Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who is the best player in SDSU history?

I have to give my vote to Pater. She was strong as an ox and mean as a snake (on the court.) At times I would wish that SDSU would just make the FT, because I knew there was a good chance that Pater would get the rebound if they missed. She was the kind of player you would hate to play against and love to play with.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
      [quote author=SUPERBUNNY link=1171125616/0#9 date=1171147294]
      There are so many great players that have come before these ladies but they have all raised to the top of the career stats in numerous categories!
      Increased number of games, 3-point line, shot clock, etc.. all allowed recent players to surpass previous players from a standpoint of statistics.  You can't use the fact that the more recent players lead the career stats without admitting that bias.  There were some pretty darn good players in the 80's and 90's.  Career stats can be very deceiving.[/quote]

JackMD is right...which is the problem trying to compare players of the 80's of which Johnson was probably the best, with today's players.

But while the stats can't be compared, there are a couple of factors here. There is little doubt in my mind that today's players (recent years) are better basketball players than back in the 80s. Women's basketball was not as developed, girls didn't come as prepared to college as they do today, and the competition was much easier. That isn't to say that if the great players of those years, had the same strong high school background, and same competition, that they wouldn't be as good as the current crop.

Finally, comparing Vogel's stats to the other players on the poll isn't fair either, as Megan has had to play a lot tougher opponents, which certainly affects stats. In all probability, all comparisons are difficult and probably useless...but my vote still goes to Vogel...and I've seen the women basketball players at SDSU since the early '80s.

Comment

Voted for Vogel, not much of a question in my mind.

She's doing more against better competition while being the only senior leader on the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks02
          Voted for Vogel, not much of a question in my mind.  

She's doing more against better competition while being the only senior leader on the team.

I think Koupal was the best player ever to put on a SDSU jersey! how do you like them apples!

Comment

Originally posted by jacks r us
            [quote author=Jacks02 link=1171125616/15#17 date=1171604812]Voted for Vogel, not much of a question in my mind.  

I think Koupal was the best player ever to put on a SDSU jersey!   how do you like them apples!
            [/quote]

You mean the best player ever to put on a USD uniform and play on teams that never beat the Jacks??
            She was a good player...but no better than Vogel.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks#1fan
              [quote author=jacks r us link=1171125616/15#18 date=1171605063][quote author=Jacks02 link=1171125616/15#17 date=1171604812]Voted for Vogel, not much of a question in my mind.  

I think Koupal was the best player ever to put on a SDSU jersey!   how do you like them apples!
              [/quote]

You mean the best player ever to put on a USD uniform and play on teams that never beat the Jacks??
              She was a good player...but no better than Vogel.[/quote]

You need to use an open mind here!  If she had played with the Jacks, we win 3 National Championships!  Anyway, she would have been the best of all-time!

Comment

Woulda Coulda Shoulda. This open mind would take Vogal over Koupal anyday of the week. Vogel IMHO is the most complete athletic player to ever put on a Jacks uniform.

Comment

[quote author=jacks#1fan link=1171125616/15#19 date=1171690406][quote author=jacks r us link=1171125616/15#18 date=1171605063][quote author=Jacks02 link=1171125616/15#17 date=1171604812]Voted for Vogel, not much of a question in my mind.  

[/quote]

You need to use an open mind here!  If she had played with the Jacks, we win 3 National Championships!  Anyway, she would have been the best of all-time!
                  [/quote]

I am keeping an open mind...if Megan Vogel had played for the Jacks for three years as a sophomore, junior and senior, we would have won three nationals as well for gosh sakes. So what does that prove. Anyway, Mandy was good, but she never got a whiff of WNBA. Whether Megan will remains to be seen. And I repeat...while Mandy was at USD, her teams never beat the Jacks, home or away.

Comment

[quote author=jacks#1fan link=1171125616/15#19 date=1171690406][quote author=jacks r us link=1171125616/15#18 date=1171605063][quote author=Jacks02 link=1171125616/15#17 date=1171604812]Voted for Vogel, not much of a question in my mind.  

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not true. If Mandy had stayed at SDSU the likes of Schlagel and DeBoer may have went elsewhere. If Mandy was that good, where are usd2's 3 championships banners at. I guess maybe she played more for Mandy than for the team.

