Clear All

• Post Season

1st team All Summit
    Selland
    Hamling
    Borowicz
    Larkins
    Cooper
    those are all locks arent they?? top player from each ot the top 5 teams or would you debate someone else is the top player for one of the teams?
    I think Cooper is the least secure of the 5. seems crazy since she is the top scorer in the league, but i think it is a REAL debate if she is their best player. i probably give it to T Moore, but i still have to bet the top scorer makes 1st team

who is the final player on 1st team?
    i believe if you could readily say WHO is the #2 player for the undefeated league champs, that player would be next in line, but can you say that?? if Paige played all year she is probably here, but i think the debate comes down to Paiton or Timmer. i would give this to Timmer, but i really have doubts she makes 1st team

i honestly dont know who it will be

2nd place ndsu has Evans and i think she is a good choice too

My guess the final first teamer comes from the group of PB, Timmer, Evans, or Pilakouta from UNO (i am sure that is not how you spell her name! my apologies)

i really dont think i can make a good enough guess at who the 16 players on the all league teams will be. i think i can pick the top player for each team, but i cannot list enough of the next group

SDSU
    i think Myah, PB, and Timmer all make the list somewhere. will Tori make it for doing everything besides score much? not sure? she made it last year, but she scored at least 2 more points per game and in double figures

ndsu
    i think Hamling and Evans. i cannot say about any other

und
    Borowicz YES. i would not know who else? probably Orth or Behnke

usd
    we can debate what numbers Larkin would put up on a better team, but she is a lock for all league. after that?? probably Duffney?

oru
    cooper and Moore. that should be all from the 5th place team

uno
    i believe that Pilakouta is still their best player, but i guess some might argue for Stanley or Grant

denver
    smith is the top scorer but Minnet is probably the DPOY so you decide who their best player is

STU, WIU, and KC
    Stafford from KC is a top 6 scorer in league and it is a big dropoff from the top 6 to #7. she probably gets recognized, but they did get last place. STU probably Negaard or Hill gets some recognition and i have no idea who for WIU

after doing all that, i think i can take at least a credible shot at the 3 teams

1st Team
    Selland, i believe she will be POY, but i think it is not a total slam dunk and people could make solid arguments for any of the 4 listed next, especially the next 3
    Hamling
    Borowicz
    Larkins
    Cooper
    Timmer (she will be on one of the teams but i doubt here really, but nobody else is clearly more deserving)

2nd Team
    Paiton
    E Evans
    Pilakouta
    Moore
    M Minnet

lot of post types in this group. if they want it to go more by position, some of them will be HM but i think these are very arguably the next best players. all 5 have a solid argument for replacing Timmer on 1st team

HM Team
    Orth
    Stanley-uno
    Smith- denver
    Tori (but i wont be shocked if this is one of our PGs)
    Stafford

Defense and Newcomer
    i will leave most of this up to someone else but

i think Kallie should be DPOY. hopefully at least she is on the team. Minnet probably gets the award or maybe T Moore. they are both in the top 3 in blocked shots and rebounds and those stats usually carry a lot of weight in this award. if Kallie played equal minutes, she would be right there statistically and i believe she is a significantly better overall defender

i will guess Dru is on the newcomer team and i wont be shocked if she gets the top award but i doubt it

if AJ is not coach of the year it is mildly criminal but not overly important. he has bigger goals in mind

Posted my predictions in another location:

Coach of the Year: AJ
    Defensive Player of the Year: Makayla Minett, DU
    6th Person of the Year: Kallie Theisen, SDSU

1st Team All Conference:
    POY: Myah Selland, SDSU
    Kacie Borowicz, UND
    Hannah Cooper, ORU
    Grace Larkins, USD
    Heaven Hamling, NDSU
    Elena Pilakouta, Omaha

2nd Team All Conference:
    Haleigh Timmer, SDSU
    Paiton Burckhard, SDSU
    Tirzah Moore, ORU
    Anna Deets, WIU
    Maggie Negaard, UST

All Newcomer:
    NOY: Manna Mensah, KC
    ROY: Elle Evans, NDSU
    Ruthie Udoumoh, ORU
    Emma Smith, DU
    Aaliyah Stanley, Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
      Posted my predictions in another location:

