Middle Tennessee State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Middle Tennessee State

As far as getting to know the players, their tendencies, becoming familiar with their style of play, by refereeing the same teams numerous times can be good or bad. Again, depends on the ref. It's a tough job guaranteed to make some unhappy, but without them, there's no basketball. We all owe them some gratitude for the job they do, they seldom get.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
      As far as getting to know the players, their tendencies, becoming familiar with their style of play, by refereeing the same teams numerous times can be good or bad. Again, depends on the ref. It's a tough job guaranteed to make some unhappy, but without them, there's no basketball. We all owe them some gratitude for the job they do, they seldom get.
      Except for home cal state bakersfield games where the refs only work bakersfield games in the non conf games. We know how that turned out. Also TV reports Megan Stuart out for the year with knee injury. Said too early to tell if she wants medical redshirt.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
        Except for home cal state bakersfield games where the refs only work bakersfield games in the non conf games. We know how that turned out. Also TV reports Megan Stuart out for the year with knee injury. Said too early to tell if she wants medical redshirt.
        I hear ya, gratitude wanes pretty quickly when your team gets hosed time after time with bad, irrational calls....lol

Comment

Are you refering to Colin Kapitan from Yankton? He and my cousin Darryl Anderson worked a lot of high school and college games together. This was back in the two ref era so yea they probably were out of position a lot. Especially two not in great shape older guys who liked beer. I suppose a lot of refs were out of position. Last time I saw Darryl he could barely walk. Those games took a toll on his legs.
          Oh boy, I take a poke at someone from Yankton, and I am picking on your relatives. Who in Yankton county are you not related too? And older guys, they are my age about, and btw I can barely walk and that's my choices just as refereeing was their choice. I don't think they are old enough to have been on the Baaten death march that would not be a choice.
          Last edited by Nidaros; 12-17-2014, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            I admire you and your energy. Being a ref has to be a good way to stay in good physical condition. I would not last five minutes but would be good for me to shed some pounds. I glad you can laugh at some of the verbal comments from fans. Fans can be so irrational at times.

I always thought Collin Captin had energy problems and often was never in position to make a call. Collin loved his beer so I was told.
            Good ole Kappy, legendary official and connoisseur of the 2 carbon fragment found in PBR. He is still going strong, no longer on the court but still in the pub. I wish him the best. I'm not a big Bonner fan but its clear she has the experience. Its a tough line to walk. On one hand I think the game has gotten too physical and that prevents scoring and free movement, the type of basketball I prefer. On the other hand, there is nothing worse than a game interrupted by a whistle on every possession. I think they need to reduce the shot clock to 30 or 25, reduce the timeouts available, especially when games are televised, decrease the charge calls and extend the "no charge zone". Anyhow, heres to Kappy.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              Good ole Kappy, legendary official and connoisseur of the 2 carbon fragment found in PBR. He is still going strong, no longer on the court but still in the pub. I wish him the best. I'm not a big Bonner fan but its clear she has the experience. Its a tough line to walk. On one hand I think the game has gotten too physical and that prevents scoring and free movement, the type of basketball I prefer. On the other hand, there is nothing worse than a game interrupted by a whistle on every possession. I think they need to reduce the shot clock to 30 or 25, reduce the timeouts available, especially when games are televised, decrease the charge calls and extend the "no charge zone". Anyhow, heres to Kappy.
              Why are there so many time outs nowdays? Its like Young and the Restless and their commercial breaks.

Comment

Why are there so many time outs nowdays? Its like Young and the Restless and their commercial breaks.
                Go to an NCAA tourney game. They last FOREVER when you're sitting in the arena.

It's all about $$$$ and commercial breaks mean $$$$.

Comment

Oh boy, I take a poke at someone from Yankton, and I am picking on your relatives. Who in Yankton county are you not related too? And older guys, they are my age about, and btw I can barely walk and that's my choices just as refereeing was their choice. I don't think they are old enough to have been on the Baaten death march that would not be a choice.
                  That what I asked my mom when she was alive. I would say a name and she would say " oh thats your cousin". Big Catholic German family on her side.

Comment

That what I asked my mom when she was alive. I would say a name and she would say " oh thats your cousin". Big Catholic German family on her side.
                    I hope I did not offend you. My apologies if I did. I got a bunch of relatives in Brookings County going back to the Medary settlement that proceeded the city of Brookings. In fact my next door neighbor is my fourth cousin so I have found courtesy of family tree maker.

You are right lot of refs were often out of position. The people that doing officiating now days seem to be in better shape physically. Maybe its because there are more time outs.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                      Go to an NCAA tourney game. They last FOREVER when you're sitting in the arena.

It's all about $$$$ and commercial breaks mean $$$$.
                      Yup. 18 timeouts in a 40 minute college basketball game. That's a lot of stoppages.
                      "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

I hope I did not offend you. My apologies if I did. I got a bunch of relatives in Brookings County going back to the Medary settlement that proceeded the city of Brookings. In fact my next door neighbor is my fourth cousin so I have found courtesy of family tree maker.

You are right lot of refs were often out of position. The people that doing officiating now days seem to be in better shape physically. Maybe its because there are more time outs.
                        No offense taken. Refs have reviewed the call (creating another timeout) and determined no foul. Play on. Surprised there is no discussion on the loss of Megan Stuart for the year though. Big loss in my opinion. Hope she takes the medical redshirt and comes back.

Comment

I agree Megan is a big loss, but for some reason she got very few minutes. Hope she returns on a medical redshirt.

Comment

My fondest memory of Megan Stuart is the game she took it to Natale Butler (transferred to UConn?) in the Georgetown game. 6'5" VS 6'2" and Megan won that battle in my opinion.

Had to chuckle on the replay vid when Natale saw Megan get the ball on the 3 pt line, she turned, boxed out, eagerly looked at the rim for the carom and watched it hit nothing but net...she then turned, briefly looked Megans direction ,put her hand on her hip as if to say "you've got to be kidding, you can shoot 3's too!"
                            When she was on, she was great. Didn't get enough time for the fan to get a real good evaluation. I noticed she was very efficient in the minutes she did get, more so than less. I hope she comes back , but understand if she wants to concentrate on her career too.
                            Last edited by jackdaniel; 12-18-2014, 08:57 AM. Reason: spelling chk

Comment

Working...
                            X