This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Future Rosters

With Macy, Lexi, and the addition of Lindsey T. it appears that the point guard position has good quality and depth. However, besides Maddie it was looking a little bleak at the 2 guard position, so I actually think adding Riley Cash-Money is actually fulfilling a need for us. I am happy with the addition of anyone that can consistently knock down open shots since that was something we were seriously lacking last year.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
      With Macy, Lexi, and the addition of Lindsey T. it appears that the point guard position has good quality and depth. However, besides Maddie it was looking a little bleak at the 2 guard position, so I actually think adding Riley Cash-Money is actually fulfilling a need for us. I am happy with the addition of anyone that can consistently knock down open shots since that was something we were seriously lacking last year.
      I agree. AJ would not have pulled the trigger on this one without a need for her skill set - especially after having so many players glued to the bench this last year. Maybe he's looking for a Guebert backup, maybe he's concerned that Miller might not be up to speed for a while. He also could be setting things up for farther down the road - ensuring that the train keeps on rolling when Miller and Guebert graduate. That will obviously be a huge loss in the backcourt and having Jensen (who would be a senior) could be a huge factor in avoiding a drop-off.

Comment

Just my two cents worth - with 4 experienced guards we will be able to run more - wear the other team out. We probably haven't had enough guards to do that so much lately

Comment

Originally posted by 73alum View Post
          Just my two cents worth - with 4 experienced guards we will be able to run more - wear the other team out. We probably haven't had enough guards to do that so much lately
          Aye Aye captain.....'full speed ahead !!" I agree with your assessment of the situation.The foundation for nxt yrs team will be Miller,Thompson,Guebert,Stevens,Alexander and everyone else competing for floor time. Aj will play everyone as much as he can, depending on each individual contest. I think the coaching staff has been playing with the idea of developing a much better trapping defense,what with the guards he's recruited lately,who have a penchant for stealing the ball. Although we don't do a whole lot of it , maybe with more success we will.
          Last edited by jackdaniel; 05-17-2017, 06:06 PM.

Comment

So here is my guess at depth...

PG: Miller, Alexander, Theuninck
            SG: Guebert, Cascio Jensen, Tracy
            SF: Stevens, Palmer, Irwin
            PF: Thompson, Selland
            C: Larson, Bultsma, Flaata

I think the SF, PF, and C position are pretty interchangeable.
            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post

Lot of talent and should be a really good year if everyone stays healthy. If Bultsma can show dramatic improvement it will help us against the longer and athletic power 5 conference teams in the pre and post season.

Comment

I don't think we're giving the freshmen newcomers enough respect. I'm guessing that at least one them starts right away.
                This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post

I would swap Tracy/Irwin around and probably actually put Tracy ahead of Palmer. From what I've read (I haven't seen her play) but Irwin sounds like someone who is rail thin and so probably better projects to a guard. Tracy has the build for what we like in a 3, and honestly doesn't shoot the ball nearly well enough to be a 2. Maybe someone who has seen Irwin play can better explain where she projects that I can, but from what I've read on her I think she needs to be a 2 until she bulks up a bit.

SG: Guebert, Cascio Jensen, Irwin
                  SF: Stevens, Tracy, Palmer
                  PF: Larson, Selland
                  PF: Thompson, Bultsma, Flaata

I placed Thompson in more of the PF/C role because she has demonstrated a "back to the basket" type game. I haven't seen Larson play, so don't know if she is comfortable with her back to the basket or would rather face it. Therefore, I have her as more of the hybrid 4/5 until I see her play. Again, maybe someone else has better insight.

I personally don't see any of the freshman slotting in as starters right now. I could have seen Selland possibly ahead of Stevens, but she played mainly in a zone in HS so think she will have to pick up the defensive system better before AJ trusts her to start. Now maybe she picks up the system quicker than I think, but I think she will be an off the bench scorer for us her Freshman year who will slide into the starter role next year.

