Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GrandpaLee
    replied
    "In addition, I am hopeful that Paige Meyer is available for the conference play as she is a preseason choice for 1st team." [/QUOTE]

We'll need the depth and energy she brings when March rolls around. Never have 'too many" good players in a rotation, especially at the point.

Leave a comment:

• OldHare
    replied
    Outside of the remarks asking why not unanimous recognition, we should realize that the yotes are likely the 2nd best team headed into the season. Even though 2 starters jumped ship, the rest of the team stayed intact including recruits from Coach P. KC lost players and coach that was built for a 1 year surge and the 6th place is realistic and maybe optimistic. WBB in the Summit is much less competitive than the fans should accept. Jackrabbit WBB continues to elevate while the majority of the field slides. The Jackrabbit OOC schedule should result in 7-5 or better for conference play to polish the skills of this experienced group. In addition, I am hopeful that Paige Meyer is available for the conference play as she is a preseason choice for 1st team.

Leave a comment:

• jakejc795
    replied
    Originally posted by 91jack View Post

I could be wrong but in some polls you can NOT vote for your team.

There were 40 votes and they are 10 teams in the league. That would make 4 votes for each team.
    SDSU would have AJ, Sell, Zimmer and ???? that could not vote for SDSU.

If this is not it, I have no clue.
    Even if USD returned their two underclassmen (that were starters) along with their head coach, I do not think many people would have voted them over SDSU. They would have lost two all-time great players (maybe top 10 in USD history but I am not a USD fan so I don't know for sure) and their third best player of last years team, too. SDSU does not lose much compared to that.
    Coaches couldn't vote for their own athletes or teams, and the panel was comprised of head coaches, SIDs, and media. The question is whether "select media" are distributed evenly among teams. Take Midco, for example, you could have several panelists from there who aren't necessarily affiliated with a team (e.g., Greg Stemen and Newitt) in addition to beat writers "affiliated" with specific teams.

Leave a comment:

• LetsGoRabbits
    replied
    Originally posted by 91jack View Post

There were 40 votes and they are 10 teams in the league. That would make 4 votes for each team.

Even if USD returned their two underclassmen (that were starters) along with their head coach, I do not think many people would have voted them over SDSU. They would have lost two all-time great players (maybe top 10 in USD history but I am not a USD fan so I don't know for sure) and their third best player of last years team, too. SDSU does not lose much compared to that.
    you both mentioned the first thing. hopefully it is that
    otherwise it is people simply paying no attention at all. they are going strictly off of them being good last year. unfortunately i have NO DOUBT that there are people who are supposed to know about WBB who have no idea that they lose every coach and all 5 starters from last year

as to who they lost, NOT a usd fan either so MAYBE i am forgetting someone OR maybe they had a severe stud in the 70s before i paid attention to them. but i am willing to guess that they lost two players who pretty easily are among their top 5 all time at worst top 8 (i cannot imagine i am forgetting enough players that they have more than 6 players in program history who are better)

i think top 5 has to be
    koupal
    seekamp
    C duffy
    sjerven
    lamb
    you can debate the order if you want i am NOT putting them in order. but i feel very close to positive those are the CLEAR top 5
    and korngable was obviously an all league player. i will not guess where she would rank all time

so anyway YES you are correct even if they lost ONLY those 3 that is a huge loss

Leave a comment:

• 91jack
    replied
    Originally posted by Jackrabbit2012 View Post
    I'm not saying that fluky things don't happen and anyone can get beat on a given night, but can someone explain to me what the four people were thinking who actually think USD is a better basketball team than SDSU after losing all five starters from last year?

2022-23 Summit League Women’s Basketball Preseason Coaches' Poll
    1. South Dakota State 746 (36) 29-9 (17-1)
    2. South Dakota 676 (4) 29-6 (17-1)
    3. Oral Roberts 602 16-15 (10-8)
    4. North Dakota 522 15-15 (9-9)
    5. North Dakota State 475 11-18 (7-11)
    6. Kansas City 388 23-9 (12-6)
    7. Western Illinois 308 14-15 (5-12)
    8. Denver 227 10-20 (5-13)
    9. St. Thomas 211 7-21 (4-14)
    10. Omaha 199 7-19 (3-14)
    I hope the explanation is those four coaches are from SDSU and can't vote for their own team.

