Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU Jackrabbits @ Denver Pioneers

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
    Wonder if AJ regrets red shirting Severyn this year,and if she'd be in position ,had he not red shirted her, to be of any help.She's said to be very athletic,but whats that translate to for scoring, defense? Maybe it was a player decision, or AJ left the decision to her. The injury problems were confined to just Gabby coming back later in the season maybe, back then.
    I might be wrong, but I believe AJ could pull her redshirt at anytime he wants if he deemed it necessary. I know in football, redshirts are often lifted during what was hoped to be a full "redshirt" season when someone is forced into playing due to multiple injuries at a certain position. I'm assuming that's the same for basketball

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
      I might be wrong, but I believe AJ could pull her redshirt at anytime he wants if he deemed it necessary. I know in football, redshirts are often lifted during what was hoped to be a full "redshirt" season when someone is forced into playing due to multiple injuries at a certain position. I'm assuming that's the same for basketball
      No game experience at all, and the amount of time invested in red shirt year, don't think he'd waste a year of Severyn's playing career. I'd be surprised, unless she's shown a lot in practice, and our bench doesn't improve and players take too long to heal and we're in danger of not taking one of the top two seeds. Even then, no one knows how she'll play in high pressure games like the ones at the end of a tight conference race always are. Might be considered a desperation move by some, with little or nothing to gain. Hopefully,things turn around quickly.

Comment

Last year didn't Stevens have foot issues too,and sat out part of the season healing?Just vaguely remember. A chronic condition perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
          No game experience at all, and the amount of time invested in red shirt year, don't think he'd waste a year of Severyn's playing career. I'd be surprised, unless she's shown a lot in practice, and our bench doesn't improve and players take too long to heal and we're in danger of not taking one of the top two seeds. Even then, no one knows how she'll play in high pressure games like the ones at the end of a tight conference race always are. Might be considered a desperation move by some, with little or nothing to gain. Hopefully,things turn around quickly.
          I agree and I'm not saying it would be a wise move, just stating that he could pull the redshirt at anytime if he wanted to. Just because she is "redshirted" doesn't mean she is locked into sitting out the entire year.

Comment

I agree and I'm not saying it would be a wise move, just stating that he could pull the redshirt at anytime if he wanted to. Just because she is "redshirted" doesn't mean she is locked into sitting out the entire year.
            I did make it sound like that, didn't I. Sorry....I have heard of "pulling a players redshirt." Just forgot.
            Last edited by jackdaniel; 02-12-2015, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
              I didn't realize defense is an intangible. Last year Gabby had 85 steals. This year the five guards have combined for a total of 73. Last night AJ said the transition defense was terrible , which led to many uncontested threes for Denver. Our starting guards scored 47 points but we still lost , partly because Denver's starting guards scored 42. You can win games because of scoring lots of points , but when it comes to tournament time defense becomes even more important.
              excuse me. i should have been more clear---wasn't just talking about her defense. i completely agree you have to be able to play solid defense---but, the name of the game is still to put the basketball through the hoop.

Comment

Maybe if we had a better coach since AJ is SO overrated as a coach. Minnesota didn't even want him......I kid, I kid! I just wanted to say something controversial.....

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUSmitty View Post
                  Maybe if we had a better coach since AJ is SO overrated as a coach. Minnesota didn't even want him......I kid, I kid! I just wanted to say something controversial.....
                  No matter how sour the season ends AJ deserves a free pass. He has earned it and several free passes for that matter.

Comment

I agree Nidaros, I was completely joking. The next 2 years I think will be the teams to watch. All that young talent gaining experience this year will only pay of in the future.

Comment

He can't pull her redshirt unless she agrees to it.