Coach of the Year: AJ
      Defensive Player of the Year: Makayla Minett, DU
      6th Person of the Year: Kallie Theisen, SDSU

1st Team All Conference:
      POY: Myah Selland, SDSU
      Kacie Borowicz, UND
      Hannah Cooper, ORU
      Grace Larkins, USD
      Heaven Hamling, NDSU
      Elena Pilakouta, Omaha

2nd Team All Conference:
      Haleigh Timmer, SDSU
      Paiton Burckhard, SDSU
      Tirzah Moore, ORU
      Anna Deets, WIU
      Maggie Negaard, UST

All Newcomer:
      NOY: Manna Mensah, KC
      ROY: Elle Evans, NDSU
      Ruthie Udoumoh, ORU
      Emma Smith, DU
      Aaliyah Stanley, Omaha
      I did remember that you had posted earlier, but i could not remember where. obviously, we think alike on the first team and i think Pilakouta instead of Timmer is more than reasonable but i will not be surprised by either one of them or a few others getting that spot

I dont think the league does a ROY or FOY anymore?? but totally agree it will be Evans if they do
      i did not list 6th woman (or 6th man in the MBB post) but if that is anyone other than Kallie it will be beyond frustrating. was it you or someone else that said earlier it would be between her and Paige? i think Paige would be out of the running now, since she has been a starter for nearly half of the league games

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

I did remember that you had posted earlier, but i could not remember where. obviously, we think alike on the first team and i think Pilakouta instead of Timmer is more than reasonable but i will not be surprised by either one of them or a few others getting that spot

I dont think the league does a ROY or FOY anymore?? but totally agree it will be Evans if they do
        i did not list 6th woman (or 6th man in the MBB post) but if that is anyone other than Kallie it will be beyond frustrating. was it you or someone else that said earlier it would be between her and Paige? i think Paige would be out of the running now, since she has been a starter for nearly half of the league games
        Yes they still do this. Last year had a ROY (Tirzah Moore) and NOY (Brooklyn McDavid). They always have at least one of these and sometimes both.

It was someone else who thought it could be Paige for 6WOY, but I excluded her as she had started a game by that time.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post

Yes they still do this. Last year had a ROY (Tirzah Moore) and NOY (Brooklyn McDavid). They always have at least one of these and sometimes both.

It was someone else who thought it could be Paige for 6WOY, but I excluded her as she had started a game by that time.
          THANK YOU for the correction!!

again, i totally agree with you. ROY has gotta be Evans
          not exactly the right thread but it is related, do you have a call on these for MBB?

i picked Mitchell KC for newcomer for the men but LOTS of good choices
          if they also do ROY i think it has to be Rhode from STU but there are also a lot of impressive freshman

Comment

From the league website:

2022-23 Summit League Women’s Basketball Awards
            First Team All-Summit League
            Kacie Borowicz, North Dakota (Sr., G)*
            Hannah Cooper, Oral Roberts (Sr., G)
            Heaven Hamling, North Dakota State (Sr., G)**
            Grace Larkins, South Dakota (So., G)
            Tirzah Moore, Oral Roberts (So., F)*
            Myah Selland, South Dakota State (R-Sr., F)^***

Second Team All-Summit League
            Paiton Burckhard, South Dakota State (Sr., F)***
            Paige Meyer, South Dakota State (So., G)*
            Maggie Negaard, St. Thomas (Sr., G)
            Elena Pilakouta, Omaha (Gr., C)
            Haleigh Timmer, South Dakota State (So., G)

Honorable Mention All-Summit League
            Anna Deets, Western Illinois (Jr., G)
            Elle Evans, North Dakota State (Fr., G)
            Makayla Minett, Denver (Sr., F)
            Emma Smith, Denver (Fr., G)
            E’Lease Stafford, Kansas City (Gr., G)

^Player of the year automatically earns a spot on the first team
            *previous all-league selections noted above

All-Defensive Team
            Hannah Cooper, Oral Roberts (Sr., G)
            Grace Larkins, South Dakota (So., G)
            Makayla Minett, Denver (Sr., F)
            Claire Orth, North Dakota (Gr., G)

