X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bigticket1
    replied
    Originally posted by GrandpaLee View Post
    Battle 4 Atlantis bracket released. We play UCLA and then either Tennessee or Rutgers.

Difficult to defeat UCLA thrice in just under one year's time.
    Kind of surprised they matched them up after they played twice last season.

Leave a comment:

• GrandpaLee
    replied
    Battle 4 Atlantis bracket released. We play UCLA and then either Tennessee or Rutgers.

Difficult to defeat UCLA thrice in just under one year's time.

Leave a comment:

• peavy
    replied
    Battle 4 Atlantis bracket released. We play UCLA and then either Tennessee or Rutgers
    https://gojacks.com/news/2022/9/7/wo...-released.aspx

Leave a comment:

• Prairiehaas
    replied
    Bigticket and Jackdaniel, true and true. My point is, and again I'm not arguing for mirror schedules, interest in the season may improve with home games every week. For teams with a strong following that might not be an issue. For teams with light followings weekly home games might help attendance.

Leave a comment:

• jackdaniel
    replied
    Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
    I'm not arguing for mirror scheduling. That stated, an argument for mirror scheduling is it gives every school home games every week during the season.
    18 games, 9 at home , 9 away, whether or not mirror scheduling is used, same thing for travel expenses, in the long run they should also be the same, regardless of mirror scheduling used or not. It must be ease of making out the schedule, mirror scheduling is much easier is it not?
    Last edited by jackdaniel; 08-07-2022, 05:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bigticket1
    replied
    Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
    I'm not arguing for mirror scheduling. That stated, an argument for mirror scheduling is it gives every school home games every week during the season.
    The bad part about that is the event staff have to work every weekend once the conference schedule starts.

Leave a comment:

• Prairiehaas
    replied

Leave a comment:

• goon
    replied
    Originally posted by Southeast View Post
    The complaints are usually regarding in-person attendance, but mirror scheduling also sucks for those who have an interest in more than a single team and watch from home. How about those weeknights where nearly every Summit men's and women's game tips off around the same time? That's like the conference making sure no one watches TOO MUCH Summit basketball or gets too interested in what's going on around the league.

I guess the underlying issue is that, outside of SD, none of the WBB programs have much of a following. Also, apparently very few of the fans care to watch conference games that don't involve "their team". A great way to keep it that way is to make sure they're unlikely to tune in to another game.
    sucks for midco sports also. They can show a fraction of the games they could otherwise. if they had different games times and days, they could have games on TV basically everyday. I would have to imagine they are not a fan of this scheduling also.

Leave a comment:

• Southeast
    replied
    The complaints are usually regarding in-person attendance, but mirror scheduling also sucks for those who have an interest in more than a single team and watch from home. How about those weeknights where nearly every Summit men's and women's game tips off around the same time? That's like the conference making sure no one watches TOO MUCH Summit basketball or gets too interested in what's going on around the league.

I guess the underlying issue is that, outside of SD, none of the WBB programs have much of a following. Also, apparently very few of the fans care to watch conference games that don't involve "their team". A great way to keep it that way is to make sure they're unlikely to tune in to another game.

Leave a comment:

• OldHare
    replied
    It seems like mirror scheduling should be the first thing the new commissioner is asked about by any of the SD sports media. It’s so backwards that it absolutely has to be brought up.
    If I recall correctly, Fenton indicated early the mirror schedule would return this year. The mirror schedule and many of the rival games schedule is a sore spot for many fans and teams. The one item that results from no double header or no mirror schedule is the situation of possible Sunday games which could be a problem for student athletes. The members should have some influence to at least get some double headers on weeks playing a travel partner.

Leave a comment:

• jackdaniel
    replied
    It seems like mirror scheduling should be the first thing the new commissioner is asked about by any of the SD sports media. It’s so backwards that it absolutely has to be brought up.
    Right, unless they get public push back, they do nothing.

Leave a comment:

• Southeast
    replied

Leave a comment:

• LetsGoRabbits
    replied
    Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
    That's why they shouldn't do anything that destroys the attendance records of those few remaining institutions that do have a decent attendance, right? Their goal should be to grow attendance League wide , not create parity in attendance with the lowest common denominator.
    it really does seem like that is the idea. it is VERY hard or basically impossible to imagine any other sound reason for mirror scheduling. it is absolutely one of the stupidest ideas that i can recall coming across!!

while it totally seems like that is the intention, i am still hoping and trying to believe they must have some other reason and or some way that at least someone thinks this is good for ALL the schools. doesnt the conference benefit from good attendance numbers? and do the schools get to vote on this? and even the schools that have poor attendance, is their position that they DO NOT want fans from the other schools to come and help their attendance numbers because they do not want their own fans to look bad or be outnumbered?

in baseball for instance the yankees have by far the biggest road attendance. and other teams maybe do not like to be able to hear yankee fans cheering over their own fans, but at the same time EVERY other team tries to schedule the yankees in the way that allows them to take FULL ADVANTAGE of the attendance boost that they get when the yankees come to town. so are we saying that some of the summit schools are actually trying to keep opposing fans OUT instead of having the best attendance possible. i want to hope that is not true

double headers seems like a great idea FOR FANS!!!, but in actuality it would probably be opposed by both sides of the current debate. those who want max attendance would want to have as many events as possible. and at the same time, those who want to keep road fan attendance down have to think that bringing ALL the jacks fans (and other better attending road schools) for one double header would be a terrible idea

Leave a comment:

• jackdaniel
    replied
    Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

And that's saying something. There wasn't much to destroy for most of the teams in the league.
    That's why they shouldn't do anything that destroys the attendance records of those few remaining institutions that do have a decent attendance, right? Their goal should be to grow attendance League wide , not create parity in attendance with the lowest common denominator.

Leave a comment:

• MontanaRabbit
    replied
    Originally posted by DieselJacks View Post
    They need to go to doubleheader Saturdays at the very least, and either two separate weekday games or doubleheader games on the weekdays as well. This move has absolutely destroyed attendance numbers for several teams.
    And that's saying something. There wasn't much to destroy for most of the teams in the league.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X