Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone update the stick in this thread with the lastest future rosters?

Comment

• Let me know if I am getting confused by COVID/medical redshirts, and if I need to add anything (future years, etc). For 2023-24, this is what the roster will look like:

Seniors

Kallie Theisen, 6’1” F
      Tori Nelson, 6’1” F

Juniors

Haleigh Timmer, 5’11” G
      Madysen Vlastuin, 6’1” F
      Mesa Byom, 6’2” F
      Paige Meyer, 5’6” G

Sophomores

Brooklyn Meyer, 6’2” F
      Madison Mathiowetz, 5’10” G
      Ellie Colbeck, 5’10” G

Freshmen

Natalie Nielsen, 6’3” F (Redshirt)
      Hilary Behrens, 6’0 G, Brandon, SD
      Jenna Hopp, 5’11” G, Glenwood, IA

Mahli Abdouch, 5'8" G, Sioux Falls O'Gorman, SD
      Claire Sheppard, 6’1” G/F, Flandreau, SD
      Jaidyn Dunn, 6’1” F, Sioux Falls Jefferson, SD
      Emilee Fox, 5’8” G, Mt. Vernon-Plankinton, SD
      Katie Vasecka, 6’2” G, Tea, SD
      Last edited by DieselJacks; 03-07-2023, 10:42 PM.

Comment

• i have never heard them talk about it, but i am very VERY close to positive that Kallie could have another year if she wants it. her freshman season she got hurt. that was the same season Myah got the medical redshirt and i dont think Kallie played as many games as Myah did

Comment

• Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post
          i have never heard them talk about it, but i am very VERY close to positive that Kallie could have another year if she wants it. her freshman season she got hurt. that was the same season Myah got the medical redshirt and i dont think Kallie played as many games as Myah did
          Looks like she played in 14 games before getting hurt. The cut-off for medical redshirt is 10, I believe Macy played 9 before getting injured.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

Looks like she played in 14 games before getting hurt. The cut-off for medical redshirt is 10, I believe Macy played 9 before getting injured.
            wow interesting. i had not gone to look at box scores yet but i would have NEVER believed she played in that many games. obviously the box scores would show the minutes too but i cannot help but think some of those games the minutes were extremely minimal. i guess my old brain played a trick on me)) thank you for doing the research

Comment

• Originally posted by DieselJacks View Post
              Let me know if I am getting confused by COVID/medical redshirts, and if I need to add anything (future years, etc). For 2023-24, this is what the roster will look like:

Seniors

Kallie Theisen, 6’1” F
              Tori Nelson, 6’1” F

Juniors

Haleigh Timmer, 5’11” G
              Madysen Vlastuin, 6’1” F
              Mesa Byom, 6’2” F
              Paige Meyer, 5’6” G

Sophomores

Brooklyn Meyer, 6’2” F
              Madison Mathiowetz, 5’10” G
              Ellie Colbeck, 5’10” G

Freshmen

Natalie Nielsen, 6’3” F (Redshirt)
              Hilary Behrens, 6’0 G, Brandon, SD
              Jenna Hopp, 5’11” G, Glenwood, IA

Mahli Abdouch, 5'8" G, Sioux Falls O'Gorman, SD
              Claire Sheppard, 6’1” G/F, Flandreau, SD
              Jaidyn Dunn, 6’1” F, Sioux Falls Jefferson, SD
              Emilee Fox, 5’8” G, Mt. Vernon-Plankinton, SD
              Katie Vasecka, 6’2” G, Tea, SD
              Talk about a re-load.

Yes, we will miss all 3 of this year's seniors. Maya is special, and Payton and Dru are both VERY good.

However, the team coming back will absolutely be favored to win again, And some of these incoming players are really really good.
              Also remember, they started the year with Colbeck and Mathiowetz starting when Paige and Dru were injured. Those minutes are valuable.

Comment

interesting!!

i dont feel like i have an abundance of wisdom about the recruits, so i would trust your perspective more than my own!! but i was thinking she was more of a combo forward in the mold or a Tori N. Tori obviously does have the ability to play both inside and out (although the outside shooting has almost completely disappeared this year. bummer but i really expect her to bounce back BIG next year as possibly the only player to play her final year next year-depending on decisions by Kallie and Regan, and possible transfers)

the jacks have tried to post Maddie a little this year (very little) but offensively she is (as you said!!) almost strictly a perimeter player. i really do believe that if the jacks needed it that they could use maddie to guard some less than elite post players. they have no need for it this year, except on switches, because they almost always have two other posts on the floor
                Good news, the SD HS girls tournament starts Mar 9th, and Sheppards HS team Flandreau finally made it in the class A field. So everyone will have the opportunity to see her play.

Comment

• From a post perspective think Mesa Byom could be a great contributor going forward. She would have earned a lot of minutes for most teams in the Summit. Also curious how Natalie Nielson developed in her freshman year.

