WNIT,What's it mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WNIT,What's it mean?

There is not a formal seeding, but they certainly refer to tiered grouping according to region. Since travel is subsidized, it seems logical that they have a regional approach for the brackets. That may answer why we played Minnesota prior to Indiana(and why Indiana played Northwestern) in terms of travel and RPI ratings. Travel was a larger factor.
    IF the Jackrabbits host UTEP, then we may need to understand that attendance is not the driving factor when bids are submitted.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
      So I have been thinking about the topic of this thread, "What's it mean?".

Here are my thoughts. The yotes got bounced from the NCAA tournament two weeks ago and (in all reality) we probably would have too. Nobody in South Dakota has talked about them since that time. However, the Jacks have been one of the top stories for every news station in South Dakota for the past two weeks. However, outside of South Dakota and western Minnesota, nobody cares. You really have to look to find yesterdays scores on ESPN or Fox or CBSsports. But could the same be said if we had been a one and done in the NCAA tournament and been a 5 second blip on ESPN? The Jacks already own South Dakota so I'm not sure how much more cementing our reputation we can do.

I do think this has been valuable experience for our freshman in Stevens, Ober, and Young. All of them have made their mistakes and have also had brilliant moments. I can't help but think this experience will only benefit the team down the road more so than a one and done trip to the NCAA.
      So you don't think wins over Butler, Creighton, Minnesota and Indiana and a run to the WNIT semi-finals will have any value on the recruiting trail?

I agree with your comment on experience to the younger players. Nothing compares to tourney experience and playing in front of the crowds they've seen the last two weeks. We have a relatively young team, I could really see this tourney as a springboard for next season.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
        From the WNIT website:
        The host site for each game is selected by the WNIT committee based on several factors such as fan base, host bids, facility availability, tournament seed, travel constraints, etc. A team's desire or ability to host or not to host has absolutely no bearing on that team being chosen for the 64-team field.

Tournament seed is mentioned in the above taken from the WNIT web site.

Comment

Well, it will be interesting to see where the game is played. My understanding is that it is totally based on the $$$$$$ bid and has nothing to do with potential for crowds or additional revenue.

UTEP has the Don Haskins Center that holds 12,000. They love their basketball down there. It is all due to the late Don Haskins and what he did for Texas Western College which is now UTEP. It's a pretty unique place. New Mexico also has a similar following. I think they are all just excited to be inside and out of the heat!

Home is huge for us. I hope we put in a big bid and get it done.

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            Tournament seed is mentioned in the above taken from the WNIT web site.
            Could be referring to the tier they are placed ie, top, middle, bottom. I don't see a reason why they would seed them 1-64. The hosts schools are determined on money and likely money alone. Triple Crown Sports is a for profit entity.

That said, I think we have a good shot to host regardless. Our ticket prices make up for the fact that we don't have the seating capacity of other schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
              So you don't think wins over Butler, Creighton, Minnesota and Indiana and a run to the WNIT semi-finals will have any value on the recruiting trail?
              No not at all. I do think it will help with recruiting, especially because we rely on local recruits (Not knocking this approach). I think the post game comments from the visiting coaches has been great and should be utilized when recruiting. My question has to do with the overall national exposure we are gaining and if it really matters if we are out in the first round of the NCAA's vs making a run in the WNIT because either way, we get minimal national exposure. Like I said earlier, the exposure we are getting in South Dakota and western Minnesota is invaluable and that is great because that is our area. I think this run has been great! The team seems re-energized and you are right, this could be a big time spring board for next season.
              Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                No not at all. I do think it will help with recruiting, especially because we rely on local recruits (Not knocking this approach). I think the post game comments from the visiting coaches has been great and should be utilized when recruiting. My question has to do with the overall national exposure we are gaining and if it really matters if we are out in the first round of the NCAA's vs making a run in the WNIT because either way, we get minimal national exposure. Like I said earlier, the exposure we are getting in South Dakota and western Minnesota is invaluable and that is great because that is our area. I think this run has been great! The team seems re-energized and you are right, this could be a big time spring board for next season.
                Agree. National exposure with the general sporting public is pretty much zero with this tournament. I don't think it is any better with the NCAA Tourney, unless you can make it to the Elite 8. There is a reason they play the NCAA WBB games on the home courts of teams in the tourney. It is localized.

