This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
    If we get (4) commitments for '22 , that'd be 13 players for '22, maybe add a grad transfer if they wanted would bring the roster up to 14 players for 2022. Also add (4) more for '23, that'd make 14 on the roster for 2023. I wonder how that would work? Still too many freshmen for those two freshmen classes for those two seasons, '22 and '23 (4) ?

Jacks now show four roster redshirts. Future R/S's are strong probabilities from injury or developmental needs, which juggles class sizes and recruiting needs.
    Factor in: 319 WBB transfers this year D1-to-D1. Open market?
    Factor in: NCAA soon to allow the one-time transfer with immediate eligibility.
    Oof Da ....

Comment

• ya sure....ha, to be devils advocate here, don't the vast majority of Div1 transfers to Div 1 already have a particular school picked out ahead of time before putting in for a transfer? Seems that way to me. Thanks Grandpa Lee for your input.

Comment

• Puzzled by the choices all D-1 recruits & coaches face, as a result of the "...extra year of eligibility..." granted by the NCAA.

Will scholarship rosters expand with an extra year, e.g. Tylee Irwin now playing into 2022?
        Or, are coaches forced to trim to stay within the mandatory roster size (15?), or just redshirt freshmen routinely?

Again, with the one-time transfer changes imminent, does an open market flourish soon?
        Already 20 players in transfer portal for 2020-21 [ https://wbbblog.com/womens-basketbal...0-summer-2021/ ]

Overthinking, and missing the obvious ?? Do not see a clear course ahead, and would appreciate help navigating thru the options.
        Last edited by GrandpaLee; 07-19-2021, 04:33 PM. Reason: Jackrabbit roster posted does answer the SDSU choices to handle "...the extra year of eligibility..." 2021-22 roster has 17 with six seniors; three juniors, four sophomores, and four fresh

Comment

• Originally posted by GrandpaLee View Post
          Puzzled by the choices all D-1 recruits & coaches face, as a result of the "...extra year of eligibility..." granted by the NCAA.

Will scholarship rosters expand with an extra year, e.g. Tylee Irwin now playing into 2022?
          Or, are coaches forced to trim to stay within the mandatory roster size (15?), or just redshirt freshmen routinely?

Again, with the one-time transfer changes imminent, does an open market flourish soon?
          Already 20 players in transfer portal for 2020-21 [ https://wbbblog.com/womens-basketbal...0-summer-2021/ ]

Overthinking, and missing the obvious ?? Do not see a clear course ahead, and would appreciate help navigating thru the options.
          These are great questions to which I don't have an answer. I do think the one time transfer is a way out for homesick kids. They make a transfer and find the same problems they were having at the former school. So it gives them a chance to grow up in areas that they are vulnerable. They may seem super because they run up and down the floor, but they are 18 to 22 year old's and have emotions just like everyone else. The one transfer in the portal that I thought was interesting is the 6'2" athlete from Rice. Rice is a great school academically. If you are there on a free ride, why would you transfer? Much more to the story I am sure.. This new transfer rule is no doubt going to be interesting. These changes are going to force coaches to make many more evaluations.

Comment

• Washington Post writer illustrates with fall sport example that someone loses in the extra year shuffle.
            Clarifications will be forthcoming and re-interpreted continuously in WBB.
            Wary of the qualifier: "... either fewer freshmen can come in or players can't stay for the fifth year..."

https://twitter.com/EmilyGiam/status...038785/photo/1

Comment

• Originally posted by GrandpaLee View Post
              Washington Post writer illustrates with fall sport example that someone loses in the extra year shuffle.
              Clarifications will be forthcoming and re-interpreted continuously in WBB.
              Wary of the qualifier: "... either fewer freshmen can come in or players can't stay for the fifth year..."

https://twitter.com/EmilyGiam/status...038785/photo/1
              I had understood that the athletic program would need to find the extra money for extra time players could stay on the roster. There would be a time expanded rosters are fine as long as the program money could be supplied. There is the funding that may determine that extra year. The unintended consequences part of the formula will stretch some programs.
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

• Originally posted by OldHare View Post

I had understood that the athletic program would need to find the extra money for extra time players could stay on the roster. There would be a time expanded rosters are fine as long as the program money could be supplied. There is the funding that may determine that extra year. The unintended consequences part of the formula will stretch some programs.
                That won't be quite so hard for smaller roster sports like basketball where you might have 1 or 2 seniors who want to come back. I saw a tweet from a West River reporter who did an interview with Stig, and he said that 13 seniors want to return. That's out of 16 that I counted on the roster. That would amount to a pretty big chunk of change. It's going to force coaches to make some tough decisions on who they want (and can afford) to bring back.

