Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WNIT,What's it mean?

Originally posted by Roy View Post
    Hats off to the Athletic Dept. and possibly some quiet donors that step up by bidding to keep this run going! Go Jacks!!
    That , combined with most of the other schools pricing tickets at $7-8 helps SDSU put in bids that are tough to compete with.

Comment

Originally posted by sdsu_drake View Post
      I think this WNIT run can energize our fan base and especially our student section to get to more games next year. Especially if we can fill it on Sunday.
      We can fill it on Sunday. We had better fill it on Sunday.
      Great moments are born from great opportunities.
      ---Herb Brooks

Comment

I like the WNIT.True, it's not the "crown jewel" the NCAA is,but it does give a team new life after a disappointing season,Conference tournament,etc.Playing for something worth while is never a bad thing,and a WNIT Championship is worth while I believe.

The NCAA Tournament,you have to have a middle seed at least to give yourself a chance on advancing through and winning a few games.The NCAA is all about protecting the "Status Quo" in sports.How can there ever be a different result in a 1-16 game,be honest.It's designed to whittle down the field till the end when you have either Stanford,UConn ,Notre Dame ,or Tenn playing for the Championship ,with a few wild cards thrown in each year.The rest is a few "entertaining " games as filler til the "grand" Finale.It's the same scenario every year and its getting kind of boring if you ask me.But,it is what it is,and a lot of people buy into all the hoopla anyway.It comes down to the human trait of hope,no matter what the odds ,and the need to answer the simple question every year,even though we know the answer, "who's better"? It has to be proven,none the less.
        Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-28-2014, 10:58 AM.

Comment

So the winner of the SL tourney has to go the NCAA? What if SDSU got an at large bid to the NCAA as a 10 seed. Would SDSU decline the invite and play in the WNIT? As a 10 seed, 1 win, maybe 2 wins at the most, but more than likely a 1 and done in the middle of nowhere in the heart of Texas. The NCAA women's tourney only reimburses your expenses, so we would not be turning down any money, like the men's NCAA tourney. Our fans get to watch the game on TV, because we would not travel well to Texas or North Carolina, etc.

Now if we did turn down the NCAA and then got into the WNIT, we could have a home game for our fans and there is potential of making some money off the game. I know that Mid Con is televising the game, I wonder if we are paying them to televise the game or are we getting paid. Also our sponsors, are they paying more for these extra games?

Let's take ABC company that pays $14,000 to the school to advertise at 14 home games, if we get into the WNIT and get an extra 3 home games, does the sponsor still pay $1,000 per game for the advertising? Probably.

So the university probably can make more money hosting WNIT games than traveling to an NCAA game.

Also imagine the publicity SDSU would get by turning down an NCAA bid. It would be all over the news, national news, not just local news.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
            So the winner of the SL tourney has to go the NCAA? What if SDSU got an at large bid to the NCAA as a 10 seed. Would SDSU decline the invite and play in the WNIT? As a 10 seed, 1 win, maybe 2 wins at the most, but more than likely a 1 and done in the middle of nowhere in the heart of Texas. The NCAA women's tourney only reimburses your expenses, so we would not be turning down any money, like the men's NCAA tourney. Our fans get to watch the game on TV, because we would not travel well to Texas or North Carolina, etc.

Now if we did turn down the NCAA and then got into the WNIT, we could have a home game for our fans and there is potential of making some money off the game. I know that Mid Con is televising the game, I wonder if we are paying them to televise the game or are we getting paid. Also our sponsors, are they paying more for these extra games?

Let's take ABC company that pays $14,000 to the school to advertise at 14 home games, if we get into the WNIT and get an extra 3 home games, does the sponsor still pay $1,000 per game for the advertising? Probably.

So the university probably can make more money hosting WNIT games than traveling to an NCAA game.

Also imagine the publicity SDSU would get by turning down an NCAA bid. It would be all over the news, national news, not just local news.
            Nobody turns down an invite to the NCAA.That would indeed be ludicrous.But it would be unprecedented.
            Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-28-2014, 03:25 PM.

Comment

I think that the WNIT has plusses that the NCAA tourney doesn't. You can play more games(easier competition), get home games and you can get teams to come play you that never would otherwise. But, if you want to play the best, you have to play in the NCAA tourney.
              It's kind of like deciding if you want to play DI or DII. DII you can play more, put up better numbers and you look better because of the competition but if you want to play the best, you have to go DI.
              They both have plusses and minuses. It just depends on how you look at it.