Comment

[/quote]

[/quote]
                      I feel stupider for keeping an open mind and reading that comment. Koupal was good but not that good. Sure she had size and could score and rebound but that doesn't mean she's a good team player. I'll take the players we had and the Champioship we won over "The best player to put on an SDSU jersey"

Comment

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think you're way off base here. I've had this arguement too many times with USD folks down in Vermville. Mandy Koupal would not have fit with the style of play that SDSU has become known for. Especially during the Nat'l Champ year. She would have slowed down our uptempo style. I don't think we would have won one NC with Koupal. I watched nearly every game b/w Jacks and Coyotes during those years. Mandy would get her points but she was always out of breathe and struggling to keep up with the pace of the game. However, I do feel that Stacy Schooley would have fit in nicely with those Jackrabbit teams. She was very athletic.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks#1fan
                          [quote author=jacks r us link=1171125616/15#20 date=1171945576][quote author=jacks#1fan link=1171125616/15#19 date=1171690406][quote author=jacks r us link=1171125616/15#18 date=1171605063][quote author=Jacks02 link=1171125616/15#17 date=1171604812]Voted for Vogel, not much of a question in my mind.  

[/quote]

[/quote]

I am keeping an open mind...if Megan Vogel had played for the Jacks for three years as a sophomore, junior and senior, we would have won three nationals as well for gosh sakes. So what does that prove. Anyway, Mandy was good, but she never got a whiff of WNBA. Whether Megan will remains to be seen.  And I repeat...while Mandy was at USD, her teams never beat the Jacks, home or away.[/quote]

I'm not here to argue that Mandy was the best player to ever put on a Jacks uniform, I'm only posting right now to correct your errors. Mandy did lead USD to two victories over SDSU. Mandy also received a lot of interest from the WNBA. However, she told them that she was not interested because she wanted to be an elementary teacher. That's why she was not drafted. She was the two time national player of the year, three time conference player of the year, the all time leading rebounder in NCC history and the all time leading scorer in NCC history. She shot an amazing FG%, she was anything but selfish, and she was loved by all her teammates at USD. She certainly can not be blamed for USD not winning a national title. She was obviously the biggest reason they won a conference title while she was there.

Maybe I'm off, but I really don't think having the best player in NCC history and the best player in DII would have hurt SDSU's chances of winning the national title. I guess we'll never know for sure, but I would be surprised if SDSU hadn't won at least one national title if Koupal had stayed all four years.

Comment

Originally posted by juice
                            [quote author=jacks#1fan link=1171125616/15#22 date=1171947270][quote author=jacks r us link=1171125616/15#20 date=1171945576][quote author=jacks#1fan link=1171125616/15#19 date=1171690406][quote author=jacks r us link=1171125616/15#18 date=1171605063][quote author=Jacks02 link=1171125616/15#17 date=1171604812]Voted for Vogel, not much of a question in my mind.  

[/quote]

[/quote]

I am keeping an open mind...if Megan Vogel had played for the Jacks for three years as a sophomore, junior and senior, we would have won three nationals as well for gosh sakes. So what does that prove. Anyway, Mandy was good, but she never got a whiff of WNBA. Whether Megan will remains to be seen.  And I repeat...while Mandy was at USD, her teams never beat the Jacks, home or away.[/quote]

I'm not here to argue that Mandy was the best player to ever put on a Jacks uniform, I'm only posting right now to correct your errors.  Mandy did lead USD to two victories over SDSU.  Mandy also received a lot of interest from the WNBA.  However, she told them that she was not interested because she wanted to be an elementary teacher.  That's why she was not drafted.  She was the two time national player of the year, three time conference player of the year, the all time leading rebounder in NCC history and the all time leading scorer in NCC history.  She shot an amazing FG%, she was anything but selfish, and she was loved by all her teammates at USD.  She certainly can not be blamed for USD not winning a national title.  She was obviously the biggest reason they won a conference title while she was there.

Maybe I'm off, but I really don't think having the best player in NCC history and the best player in DII would have hurt SDSU's chances of winning the national title.  I guess we'll never know for sure, but I would be surprised if SDSU hadn't won at least one national title if Koupal had stayed all four years.
                            [/quote]
                            Juice, I was just getting ready to post the same info! People need to do the correct research before they start throwing out things like, Mandy never beat SDSU, gratned we won the games that mattered but she did lead a team that beat us.

Comment

My bad...should have said she never beat us in a playoff or tournament game.

Comment

I think jacks r us is a usd2 fan. Why don't you post over on the coyote board with juice. Oh, thats right, nobody posts on their board.

Comment

Working...
                                X