Comment

• Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                    Good news, the SD HS girls tournament starts Mar 9th, and Sheppards HS team Flandreau finally made it in the class A field. So everyone will have the opportunity to see her play.
                    They upset STM and Reese Ross to get in too. Flandreau was the 12 seed in the SoDak 16…

Comment

• Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                      From what I've seen of Claire she is very much in the mold of Maddie V. Long player that spends most of her time at the 3 point line. Don't see a lot of posting up or drive to the bucket with her.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
                        From what I've seen of Claire she is very much in the mold of Maddie V. Long player that spends most of her time at the 3 point line. Don't see a lot of posting up or drive to the bucket with her.
                        obviously it is better to have some more variety to the scoring ability, but if she can shoot it well enough that becomes less of an issue. what about athleticism? even being limited on offense, long athletic players are great on defense. i feel like maddie v has been kind of limited as a defender too, so she REALLY needs to knock it down from the arc to be able to get on the floor

Comment

• Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                          From a post perspective think Mesa Byom could be a great contributor going forward. She would have earned a lot of minutes for most teams in the Summit. Also curious how Natalie Nielson developed in her freshman year.
                          hopefully both of them will really progress and they force some hard decisions!!! but my guess is that NN is a year away, maybe more, from any meaningful PT. I feel like Mesa can be a very good 3rd post and i hope can come close to Kallie and Brooklyn, but i also hope those two are ready to take a big jump forward and push for awards like defensive POY and all summit teams next year!!

again i will be thrilled if i am wrong and we have 4 posts who could be all league if given the PT, but i think Kallie and Brooklyn will be the clear top 2 with Mesa getting some time. the other factor is will we get a transfer?? OR will one of the other guards / wings- maddie m, ellie, maddie v push for a starting role or at least more time??? seems like the starting 5 is pretty clear and will be incredibly good!!! at this time next year will we be saying man if we could have had a player like Myah to go with this group they would have been the best team we ever had?? OR will we be saying it is amazing how so many of these girls showed extra levels in their game when they became the leaders and the experienced players and i never imagined it, but they took over for Myah without missing a beat

my guess is Kallie and Brooklyn are the best pair of post players in the league by a mile and very possibly the 2 best individual post players. T Moore is the obvious one to stop that. i bet those 3 battle all year for the league lead in rebounding and shot blocking

i wonder how often we will go a little smaller and put Tori at the 4 and another guard on the floor. i absolutely hope someone pushes to take a starting spot, but i doubt anyone stops Paige, Tori, TImmy, Kallie, and Brooklyn from being the starters, unless we get an exceptional transfer. (those have been pretty rare. the only transfers we have ever had in my memory who were that good were Tagyn Larson and Dru)

i think all 5 of those starters will have a great shot to be all summit. BEST case scenario our starters are better than the starters this year, and i definitely think that is possible!! i think the next 4 can also be good and i think some of them have a chance to be REALLY good!! but most likely we will not be as deep with little dropoff in talent next year

Comment

obviously it is better to have some more variety to the scoring ability, but if she can shoot it well enough that becomes less of an issue. what about athleticism? even being limited on offense, long athletic players are great on defense. i feel like maddie v has been kind of limited as a defender too, so she REALLY needs to knock it down from the arc to be able to get on the floor
                            Like I said, my comp is Maddie V. Claire isn't blowing by SD HS A level players to get to the rim. So hard to compare a girl playing against mid major D1 level talent to one playing mid level SD HS ball. But if you can't get to the rim at that level how athletic are you? Katie V. is able to. Hilary B. is able to while operating a class higher. We will find out definitively in a couple of years I guess.

Comment

hopefully both of them will really progress and they force some hard decisions!!! but my guess is that NN is a year away, maybe more, from any meaningful PT. I feel like Mesa can be a very good 3rd post and i hope can come close to Kallie and Brooklyn, but i also hope those two are ready to take a big jump forward and push for awards like defensive POY and all summit teams next year!!

again i will be thrilled if i am wrong and we have 4 posts who could be all league if given the PT, but i think Kallie and Brooklyn will be the clear top 2 with Mesa getting some time. the other factor is will we get a transfer?? OR will one of the other guards / wings- maddie m, ellie, maddie v push for a starting role or at least more time??? seems like the starting 5 is pretty clear and will be incredibly good!!! at this time next year will we be saying man if we could have had a player like Myah to go with this group they would have been the best team we ever had?? OR will we be saying it is amazing how so many of these girls showed extra levels in their game when they became the leaders and the experienced players and i never imagined it, but they took over for Myah without missing a beat

my guess is Kallie and Brooklyn are the best pair of post players in the league by a mile and very possibly the 2 best individual post players. T Moore is the obvious one to stop that. i bet those 3 battle all year for the league lead in rebounding and shot blocking

i wonder how often we will go a little smaller and put Tori at the 4 and another guard on the floor. i absolutely hope someone pushes to take a starting spot, but i doubt anyone stops Paige, Tori, TImmy, Kallie, and Brooklyn from being the starters, unless we get an exceptional transfer. (those have been pretty rare. the only transfers we have ever had in my memory who were that good were Tagyn Larson and Dru)

i think all 5 of those starters will have a great shot to be all summit. BEST case scenario our starters are better than the starters this year, and i definitely think that is possible!! i think the next 4 can also be good and i think some of them have a chance to be REALLY good!! but most likely we will not be as deep with little dropoff in talent next year
                              It will be interesting to see if AJ would start two back to the basket post players. Don't know if remember him doing that before. Would mean that one of them would have to be able to step out and defend on the perimeter. I can see Mathiowetz making a big step next season. The game seems to have slowed down for her as the season went on, and the coaches definitely moved her up in the rotation.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
                                Like I said, my comp is Maddie V. Claire isn't blowing by SD HS A level players to get to the rim. So hard to compare a girl playing against mid major D1 level talent to one playing mid level SD HS ball. But if you can't get to the rim at that level how athletic are you? Katie V. is able to. Hilary B. is able to while operating a class higher. We will find out definitively in a couple of years I guess.
                                again, NOT an expert, but from the things i am aware of, i feel like Katie V is the top of the next two classes coming in, at least tools and skills wise, hopefully she can avoid health issues. i think Hillary has a lot of talent, but her focus and motivation seem to come and go a bit. hoping when she gets surrounded by a bunch of excellent teammates she wants to see how good she can really be

Comment

Working...
                                X