Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More on Malcom Gladwell's "Outliers": To make his point as described above, he takes an in-depth look at Canadian Youth Hockey. Starting with youth leagues, better players get more playing time, more ice time.

Leagues are organized by age ranges that start/cutoff on January 1 of a given year. This may give a slight advantage to kids with Jan-Mar birthdays, since by being older in their group, they are likely to be bigger, faster, stronger, etc.

Unintended consequences: 90% of the Canadian Junior National Team (U-17?) is Jan-Mar birthdays. Eventually the shear number of hours advantaged to others is insurmountable by late bloomers.

My apologies for the thread drift, but the book is a great read.

Comment

• Summer Slam in MSP results: Haleigh Timmer on North Tartan 17u EYBL won top division 4-0. Paige Meyer on Minnesota Comets 17u won second division 4-0.

Both teams entered in MN State AAU tourney this weekend, Friday to Sunday, Bloomington Jefferson HS, Kennedy HS, and Shakopee HS. AND in end-of-season Meltdown National AAU Championships Aug 14-to-16, also in MSP. Restricted attendance but live streaming @ paysite www.passthaball.com - schedule on www.tournamentdepot.com

UPDATE: NT EYBL won the D! AAU title over MN Fury 17u UAA - a team that beat NT for last weekend's MN State AAU win. MN Comets won fifth in D1, over MN FBC North. Jacks are getting two energetic BB wizards from the HS Class of 2021.
      Last edited by GrandpaLee; 08-16-2020, 09:11 PM. Reason: update on final results

Comment

• Texas Tech WBB mess should worry two SD universities with outstanding, proven head coaches. Short-list candidates likely to be contacted by any search firm anytime - Big dollar$ waved around by the Guns-Ups crowd.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrandpaLee View Post
          Texas Tech WBB mess should worry two SD universities with outstanding, proven head coaches. Short-list candidates likely to be contacted by any search firm anytime - Big dollar$ waved around by the Guns-Ups crowd.
          If my memory is correct, AJ was one of the front runners when Stollings was given the job.

Comment

Texas Tech WBB mess should worry two SD universities with outstanding, proven head coaches. Short-list candidates likely to be contacted by any search firm anytime - Big dollar$ waved around by the Guns-Ups crowd.
            In normal times, it would be difficult to attract an established coach to come in and clean up a mess like this roughly a month before official practices start. But add in the pandemic, and you have to move your family to a state that is one of the hot spots in the entire country. For what may be a shortened season, or maybe no season at all. You would think that it would take a lot of $ to get a name coach to buy into that.

Comment

• Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post

If my memory is correct, AJ was one of the front runners when Stollings was given the job.
              At both Texas Tech and with Gophers.

Comment

• https://www.argusleader.com/story/ne...ey/3300706002/

2018 article on AJ's longevity
                Last edited by GrandpaLee; 08-10-2020, 08:25 AM. Reason: Topic & Vintage not cited

Comment

This is my favorite LINK to that momentous occasion , "just stopping for a glass of "orange" , ah, refreshing"

Comment

• Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

In normal times, it would be difficult to attract an established coach to come in and clean up a mess like this roughly a month before official practices start. But add in the pandemic, and you have to move your family to a state that is one of the hot spots in the entire country. For what may be a shortened season, or maybe no season at all. You would think that it would take a lot of $ to get a name coach to buy into that.
                    Just speaking for myself, that program has a lot of mistrust and pain to anguish through before it can ever get back to where it was during its best times, that's a lot to ask for for an incoming coach, to deal with all that and be expected to do that and still focus on winning games would be a lot to have to deal with. Could you even talk to your players in a stern tone to try and get a point accross to them without further damaging their self esteem the previous coach left you.It would be much more difficult than switching to a program that doesn't have these issues for sure. Best of luck to Texas Tech, hope they succeed in healing and finding the coach they need in this difficult time to get them through this.

Comment

• Final season tournament: AAU National/Meltdown: NT EYBL 17u trailed MN Comets early in the second half when Haleigh Timmer took over on both ends, stealing, scoring, and rebounding. When she left for a rest. the 55-41 score favored NT. Paige Meyer was easily the Comets' best player, but NT was overwhelming, led by Timmer's energy, speed, and game IQ.

Next up for NT is Wisconsin Flight 11th featuring Lily Krahn who holds an SDSU offer, I believe. Comets face MN Stars, Hersch 11th - both games on streaming at 915am. Loads of D-1 players on all 17u teams from AZ to WI.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/lexannmakowski/s...03145245376512

Explictetive !!!

Comment

• https://twitter.com/lexannmakowski/s...03145245376512

Explictetive !!!

Comment

• Bummer.

Comment

• So, she was never offered by Williams until she showed great promise, is that why she "committed" to SDSU , or was she offered early by Neb too and just had a change of heart? Just wondering what the facts are. Best of luck to her regardless.

Comment

• i heard she was getting offers from other P5 schools lately, and she was giving them serious consideration. then the Huskers threw their name into the fold (i might be wrong but i think they offered her not too long ago). so, imo, there was a good chance she would have gone elsewhere even if it wasn't the Huskers.

Comment

Working...
                                X