Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: AJ's Future

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    Yeah it's crazy. You can't compare the last several years of Minnesota with the future. The reason we are discussing this is because Borton was...er....not good.

I'm going to keep this simple? How many teams did the Big Ten get in the NCAA women's tourney last year? How many teams did the Summit get in the tourney? That answers to those two questions should tell you it's "easier" to get in playing in a power conference.

Can you prove the Jacks were on the bubble this year? If you can't the Summit is still a hands-down one bid league. A Summit team has ONE shot to make the tourney. That's not the case with a Big Ten team.

Now if you suck you suck. Doesn't matter if your in the worst conference or the best conference in Women's basketball. You won't make the tourney. That's likely why Minnesota hasn't made the tourney the last five years.

I also love how everyone touts the Penn State win but forgets we got dominated by Notre Dame, Stanford, MTSU, UALR, and Florida Gulf Coast (?).
    The Big 10 is obviously the better conference and have better teams and gets more bids because of it. SDSU puts themselves in position to get an at-large bid just about every year by having one of the top ooc schedules. If SDSU beat Creighton and UALR earlier this year they would have got an at-large. No question about it.

What teams don't get dominated by Notre Dame and Stanford? SDSU could have/should have beat MTSU, UALR, and FGC but it wasn't there day. If i remember correctly wasn't Strop or somebody sick/hurt during the Mexico tournament? Every team has an off day. It's hard to go perfect in the ooc schedule with the teams SDSU schedules. But that is what they have to do if they want to put themselves in position to get an at-large bid. Getting a win over a cupcake school will do just about the same thing as a loss a against a good team.

look under the First 4 Out column on the right side of the page. You will see "South Dakota State" listed.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-ba...l/bracketology

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
      The Big 10 is obviously the better conference and have better teams and gets more bids because of it. SDSU puts themselves in position to get an at-large bid just about every year by having one of the top ooc schedules. If SDSU beat Creighton and UALR earlier this year they would have got an at-large. No question about it.

What teams don't get dominated by Notre Dame and Stanford? SDSU could have/should have beat MTSU, UALR, and FGC but it wasn't there day. If i remember correctly wasn't Strop or somebody sick/hurt during the Mexico tournament? Every team has an off day. It's hard to go perfect in the ooc schedule with the teams SDSU schedules. But that is what they have to do if they want to put themselves in position to get an at-large bid. Getting a win over a cupcake school will do just about the same thing as a loss a against a good team.

look under the First 4 Out column on the right side of the page. You will see "South Dakota State" listed.

According to Charlie Crème. Not buying what he's selling. Has nothing to do with the actual selection committee.

I'm pretty sure someone posted that the Jacks weren't listed as in the first four out during the ESPN selection show. That tells me we weren't really on the bubble.

Had the Jacks played in the Big Ten this year, I bet they would have gotten an at-large.

Comment

My mistake attatching my post to your "quote".This has got me into trouble before.Not really responding to you, but rather the tread title "AJ's future" Didn't mean to cause confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post

This is exactly right,if the body of work (ie wins over high rpi teams) is good enough,a team is chosen for an at-large bid strickly on their own merit,not what conference they belong too.This is how mid-major at-large selections get in the NCAA Tournament.

Do well,in the OOC schedule,and you will be favorably looked at by the selection commitee,but no guarantee,as there's no guarantee of a middle level BCS conference team being selected either.

Teams like Gonzaga,Middle Tenn,Green Bay,SDSU,seem to get looked at and draw higer seeds than other mid-majors when the develop a history of winning and earning "consistently high rpi's " every year.

The programs that continue to get stronger,get stronger consideration.

Comment

Per @MinnesotaFury:

No confirmation, but hearing VCU's Marlene Stollings will be the next University of Minnesota Women's Basketball Coach. Should know soon.
            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
              Per @MinnesotaFury:

No confirmation, but hearing VCU's Marlene Stollings will be the next University of Minnesota Women's Basketball Coach. Should know soon.
              If true, they had the wheels in motion. All others were speculations, fire and hire in less than a week. C'mon, something was brewing, I can't pick out a paint color that fast.

Comment

Per @MinnesotaFury:

This thread is just for nothing then!

Wonder if Ole Marlene will want to schedule the Jacks?

Comment

And we wonder why AJ did not want to fuel this RUMOR!
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

From typed words to Gods ears

Comment

You got it Montana. I think she will want to come to Brookings to play again-not

Comment

According to Charlie Crème. Not buying what he's selling. Has nothing to do with the actual selection committee.

I'm pretty sure someone posted that the Jacks weren't listed as in the first four out during the ESPN selection show. That tells me we weren't really on the bubble.

Had the Jacks played in the Big Ten this year, I bet they would have gotten an at-large.

You might be right on your final point, but it is impossible to prove, and you are being speculative based on your opinions. Nothing crazy about that. But can you also respect, without condescending with "keeping it simple" slights, that one can build a sane hypothesis that there is at least as much and probably more tangible support for the idea that the Jacks were on the bubble out of the Summit http://espn.go.com/womens-college-ba...l/bracketology than would support your speculative "they would have gotten an at-large" bid out of the Big 10? However you take your Creme?

The facts we do know are that the Jacks have been to the Big Dance four of the last five years out of the Summit, and Minnesota has not been there since '09 out of the Big 10, despite being "on the bubble" in some estimates at some time this year. You say the reason is because Minnesota has had a bad coach. That's your opinion, and one can approach quantification on that only by what happens in the next couple of years at Minnesota.

Comment

As long as we are speculating about teams and conferences, what would have happened in 2009 when the Jackrabbits were ranked #15 in the polls and they would have lost to Oakland in the Summit Tournament? Would they go from a 7 seed in the NCAA tourney to the WNIT.... or would there have been an at large spot in the NCAA? Is a top 20 team not a bubble team then?
                          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                            The facts we do know are that the Jacks have been to the Big Dance four of the last five years out of the Summit...
                            5 out of the last 6 years...
                            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

5 out of the last 6 years...

I know but was comparing to minnesota's five year drought.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                                As long as we are speculating about teams and conferences, what would have happened in 2009 when the Jackrabbits were ranked #15 in the polls and they would have lost to Oakland in the Summit Tournament? Would they go from a 7 seed in the NCAA tourney to the WNIT.... or would there have been an at large spot in the NCAA? Is a top 20 team not a bubble team then?
                                \

Big, no doubt, but that's my opinion. Great point, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X