Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: SDSU Jackrabbits @ IUPUI Jaquars

Originally posted by Chains View Post
    This lose does not surprise me. IUPUI is the type of team that gives us fits. Besides being good they are very quick and as a general rule the Jacks are not. 5 conference games left with 3 of them at Frost. But, at Denver and at USD - both of those games scare me. I think we will need IUPUI to lose a game maybe two before I am comfortable with a conference championship.

GBGBGJ
    IUPUI goes on the road for 3-straight starting this week (Denver, USD, and FW). They only beat FW by two at home. Let's hope they pick up a second loss somewhere in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
      IUPUI goes on the road for 3-straight starting this week (Denver, USD, and FW). They only beat FW by two at home. Let's hope they pick up a second loss somewhere in there.
      Agree, they probably won't lose their last two at home.

I'm hoping since they have three games on the road and we have two,we might catch a break there.We have to keep winning though,don't give them anything easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
        Not that the Summit does not care but the tickets are already sold and the money is in the pocket - therefore, Jackrabbit nation is hoping the Jacks have that first round bye.The worst thing that could happen to actual attendance is the Jacks play first round and lose! Could you imagine the echo's in the arena if the Jacks and Yotes both lose early? Scary thought.

GBGBGJ
        Right now the Yotes are positioned to play the #1 seed if they win the first game. I think you are correct that the women's side would suffer big without SDSU or USD playing more than 1 round. I know the crowds are not there when those 2 teams are not in action. At this point it is unlikely both teams exit early. The yotes will be around if Seekamp is healthy. That will make them a tough team anywhere in the tourney. They also might handle IUPUI in conference at the Dome with Seekamp back and healthy. That may move them to a possible #3 seed by tourney time.
        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
          Right now the Yotes are positioned to play the #1 seed if they win the first game. I think you are correct that the women's side would suffer big without SDSU or USD playing more than 1 round. I know the crowds are not there when those 2 teams are not in action. At this point it is unlikely both teams exit early. The yotes will be around if Seekamp is healthy. That will make them a tough team anywhere in the tourney. They also might handle IUPUI in conference at the Dome with Seekamp back and healthy. That may move them to a possible #3 seed by tourney time.
          I thought Seekamp was less than 100 per cent last Sunday, but watching highlights of a game later in the week she look to be picking up steam, and was more involved.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
            25 turnovers today
            I didn't watch the game. Did IUPUI press us? They did that at the end of the game in Frost and SDSU turned it over several times before they moved Strop way down to the other end and had Megan(?) bring it in. I was taught back in high school that you either get the ball to the middle of the court or have a relief person across the court AND BEHIND YOU to break the press. Our PG would get double teamed by Strops player and she would run up the court. We would try to split the double team or just pass the ball through it and turn it over.
            I know that it isn't as easy as I'm making it sound but we didn't try the 2nd one at all to break the press. Make their PF run across the court a couple of times to wear her out might help.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
              I didn't watch the game. Did IUPUI press us? They did that at the end of the game in Frost and SDSU turned it over several times before they moved Strop way down to the other end and had Megan(?) bring it in. I was taught back in high school that you either get the ball to the middle of the court or have a relief person across the court AND BEHIND YOU to break the press. Our PG would get double teamed by Strops player and she would run up the court. We would try to split the double team or just pass the ball through it and turn it over.
              I know that it isn't as easy as I'm making it sound but we didn't try the 2nd one at all to break the press. Make their PF run across the court a couple of times to wear her out might help.
              To me, to break the press,you have to get the ball past mid court fast,once the trap is sprung,you're pretty much going to get a bad pass,tied up, or travel.

You have to play more people bringing up the ball.The worst thing to do,what we usually do,is stop ,dribbling in place ,allowing their trappers to creep in and the others to position themselves better to cover our players.

Don't play into the press the way they want you to is the main thing.The whole team has to respond,not just one or two players.The faster we react to the press,the less likely it'll cause the turnover.Team awareness.

I would think we would have a plan to break the press,we're not executing it correctly,or it's faulty and we need a new one?

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                To me, to break the press,you have to get the ball past mid court fast,once the trap is sprung,you're pretty much going to get a bad pass,tied up, or travel.

You have to play more people bringing up the ball.The worst thing to do,what we usually do,is stop ,dribbling in place ,allowing their trappers to creep in and the others to position themselves better to cover our players.

Don't play into the press the way they want you to is the main thing.The whole team has to respond,not just one or two players.The faster we react to the press,the less likely it'll cause the turnover.Team awareness.

I would think we would have a plan to break the press,we're not executing it correctly,or it's faulty and we need a new one?

Agree 100%. The only gripe I have on AJ is his scheme for breaking pressing/trapping type defenses. I'm sure execution comes into play also, but it certainly is a trouble area every year.
                "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

The Jacks have 467 turnovers this year compared to the opponents 386. That is troubling.
                  LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                    The Jacks have 467 turnovers this year compared to the opponents 386. That is troubling.
                    Could playing true freshman enter into this alarming total?

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                      Not that unusual - you have to go back to the 09/10 season for the Jacks to have fewer turnovers than the opposition. The margin has not been this big before though. Biggest margin before this season was 51 in 11/12. That was for the entire season.

Comment

We have this discussion about excessive turnovers every season. It's probably worse this year because of the especially-brutal OOC schedule. There's just something about the SDSU style of play (or possibly the way the bench is used?) that leads to lots of turnovers. It also leads to lots of wins and NCAA tournament appearances, so I'll take it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          Could playing true freshman enter into this alarming total?
                          Not if you go strictly by the numbers. Here are player's turnovers per minute played - Clarin-.122 , Heiser-.120 , Stuart - .112 , Boever-.104 , Young-.102 , stevens - .097, Waytashek - .093 , Paluch - .076 , Ober - .076 and Strop-.065. Not surprising that Heiser and Boever rank high as point guards handle the ball a higher % of the time and are also the players that normally get trapped in the press. Turnovers can also be misleading as a player can throw a perfectly good pass and if the receiver doesn't handle it , the passer gets the turnover.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            Not if you go strictly by the numbers. Here are player's turnovers per minute played - Clarin-.122 , Heiser-.120 , Stuart - .112 , Boever-.104 , Young-.102 , stevens - .097, Waytashek - .093 , Paluch - .076 , Ober - .076 and Strop-.065. Not surprising that Heiser and Boever rank high as point guards handle the ball a higher % of the time and are also the players that normally get trapped in the press. Turnovers can also be misleading as a player can throw a perfectly good pass and if the receiver doesn't handle it , the passer gets the turnover.
                            I don't really know what to think of the "turnovers per minute played" stats. There are different reasons why different types of players should or shouldn't have turnovers.
                            1) PG's- They handle the ball most of the time but unless the other team presses they have plenty of time just dribbling the ball up the court without anybody around. That would hurt that stat.
                            2) C's- When they get the ball, they are in the post and might have guards dropping down and and stealing the ball from behind. Having the ball in traffic can be harder because you don't know who is coming to help guard you.
                            3) Waytashek and Young- They see to be more aggressive (to me) and get more charges. I think it would be interesting to know how many charges our team has had this year.

I would think that the people that keep stats (in the college game) know the difference between a crappy pass and just bad hands. They might be a little confusion at passes around the knees or 100mph from close range but a player looking away before they catch the ball or just not catching it should be on the receiver. In high school they just have high school kids that keep stats but it's different at this level.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              Thanks for doing the research. Appears to be several angles to this number formation.

Comment

Working...
                              X