Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who Will the next coach be?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=2696417

Here is a good link from espn on all the women's coaching changes around the country. I thought this might spark some good conversations and debate.
    I for one got the puking and crying out of the way last night and feel better today, so now I am ready to speculate on the next coach. ;D It is kind of fun actually seeing the opinions that everyone has about the possibilities out there.

Go Jacks!!!!!!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

The news of AJ leaving is really disappointing, but I think if all of us look deep down in our hearts we all know this day was coming.  It just came a little sooner than expected........

There are two things I'd like to comment on regarding the new coaching search:

1.  If Fred doesn't want the search for the new women's coach to be public, is SDSU going to catch grief for it not being public like they received for the search for the president?  I belive the search eventually ended up being public.  Well, the interviews did anyway.  If our coaching search and interviews are made public we can forget about finding a quality coach that currently has a job.

2.  I'm intrigued by the post of suggesting Nate Tibbetts as the next coach.  I believe he is a USD grad, but putting that aside he may be a great pickup.  He seems to be very charismatic and a good young talent.  However, I think he has his sights set on some bigger moves, such as an NBA assistant and eventual head coach.

If we try to pull an assistant away from a non-regional program such as Kentucky for example, we'll be going down the wrong road as I believe we definitely need someone with ties to the area.  Here's someone I just thought of that i know is now available........Brad Soderberg

If we don't want to go through this again in a few years, the state ABSOLUTELY has to address the 1-year contract issue for coaches.  How would you like to work from year to year knowing that your contract may not be renewed?  I'd definitely choose a mult-year contract, even if it would be a lateral move.

The head coach of SDSU women's basketball has to be an extremely attractive position right now considering the progress we made last year and all of the returning players and new recruits. If only for that stupid one-year contract.........

Comment

It was a sad night in our home last night, but hey, the sun came up this morning and life goes on. Best wishes to AJ and all he has done at SDSU in bringing us to the level we are at.

Very interesting ideas on new coaches. This should be one of the better DI jobs available at this time. Will be interesting to see which way the administration goes with the next coach. Would like to see Coach Mellum stay and try for the job, but sounds like she may be gone too. I think we are going to have re-think the year-to-year contracts to get any of the better coaches.

Keep throwing out the ideas and we'll see who hits the winner.

Comment

Soapbox alert:

Question: Is setting the dragnet for finding AJ's replacement to a 100-200 mile radius as some seem to think we should do the right thing? IMO - no. Find the best available coach to fit our situation, not find someone close to the situation and hope they fit.

I'm going on record as saying this is the most important hire of Dr. Oien's tenure. None of our programs have been at the level of regional and national attention that the WBB team is and then had to replace the head coach. Even more so, this is Fred's first real DI hiring opportunity, so he's going to be under the microscope thru the whole process. A wise man once told me that a good AD always has replacements in mind for unexepected changes. Let's just hope that Fred's seen this one coming for a while.

I'll be more than curious to see what Fred comes up with. When AJ was hired there were some good candidates brought in, any of which could have been hired. Worked out pretty good then, hopefully we get similar or better results this time around.
          I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Mellum as the Head Coach, Vogel and Hammon as the Assitsants!

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life
              Would like to see Coach Mellum stay and try for the job, but sounds like she may be gone too.
              Just because Mellum was not retained as an assistant does not mean she can not come back. Fred Orien stated that in D1, it is customary to let all of the assistant coaches leave after the head coach leaves. The reason for this is because the new head coach gets to pick the staff and nobody will want a head coaching job if they are being told who is going to be on their staff.

So with AJ going to UWGB, he will get to pick his staff and I sure that Mellum is high on his list. And Mellum will be available.

During the interview process, I would expect Mellum to at least get an interview and she will probably be fairly high on SDSU's list. If SDSU selects her as the next head coach, I'm sure that she will give it serious consideration and would be available to accept the offer, if the offer is extended.

So just because she was not retained, does not mean she will not be the next head coach.

Go State!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll
                Soapbox alert:

Question: Is setting the dragnet for finding AJ's replacement to a 100-200 mile radius as some seem to think we should do the right thing?  IMO - no.  Find the best available coach to fit  our situation, not find someone close to the situation and hope they fit.

I agree. Find the best Head Coach possible whether local or national. The two assistant positions and the two GA positions can still be filled to maintain the local contacts we need to keep for recruiting purposes.
                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Gonna go out on a limb and hope AJ comes back. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Comment

I think, since AJ is back where he was meant to be, we can end all speculation and close this thread... Mods, what do you think?
                    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Lock it and melt the tumblers.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic
                        Lock it and melt the tumblers.
                        I think we should blow this topic up at Cubby's. Kind of like the Bartman ball.

Comment

Who wants to donate the computer? ;D
                          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

* From the Moderator.

On motion duly made, seconded and unanimously approved, this thread shall be locked.

Comment

Working...
                            X