Comment

Did Stevens ever play anywhere other than PF during her first stint with the Jacks ? If I remember correctly, she was sharing time with Thompson there before she got hurt, and then Thompson took over. I could see those two splitting minutes there, and Selland playing SF - from what I saw during the state tournament, she definitely can shoot the 3 good enough to play there.

Comment

What we may be forgetting is how much Stevens body has transformed. I think strength and position will be her strong suit. If I were to guess Chynna has packed on 15-20 pounds of muscle since she last stepped on the court as a Jack player in a game. she may be considered the 3 at times but I think she'll be down in the paint a lot.

I think you could arguably say our depth will be as good as it has ever been. Heck a person could realistically say that this team could field 2 separate starting 5's that could win the Summit. I imagine the other teams are shaking their heads and wondering how to survive let alone compete the next 2 years...and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                        What we may be forgetting is how much Stevens body has transformed. I think strength and position will be her strong suit. If I were to guess Chynna has packed on 15-20 pounds of muscle since she last stepped on the court as a Jack player in a game. she may be considered the 3 at times but I think she'll be down in the paint a lot.

I think you could arguably say our depth will be as good as it has ever been. Heck a person could realistically say that this team could field 2 separate starting 5's that could win the Summit. I imagine the other teams are shaking their heads and wondering how to survive let alone compete the next 2 years...and beyond.

With new players you never know what to expect. Miller might not be as dominate, losing obers Defense etc. The team has potential for sure. If the new players and Larsen step right in, yeah. we are the team to beat. I don't remember but doesn't Western Ill have most of that team coming back? They are probably feeling like they have a chance. Cant ever count out USD. A lot of talent there too.

Stevens and Larsen I expect to help out with Thompson a lot. ITs going to be weird not seeing Kerri Young out there anymore.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          With new players you never know what to expect. Miller might not be as dominate, losing obers Defense etc. The team has potential for sure. If the new players and Larsen step right in, yeah. we are the team to beat. I don't remember but doesn't Western Ill have most of that team coming back? They are probably feeling like they have a chance. Cant ever count out USD. A lot of talent there too.

And those injuries, which we learned the potential of last season. I'm still pretty amazed at what that team accomplished without a player like Miller.

Yes, Ober's defense was something special and we'll notice that it is missing. I also agree about WIU being recognized as an obvious contender. I expect they'll get at least half the preseason #1 votes. As usual, we won't be able to take a couple of nights off during Summit League play and expect to be handed a championship - no matter who is in the lineup or how deep the team is. However, I really liked the team AJ had assembled a week ago and it is even better with the addition of Jensen. She may not have had much of a (true freshman) season at the dumpster fire that was Nebraska WBB, but she was considered USD's top recruit in a very solid class just a year ago. A change of scenery will probably put her back on track.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                            I'm not quite sure what you are smoking, but our starters weren't good enough to win the Summit the last 3 years. You are sure giving a lot of credit to players who haven't even stepped on the court yet. My prediction is our bench isn't anywhere close enough to win more than a few games in he Summit this year, but I hope they are good enough to combine with our starters to win the Summit.

Right now you certainly have to give the nod to a WIU team that returns it's too 4 players from last year. Us and USD will also be in the hunt. IUPUI loses one of its big two, so I think they drop a step behind. ORU and Omaha will be in the next tier and everyone else sucks.

Comment

A few interesting takes in the last several posts. On paper thinks look really good. Southeast hit the nail on the head when he talks about Ober and her defense and its impact this year. That will be missed big time. There is no doubt that there is a lot of talent being infused on to the team but that talent will be untested. There is no doubt that there are still a lot of strong parts coming back but there are questions. How good will Miller's knee be next year? Who is going to step up and fill the void left by Kerri Young? What about that post presence?

The Jacks should be the overwhelming favorite but we should stop short of crowning them just yet. Just look at what a knee injury did to the team this year!

Let's give AJ and staff the credit they deserve. They are slowly but surely upgrading personnel with each class coming in. They have done a fantastic job.

SUPERBUNNY
                              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Zimmer has some fodder this week about the upcoming team.
                                http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...mer/331909001/
                                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Working...
                                X