Comment

Originally posted by krak-r-jacks View Post
                        wouldn't press Stevens or Waytashek. believe i posted somewhere before it wouldn't surprise me one bit if you don't see Stevens the rest of this year---MAYBE by tourney time. i thought i read somewhere that AJ stated the Stevens thing has been somewhat of a lingering issue? someone can correct me if i'm wrong. if your dealing with a 'stress reaction' in the foot, that can take some time to heal and if you push it, can easily be aggravated. unless MW is 100% before the tourney, i just hold her out. jacks need her for tournament time. you hate to have someone not have any gametime until then, but, it is what it is.

as far as gabby, sure, she would have been a huge help now---with all the injuries. but, i am also in the camp that says she most likely wouldn't have seen as much playing time as she has in the past. listen, i was thrilled she chose to be a jackrabbit, and she has put a lot of hard work on that floor. i get it, but, i just don't know how you would leave young and miller on the bench for very long. they are the offensive threat that eluded gabby more often than not. i'm just not sold her "intangibles" were so strong that she would have seen extensive minutes like she had in the past.
                        ---------

I agree with the first part completely.

Gabby might not have seen as much playing time as she has in the past but she would have played quite a bit. You have to look beyond the starters in AJ's system. Chloe and Alexis play about an average of 26 minutes/game. During those 26 minutes they average 3 points, two rebounds and have a assist + steal to turnover ratio of 1.6. I think Gabby last year played 21 minutes/game and averaged 6 points, 3 rebounds and had a assist + steal to TO ratio of 2.14. Gabby would have been the 4th leading returning scorer but we all know that's a little misleading.

Look at the game against Denver. Chloe and Alexis played 31 minutes. Between the two of them they were 0-3 from the floor and had 4 TO's. I know that is just one game but she definitely would have helped us out there.

If Gabby was healthy, you could have redshirted Alexis. I think that AJ leaves that decision up to the player but I think she could have used a year to help her get up to speed(I think most players could use a year-expecally men- so I hope you don't think I'm picking on her). Gabby would of been the best defensive guard that we have on the team. Somebody already pointed out that she had more steals last year than all of our guards together this year. I don't see another guard that has much of a chance at a steal with the full court press. Most of it just seems like token pressure.

I do wish that Chloe would get more playing time so that would have been complicated with Gabby but this is just my opinion.
                        Last edited by 91jack; 02-12-2015, 03:22 PM.

Comment

I agree....

Comment

If we look at the Denver game and consider that 72 points were scored by the Jackrabbits, putting the ball in hole is not the entire game. Defense should have limited the Pioneers to less than 77 points. Defense is probably more than 50% of the game when the entire process is evaluated. I would like to see 72 points every game, but the other team should not be scoring that many points. Defense is the key to that solution. Meanwhile, we can hope that Waytashek and Stevens are returning for action.
                            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                              If we look at the Denver game and consider that 72 points were scored by the Jackrabbits, putting the ball in hole is not the entire game. Defense should have limited the Pioneers to less than 77 points. Defense is probably more than 50% of the game when the entire process is evaluated. I would like to see 72 points every game, but the other team should not be scoring that many points. Defense is the key to that solution. Meanwhile, we can hope that Waytashek and Stevens are returning for action.
                              I agree, but we went 4:28 not being able to score one lousy point, if we could have kept them from scoring also, no harm, but is that even realistic to expect that, not really. Instead ,we let them score 16 straight points to go from down 5 to up 11.That's what usually happens when a team can't score, the other team takes advantage and goes on a run. That was the game changer in my opinion.

Have to be able to score, if for nothing else, to keep the other team from going on a run. Having to make a comeback, although valiant, most of the time ends up being futile. We've made too many valiant comebacks to no avail this year. Let's make the other team have to make the comeback.

If you ever look at the scoring chart on live stats, you'll see when a team can't score, it results in a flat horizontal line on the graph. Every time you see one, you'll see the other team go further ahead if ahead, or draw closer or go ahead if behind. You don't see for long two flat lines running parallel with one another, one side will always take advantage of the others shooting woes, and go on a run. I don't think Denver's defense is all that great ....so we just shot lousy. We missed a lot of good shots.

Actually (Ideally), you need both a strong defense ,and the strong offense to take advantage of your strong defense holding them down. What good is a strong defense, if you do not have the offense to take advantage and widen the scoring margin. Notre Dame comes to mind, their defense is tough and hard to score against, and on the offensive side, they are very consistent scoring, so they steadily pull away, most times ending up with a lop sided victory.
                              Last edited by jackdaniel; 02-12-2015, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                                The Jacks seldom lose low scoring games. In their 8 losses , the opposing team has put up just over 80 points per game.

Comment

Working...
                                X