This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

It will be interesting to see if AJ would start two back to the basket post players. Don't know if remember him doing that before. Would mean that one of them would have to be able to step out and defend on the perimeter. I can see Mathiowetz making a big step next season. The game seems to have slowed down for her as the season went on, and the coaches definitely moved her up in the rotation.
    i think Thompson and Ober pretty much fit that description and could be a good comparison. Clarissa was more the defensive anchor and Thompson did more of the scoring. i will admit, Thompson was more inclined to step out and hit a fifteen footer than we have seen from Kallie and Meyer so far. but i have several close friends who know NW IA high school basketball extremely well. according to them she had very good perimeter skills in high school. i have been surprised that we have not seen that in any way this year. i actually think that either one of kallie or Meyer can guard at least competently on the perimeter

of those returning Maddie M would definitely be the closest to taking a starting spot, but i also think she is definitely the 6th player at this point, unless as you suggest, AJ simply does not feel that group of 5 is the most effective. but those two posts spent a LOT of time on the floor together this year and it never appeared to be a problem. obviously neither one of them can handle, pass, or shoot anywhere close to what Myah does!!!! but i think there is a great chance Brooklyn takes a big jump this offseason (kinda like her would be teammate at UNL) i do not think it is impossible she leads us in scoring next year. i am NOT predicting it at this point but i think she could lead us in points, rebounds, and shot blocking. again not predicting that, but i think it is possible. most likely scenario seems Kallie is dominant on defense and provides a bit of offense and Brooklyn is more the low post focus on offense, but also solid on D

i think our starting 5 is going to be incredible next year and our backups will be somewhere between solid and very good but i believe there will be a pretty clear dropoff after the first 5 or maybe 6 and 7 at the most.

Comment

• Fearless prediction: Jenna Hopp will become significant off the bench as #7/#8 player.

BTW: Transfer portal opens March 14th -
      Last edited by GrandpaLee; 03-08-2023, 09:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrandpaLee View Post
        Fearless prediction: Jenna Hopp will become significant off the bench as #7/#8 player.
        I hope you are correct, but at the same time, we will be guard heavy next year unless we get a post player via transfer. so for her to play significantly next year will mean she has to pass at least one maybe multiple of the expected starters, or the expected backups maddie m, ellie, and maddie v

i have already said it but i expect starters
        Kallie T
        Brooklyn M
        Tori N
        Haliegh T
        Paige M

by the end of the year i believe those 5 will all average more minutes than Paiton averages this year (i think about 23) and for sure one of them maybe 2 or even 3 will average more minutes than Myah, who lead us this year with about 28-29 minutes

my guess is Tori leads us in minutes because of her ability to play every position on the floor. if the roster stays as expected she probably starts the year as the backup PG and also probably our 3rd best post player and maybe 2nd best post scorer

most likely next two in minutes played are
        Maddie M
        Elly C
        but maybe Maddie V passes someone
        Mesa B gets about 13-15 minutes a game backing up both posts, when they dont move Tori into the post

i dont know much about Jenna but i was fully expecting her to be more likely to contribute next year than Hillary. unless Hillary really surprises, i believe she is a redshirt next year. i kind of expect jenna to redshirt too since we are guard heavy already

but if she can pass one of those currently on the roster WITHOUT them disappointing then that is good for the program. if someone gets passed because for some reason their play does not meet expectations that does not particularly help the program. good to have other options to step in so the program does not lose ground, but it does not move the program forward

Comment

• Transfer portal opens March 14th

​​​​​​
          Player 23-24 24-25 25-26
          Tori Nelson 6'0 R-Sr
          Kallie Theisen 6'1 R-Sr
          Madysen Vlastuin 6'0 R-Jr R-Sr
          Mesa Byom 6'2 R-Jr R-Sr
          Paige Meyer 5'6 Jr Sr
          Haleigh Timmer 5'11 Jr Sr
          Natalie Nielsen 6'3 R-Fr R-So R-Jr
          Brooklyn Meyer 6'2 So Jr Sr
          Madison Mathiowetz 5'9 So Jr Sr
          Ellie Colbeck 5'9 So Jr Sr
          Hilary Behrens 6'1 Fr So Jr
          Jenna Hopp 5'11 Fr So Jr
          Jaida Dunn 6'1 Fr So
          Katie Vasecka 6'1 Fr So
          Emily Fox 5'8 Fr So
          Mahli Abdouch 5'7 Fr So
          Claire Shepard 6'1" Fr So
          Totals 12 15 11