Comment

• Haleigh Timmer had a monster game last night as #1 STM (Class A) beat #1 SF Washington (Class AA). 21 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals, 1 block. Timmer has always been a stat stuffer, but it's great to see her do that against a team with two P5 players with an abundance of size and athleticism.

Comment

• Replay at

http://washington.liveticket.tv/inde...-game&id=27186

Comment

• Originally posted by Project-Badass View Post
                      Re: Future Rosters

I'll throw together a list of players who are either committed, have D1 offers, or players I think will be D1 players.

Madysen Valstuin - Lennox: Signed with SDSU

Emma Ronsiek - SF O'Gorman: Signed with Creighton

Morgan Hansen - SF Lincoln: Signed with USD

Kyah Watson - RC Stevens: Signed with USD

Sydni Schetnan (2021) - SF Washington: Offers from Kansas, Nebraska, Kansas St, Indiana St, NDSU. Sydni is 6'5 and very athletic so I wouldn't be surprised to see some more P5 offers come in. Very good volleyball player as well.

Lexi Unruh (2021) - SF Christian: Committed to Creighton.

Bella Swedlund (2022) - Winner: Visited Colorado State

Hannah Ronsiek (2022) - SF O'Gorman

Ndjakalenga Mwenentanda (2022) - SF Washington: Getting more P5 interest than Schetnan. Similar player to Myah Selland in that they're both versatile players that can play guard or forward. Mwenentanda is one of the most athletic players in the state.

Kaela Martinez (2022) - SF Roosevelt: Got an offer from Wayne State as a freshman. I think she has D1 potential.

Hillary Behrens (2023) - Brandon Valley: Has an offer from SDSU.

Avery Broughton (2023) - Corsica/Stickney

Emilee Fox (2024) - Mount Vernon/Plankinton
                      Do we have any offer out to either Bella Swedlund of Winner (C/O 22) or Avery Broughton of Corsica-Stickey (C/O 23)? I saw they played the other night. Swedlund put up better numbers but I also think is on a better all-around team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by salemjack View Post

Do we have any offer out to either Bella Swedlund of Winner (C/O 22) or Avery Broughton of Corsica-Stickey (C/O 23)? I saw they played the other night. Swedlund put up better numbers but I also think is on a better all-around team.

Broughton yes, Swedlund no. Swedlund hasn't really gotten much attention from regional teams for whatever reason, while Broughton has offers from SDSU, USD, UND, and Drake.

Comment

• Swedlund is only 5 foot 8 inches. But she’s seem like a real good ball player. It would be awesome to get Broughton and that Fox girl. Some real good in state talent that would be loved in Brookings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Project-Badass View Post
                            g
                            Broughton yes, Swedlund no. Swedlund hasn't really gotten much attention from regional teams for whatever reason, while Broughton has offers from SDSU, USD, UND, and Drake.
                            Rushmore Bball (poster) may disagree, but Swedlund may be a player that doesn't project athletically to be a big difference maker. Great ball player that lacks some some size and athleticism, but will be a good player wherever she goes. I still trust AJ as we have a small guard in Paige Meyer already committed.

Timmer looks to be a real get in the class, very versatile and will play from day one. Not as much potential as the SF Washington recruits, but likely has a better 4 year career since she is already P5 ready.

Comment

• Keep your eyes on Claire Sheppard, class of 2024, out of Flandreau. Impressive young player. Already 6’1 and has a really diverse game. Willing to post up down low and has a nice shot from outside. Seems quick and makes a lot of plays on the defensive end. Flandreau seems to have a good program going over there and looks like they have a real good freshman class right now. Wouldn’t be surprised if they have some nice state tournament runs with Sheppard leading the pack.

Comment

• Originally posted by salemjack View Post
                                Keep your eyes on Claire Sheppard, class of 2024, out of Flandreau. Impressive young player. Already 6’1 and has a really diverse game. Willing to post up down low and has a nice shot from outside. Seems quick and makes a lot of plays on the defensive end. Flandreau seems to have a good program going over there and looks like they have a real good freshman class right now. Wouldn’t be surprised if they have some nice state tournament runs with Sheppard leading the pack.

Is that Brendans daughter? Brendan played basketball at DWU?

Comment

Working...
                                X