Leave a comment:

• Jackrabbit2012
    replied
    I'm not saying that fluky things don't happen and anyone can get beat on a given night, but can someone explain to me what the four people were thinking who actually think USD is a better basketball team than SDSU after losing all five starters from last year?

2022-23 Summit League Women’s Basketball Preseason Coaches' Poll
    1. South Dakota State 746 (36) 29-9 (17-1)
    2. South Dakota 676 (4) 29-6 (17-1)
    3. Oral Roberts 602 16-15 (10-8)
    4. North Dakota 522 15-15 (9-9)
    5. North Dakota State 475 11-18 (7-11)
    6. Kansas City 388 23-9 (12-6)
    7. Western Illinois 308 14-15 (5-12)
    8. Denver 227 10-20 (5-13)
    9. St. Thomas 211 7-21 (4-14)
    10. Omaha 199 7-19 (3-14)
    I hope the explanation is those four coaches are from SDSU and can't vote for their own team.

Leave a comment:

• Southeast
    replied
    I picked up one of the last two “court-side” tickets on that baseline a few days ago and today they announced the game will be on ESPN2. Might have to go in costume or something with all the TV time those seats will get!

There’s still one left, right beside the basket. $41+ fees.

Leave a comment:

• GoJacks2011
    replied
    For the South Carolina game, looks like just behind the baskets is all that’s left for tickets. Will be quite the atmosphere.

Leave a comment:

• ringthebells
    replied
    Just bought mine. Thanks for the reminder.

Leave a comment:

• GoJacks2011
    replied
    South Carolina @ the Pentagon tickets went on sale a few minutes ago on Ticketmaster. Over half sold already. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was sold out by the end of the day.

Leave a comment:

• bigticket1
    replied
    Originally posted by Roy View Post
    I'm not sure I can ask this correctly? Paige was hurt during the K C game on Feb. 26. If she comes back after Feb 27, 2023 would she be completing her first year of eligibility,, or has her freshman year concluded and she would be using her second year of eligibility?
    She would be using her second season of eligibility.

Leave a comment:

• Roy
    replied
    I'm not sure I can ask this correctly? Paige was hurt during the K C game on Feb. 26. If she comes back after Feb 27, 2023 would she be completing her first year of eligibility,, or has her freshman year concluded and she would be using her second year of eligibility?

Leave a comment:

• jackdaniel
    replied
    Looking forward to see how the talented group of freshmen play their first season, hope they learn fast and contribute early, and how much the bench from last season has improved, enough to get more playing time? Hopefully so. Also Kallie T and of course Timmer will see lots of playing time from their performances from last season. How will Gylten handle a new system leading the team on at the PG position. This is a very intriguing season for sure for me. We might be grooming a very special team by seasons end, but Jackrabbit basketball is always great fun to watch and very entertaining .Paige M coming back at some point is very positive too. Lots to look forward to.
    Last edited by jackdaniel; 09-09-2022, 06:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GrandpaLee
    replied
    Thoughts on the upcoming season:

1. Watch SoS (Strength-of-Schedule) rankings from Nov 1st-&-onward - SDSU easily top-20, pushing Top-10, until Summit League games commence.

2. Looking at competitors' rosters for 2022-23 and seeing oodles of Minnesota players. Lehigh has 6, while Creighton & USD have 4 each. Jacks have 5 from both MN & SD. (Yotes have 2 SD players)

3. Paige Meyer's recovery/return is likely mid-season. Options: redshirt, get her ready slowly for post-season, or does it all depend on team's needs & success?

4. Expecting monster contributions from at least two newcomers, other than Gylten. If we agree on the starting five, but off the bench comes who?

Leave a comment:

• goon
    replied
    Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

Kind of surprised they matched them up after they played twice last season.
    thats probably why. Should be good test for both teams again. Wouldnt be surprised regardless of what happens in this game.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X