Comment

One of the key points for this is home games. The big power schools get this at the NCAA tournament. If you look at the W-L in the WNIT, you will notice there are few victories by the visiting teams. The SDSU admin has done an excellent job of keeping Frost open longer this season. The fans have done a great job of being in the seats to make this effort for home court a success. The team has made this toournament competitive and entertaining. Also remember that the Summit had 2 teams in this tournament and IUPUI did win their first game. It may not be the largest launching pad in women's basketball, but it is a competitive grouping of teams from good conferences. Keep enjoying the games!!
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Have a friend that is in the front office at Triple Crown Sports (TCS) the company that sponsors and organizes the WNIT as well as many pre-season NCAA tournaments and a wide variety of other sporting event across our great nation. TCS has a relationship with the Jackrabbits and they like the program.

He called me yesterday to discuss where things were going with this years WNIT, basically looking for any inside info to help plan for the next few rounds. I told him I though the Jackrabbits would defeat a short-handed Gopher team. He told me that would be a good thing and that a home game would be a lock if Indiana lost. TCS wanted IU to win, Northwestern doesn't draw at all. I told him I thought SDSU would outdraw Indiana, he said if that happens Brookings will be the host site. The WNIT is a good thing for SDSU, not as good a thing for a lot of other programs.

Biggest hurdle, aside from defeating Indiana on Sunday, is that fact UTEP is reporting attendance > 6000. They have been home for the first 3 rounds. TCS is interested in making some money, don't doubt that fact for a minute. No idea what UTEP is charging or what they will bid but UTEP is our main challenger. They play Colorado tonight with the winner moving on to face Washington site TBD.

http://www.womensnit.com/photos/bracket41.pdf

TCS is located in Fort Collins, CO home of Colorado St. So, I think the best chance for continued home games is a victory by Colorado tonight followed by them losing to Washington on Sunday or Monday. Now, none of this matters if Jacks don't win. See you Sunday.

Similar to the comment from Borden last night the Creighton coach was very impressed with the Frost arena crowd and atmosphere. That matters to the TCS guys to but it doesn't trump the bottom line. Should be fun on Sunday. I'd take this over a first round loss in the NCAA's any year.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                    Nobody turns down an invite to the NCAA.That would indeed be ludicrous.
                    Definitely.

At our current level, I feel that the BEST thing about an NCAA bid is that it comes with the Summit Tournament Championship. It's a blast in Sioux Falls followed by what feels (to me) like an early season mis-match game. At least that is how it has come to feel for me over the years. The actual NCAA Tournament is just a bonus game against a much better team in some distant arena. It gets you a lot of local press, but almost nothing nationally unless you can make the Final 4. That would change if we could ever get a 7/8/9 seed again.

This, on the other hand, appears to offer a lot of other perks. Last night we had our best WBB crowd of the year, and the students came back. The amount of local press we are getting has probably now exceeded what we would have had as a 13-seed too - and there might be three more games. Our younger players are getting awesome experience in multiple bonus games. Young, Ober, and Stevens were all on the court together several times last night against a Big 10 team in another do-or-die game. This is quite a consolation prize that is already paying off this year and could pay off a lot more in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                      Biggest hurdle, aside from defeating Indiana on Sunday, is that fact UTEP is reporting attendance > 6000. They have been home for the first 3 rounds. TCS is interested in making some money, don't doubt that fact for a minute. No idea what UTEP is charging or what they will bid but UTEP is our main challenger.
                      All bidding for games was done at the front end of the tournament. Correct?

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                        I think it's done round by round. If UM didn't want to come to Frost, they could have straight-up out bid us and taken a $$ loss on the game.

Comment

The only other team getting double digit prices for tickets is Bowling Greeen which starts at $13 for reserved chair back seating. Utep was in the $6-$7 price.
                          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I haven't asked for and don't know those details. A number of variables are at play with the bottom line $$ being the major factor, obviously. I will ask the next time I talk to him.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by SlapJack View Post
                              I think it's done round by round. If UM didn't want to come to Frost, they could have straight-up out bid us and taken a $$ loss on the game.
                              I believe that is correct. It is bid round by round but bids are submitted before tournament starts.

Tweet from Terry V. awhile back
                              @TerryVandrovec My understanding is that you bid for every round before the event starts.

Comment

I believe that is correct. It is bid round by round but bids are submitted before tournament starts.

Tweet from Terry V. awhile back
                                @TerryVandrovec My understanding is that you bid for every round before the event starts.
                                I am not sure how it is decided, but they had announced the game for Sunday before the teams cleared the floor. It would have been quick decisions for anyone to adjust the bids that quick.

Comment

Working...
                                X