Gg

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post
            Before you guys send Coach Johnston a fair well card, check this out- https://twitter.com/mcfeely_inforum/...X_dK9U6Q8Vy8Gg
            to be clear and i think i already have been
            i am DEFINITELY NOT leaning toward him going. i am HEAVILY leaning toward he stays, but not gonna say there is no chance.

did, however, think it was a reasonable time to wonder who potential next person up would be. particularly i am interested about Coach Thielbar. I am afraid we will probably lose her at some point, but that is what happens when you have a good head coach and a good program. eventually good assistants get hired away

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post
              Said every coach before he accepts a few weeks later.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

$250,000 in SD > $500,000 in MN

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post

Said every coach before he accepts a few weeks later.
                  yes well it is not like he said, I am not going anywhere, or there is no chance i am leaving, or anything like that. he simply said that the things currently being said have no basis in fact. they are strictly social media speculation. so what he said is true but does not seem to stop him from looking or going, if he is inclined to do either

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                    $250,000 in SD > $500,000 in MN

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
                    can i like your comment a lot more than once. there are a LOT of other costs too. the dollars is probably the least of it. obviously, for some people there are valuable payoffs too. at some point AJ and his family will decide if those payoffs are enough to make them endure the related costs

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

can i like your comment a lot more than once. there are a LOT of other costs too. the dollars is probably the least of it. obviously, for some people there are valuable payoffs too. at some point AJ and his family will decide if those payoffs are enough to make them endure the related costs
                      The base pay seems to be a bit more than the $250K. It does not address the bonus structure within the contract. I am guessing that those steps should sweeten the pot in addition to the basic coaches shows and/or other spiffs. There seems to be the social media explosion that continues to grab ideas before facts to keep information in front us to keep clicking the links.
                      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Something that hasn't been mentioned anywhere on here for the case of him staying at SDSU. He recently built a new house and his in-laws just moved to Brookings. Sounds like they are keeping their roots firmly planted in Brookings.

Comment

Originally posted by SmittySDSU View Post
                          Something that hasn't been mentioned anywhere on here for the case of him staying at SDSU. He recently built a new house and his in-laws just moved to Brookings. Sounds like they are keeping their roots firmly planted in Brookings.
                          Smitty. The voice of reason.

Comment

Count me in the camp that does not believe that the U of M will hire a man for the highest profile women's position on campus. Even if it would, I also believe that it would not and could not pay any more to AJ or another male coach than it paid Whalen. That effectively doubles AJ's salary but let's not pretend this is on the scaleof the men's side of the ledger, where even an entry level contract like Ben Johnson's (whose buyout is currently in the realm of $7,000,000) contract makes it difficult or impossible to say "no." A five year contract for $500k/year at a dumpster fire? Or a lifetime gig where you've spent a quarter century? The Big 10 isn't life changing money.

All that said, AJ deserves a raise.

Comment

i still believe, in the end, minny hires a female coach.

Comment

AJ will be one of Coyle's first calls. In fact he may be #1 with a bullet. The reality is Minnesota would probably be in the 3x total comp range compared to SDSU and be happy to work out the travel needed from Brookings to MSP as it's about a 50 minute plane ride.

Comment

Working...
                                X