Comment

• Pretty cool story about the local talent and it's factor in the success of SDSU women's program over the years and into the future. https://www.dakotanewsnow.com/2023/0...ummit-tourney/

Comment

• Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
              Good news, the SD HS girls tournament starts Mar 9th, and Sheppards HS team Flandreau finally made it in the class A field. So everyone will have the opportunity to see her play.
              Flandreau played at noon. They will play again tomorrow at noon. Jaidyn Dunn and Jefferson are playing now.

Comment

• Originally posted by peavy View Post

Flandreau played at noon. They will play again tomorrow at noon. Jaidyn Dunn and Jefferson are playing now.
                Thanks Peavy, save me from having to look it up

Comment

• Originally posted by peavy View Post

tough day on offense for Claire. i think i heard 2 of 17 from the field. Hamilin is #1 and undefeated and a tough opponent. She looked good on defense. Hamlin star, wadsworth, had 12 in the first half. i am not sure who guarded her i did not see much of the first half, but she only got 2 pts in the second half and claire was guarding her the whole time. wadsworth got 4 pts in the last moments of the game when claire was out with a nose that would not stop bleeding. i did not hear a number but she also seemed to rebound pretty well

Comment

• Claire is raw offensively. Like others said she really only shoots spot up jumpers. She will have a lot of work to do before she plays in Brookings. But she’s only a junior in high school and as we have seen very few are ready right out of high school.

Comment

• Claire has a good shot from the little bit of games i have watched so far. But doesnt seem overly athletic. One play who stood out as a good athlete and skills is stebnor from mitchell. She passes the eye test as far as conditioning and athletic ability. Not sure what her overall offensive game is. These assessments are only of limited wacthing during the tournament and flipping between the games.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

• Watched parts of a couple of Jefferson's games and was impressed with Jaidyn Dunn. Moved really well for a post player. Made the AA all-tournament team along with Abdouch.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                          Watched parts of a couple of Jefferson's games and was impressed with Jaidyn Dunn. Moved really well for a post player. Made the AA all-tournament team along with Abdouch.
                          She looked bigger than 6 foot which is what she is listed at…

Comment

• Originally posted by salemjack View Post

She looked bigger than 6 foot which is what she is listed at…
                            I've seen her listed somewhere as 6'1, and she looked to be every bit of that.

Comment

• There has been talk on here about 3 pt. shooting for next year:

Good players usually show marked improvement one year to the next and I expect that from Paige and Haleigh esp. going from Soph to Jr. That's maybe some due to maturity and of course natural ability. Tori will most likely have improvement in multiple areas as her role probably expands. Kallie will be the monster around the basket and Brooklyn probably will do the same. And Kallie is 100% 3 pt. shooter?? She shot and made her first one against VT or am I wrong?

Some info. from our incoming 2 girls..2023 class...I haven't found info yet for 2023 3 pt shooting
                              on these girls but have some from 2022:

Behrens...Co-POY...2023 with Abdouch our 2024 recruit. 2022...Behrens shot 41% from 3pt. As a guard she scores, rebounds, assists and steals.

Hopp...1st team 4A ...All-State...Iowa. I believe 1st team All-State for 3 years. Plays all over the court. I saw info. a month or so ago that she was averaging 26 pts and over 14 rebounds, plus assists and steals. I thought the rebounds were a misprint, but no, she is a monster here! I haven't seen any info on her 3 pt shooting.

2024 Class:

I believe Abdouch, Vasecka and Sheppard are 1st Team All-State. Fox got pushed to 2nd team maybe most likely due to Koupal the Wagner Fr. being an All-Stater. Dunn is 2nd Team All-State. In 2022 all these girls except Dunn had 39 to 70 3 pointers starting with Sheppard and ending with Fox. Excellent potential here!

Comment

• Kallie airballed a 3 at Frost. She also made one the next game at Frost. It was during the conference season, but too lazy to look it up. Hell, it might have been the same game.

Comment

Working...
                                X