Regional/local exposure is another thing. We are getting more with every win and are now really the only active SD sports story. I think the fact that we are knocking off more and more big-name teams from the midwest definitely helps further establish our brand in the WBB community. Knocking the Gophers and Indiana out of the tournament is something that will get noticed by HS coaches and recruits in our core area. We are also further locking down our reputation in SD for the next Macy Miller. Having Jackrabbit WBB stories in the local news day after day reinforces a message that has been building for a decade now.

Comment

From UTEP athletics:

- UTEP (27-7) will play host to Pacific 12 member Washington (20-13) in the Elite 8 of the WNIT at the Don Haskins Center 7 p.m. Monday.

- The victor will advance to play South Dakota State in the semifinals at a site to be determined on April 3.

- Tickets are $4 for UTEP students & $6 for general admission. UTEP’s ticket center opens at 8 a.m. Monday & will remain open through halftime.

I may be reading too much into the 'wording' of these statements, but I think it is pretty clear that if they win, they host...
                  "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

From UTEP athletics:

- UTEP (27-7) will play host to Pacific 12 member Washington (20-13) in the Elite 8 of the WNIT at the Don Haskins Center 7 p.m. Monday.

- The victor will advance to play South Dakota State in the semifinals at a site to be determined on April 3.

- Tickets are $4 for UTEP students & $6 for general admission. UTEP’s ticket center opens at 8 a.m. Monday & will remain open through halftime.

I may be reading too much into the 'wording' of these statements, but I think it is pretty clear that if they win, they host...
                    I think i get what your saying but maybe they dont want to announce the home team until the game is done.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                      I think i get what your saying but maybe they dont want to announce the home team until the game is done.
                      Yep...we're on the same page. I think we all know the game would be on Thurs, as Wed would be too quick of a turn around with travel, etc. I just find it interesting that they are already advertising a Thurs game.
                      "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

In their past history of prior tournaments,they do show a propensity to list large attendence records,don't know how they'd like seeing 3800 listed.Not all years have attendance listed, just the big numbers,like Wyoming's run, and championship game attendance of 15,462.

They do list interesting facts too,like last years Drexel being the first Colonial Athletic Association team to win the tournament.We'd be the first Summit league team to win.Depends on what story they wish to promote,of course the schools have to do their part and win.

They ,after all,have to promote the tournament for future years also.I think we better hope for Washington to win over UTEP.

Comment

Yep...we're on the same page. I think we all know the game would be on Thurs, as Wed would be too quick of a turn around with travel, etc. I just find it interesting that they are already advertising a Thurs game.
                          Game will be on Thursday for sure. If Washington wins they will play in Brookings, I know that much. If UTEP wins it could still be in Brookings, a decision has not been made yet and I don't think it will be made until tonight.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                            Agree. National exposure with the general sporting public is pretty much zero with this tournament. I don't think it is any better with the NCAA Tourney, unless you can make it to the Elite 8. There is a reason they play the NCAA WBB games on the home courts of teams in the tourney. It is localized.
                            I'm going to have to disagree with your localization of NCAA Tourney. When is the last time the WNIT had whip-around coverage on ESPN2? The hosting of games is simply a $ decision for them. Women's basketball in general does not have as large of a national presence as men's unless your are counting the UCONNs, Stanfords, and Notre Dames of the world (oh and Tennessee for "Snookums").

NCAA Tourney has much more reach nationally. WNIT is better regionally/locally.

I'm guessing about 100% of the team would have rather beaten USD and lost to Stanford rather then be crowned WNIT champs.

However, as others have stated, this deep WNIT run might be better for the health of the program regionally and for your young phenoms.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                              Game will be on Thursday for sure. If Washington wins they will play in Brookings, I know that much. If UTEP wins it could still be in Brookings, a decision has not been made yet and I don't think it will be made until tonight.
                              Seattle times reporting that as well (Washington to play in Brookings).

"The winner of Monday’s game will play South Dakota State (26-9) in the WNIT semifinals. If UW were to advance, it would travel to Brookings. SDSU drew 3,792 fans for its 76-64 win against Indiana on Sunday."
                              http://seattletimes.com/html/huskyba...omen31xml.html

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                                Seattle times reporting that as well (Washington to play in Brookings).

"The winner of Monday’s game will play South Dakota State (26-9) in the WNIT semifinals. If UW were to advance, it would travel to Brookings. SDSU drew 3,792 fans for its 76-64 win against Indiana on Sunday."
                                http://seattletimes.com/html/huskyba...omen31xml.html
                                The email I got from my guy at TCS says the decision will be made tonight. Reading into that, I would say UTEP is in control. They win, they will host the rest of the way. I think you can take that to the bank. So, I will be pulling for Washington. Go Huskies!!
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X