All-Newcomer Team
            Dru Gylten, South Dakota State (Gr., G)
            Emma Smith, Denver (Fr., G)
            E’Lease Stafford, Kansas City (Gr., G)
            Ruthie Udoumoh, Oral Roberts (Jr., F)

Player of the Year
            Myah Selland, South Dakota State

Defensive Player of the Year
            Makayla Minett, Denver

Sixth Woman of the Year
            Kallie Theisen, South Dakota State

Freshman of the Year
            Elle Evans, North Dakota State

Newcomer of the Year
            E’Lease Stafford, Kansas City

Coach of the Year
            Aaron Johnston, South Dakota State

Comment

Timmer should have been on the 1st team in place of one of those ORU players

Comment

In my opinion, I dont see any glaring problems with the awards

i believe you could argue against the 5th place team having 2 on the first team, but i do think T Moore is a worthy choice. I would pick her ahead of Cooper and i just think there was no way they were NOT having the league scoring leader on first team

the challenge for the 3 Jacks on second team, i believe, is that there was no way to say that one of them was our clear second best player. as i said before, i would have put Timmie on first team and T Moore on second, but i cannot say that Moore is not a first team talent and deserving

I actually think the biggest error is Negaard on 2nd team. I cannot see any criteria that puts her ahead of Evans from 2nd place NDSU except she is a senior and Evans a freshman?? i actually would put every player from the HM team except Deets ahead of Negaard

overall i think they got it very very right. congratulations to everyone included in the awards and especially to the 7 Jacks!!

Comment

Jacks on second team basically got penalized for not playing enough minutes to rack up better stats. When you look at minutes played during conference games, the Jacks had no one in the top 25.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                    Jacks on second team basically got penalized for not playing enough minutes to rack up better stats. When you look at minutes played during conference games, the Jacks had no one in the top 25.
                    We can hope the accolades can be found in an All Tourney recognition. That would include the SLT Trophy which is likely on the team's goals list.
                    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

The Best Defensive team, by a literal mile, did not get ONE player on the all defense team.

And all 3 of our second team players are better than pretty much everyone on the first team. Just because they don't have the stats.

Whatever. Take home the hardware that matters.

Comment

Who from our starting 5 would you replace with someone from another team? That should be your first team. Making sure to exclude players because their team is REALLY good is trash. I hate post-season awards because of this sort of thing. I also hate all-star games and all-tourney teams. Now, get off my LAWN!
                        One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                          100%!!

Kallie also got hurt by this awards wise. if you calculate the production per minutes played all of our players move up. happy for Kallie to be 6th POY, but she really should have been on the defense team and easily would have been if she played 5-7 minutes more each game

and all of Paige, Paiton, and Timmie would have been higher on scoring, rebounding, and assist charts if you added a few more minutes each game, but i do not think individual awards are the top priority for these girls. if that was the priority, we would see more attitude challenges about minutes and roles

at the end of the day a person could whine about this or be happy the jacks have so many quality players and focus on team goals and the post season (as OH pointed out)

curious, however, which of the Jacks would you have had joining Myah on first team? as i said above, i have Timmie as our season long #2. maybe different if Paige and / or Dru was healthy all year.

I really think it is underrated how much impact this injury has had on Dru all year. remember she LED THE PAC 12 in assists last year. the Pac 12 is one of the very very best WBB conferences. it has been great to have her and she has made a good contribution!! but i do not think we have seen close to what she is capable of when she is healthy

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                            The Best Defensive team, by a literal mile, did not get ONE player on the all defense team.

And all 3 of our second team players are better than pretty much everyone on the first team. Just because they don't have the stats.

Whatever. Take home the hardware that matters.
                            because all defense team always comes down to blocks, steals, and rebounds and our style is about good team play and positioning, not blocks and steals

Kallie is 6th in blocks, Myah is 10th in steals, both are top 10 in rebounds and Myah is barely top 20 in the league in minutes played and Kallie does not play 20 minutes a game

BEST DEFENSIVE TEAM, you said it and i am sure that is the goal this team had way above any individual awards

Comment

Number of shots taken this season : Borowicz - 490 ; Cooper - 435 ; Larkins - 403 ; Hamling - 395 ; Selland - 322 and Timmer - 285.

Comment

Working...
                              X