UM-Crookston Game Day Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UM-Crookston Game Day Thread

Everyone is getting playing time throughout the first half. The most encouraging thing here is seeing the old Gabby back. In high school she could move the ball from end-to-end faster than any point guard around. I saw that again today for the first time since she blew the knee out almost 3 years ago.

Re: UM-Crookston Game Day Thread

Not impressed with the new seating arrangements, the womens gray uniforms should have different color numbers. hard to read on the fuzzy internet picture. Megan Waytashek very impressive in the first half, not babying the knee and playing good. Chloe C. looks to ba a good guard in the making, handles the ball really well. glad they gave her Kettys old number.

Comment

second half Jacks doing alright, wonder if AJ will put in the new girl Aamlid. If the Dance team is gonna show that much skin in those uni's it is against the rules to get them some certificates to the Tanning Salon?

Comment

I was at the game. Crookston's coach did a lot of platooning -- would substitute four and five at a time. He has a young team with some potential. That being noted, I thought it was hard to measure the Jackrabbits because the level of competition, as is often the case in exhibition, was not like the competition we'll face in the season. We did a lot of things right. The 86-43 final score tells a lot about the competitive difference.

Good to see the new-look Jackrabbits!

On Aamlid. I looked up her bio on GoJacks.com. It notes she was enrolled at SDSU last year but didn't compete. The bio also states she'll have three years of eligibility. Why doesn't she have four?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          I was at the game. Crookston's coach did a lot of platooning -- would substitute four and five at a time. He has a young team with some potential. That being noted, I thought it was hard to measure the Jackrabbits because the level of competition, as is often the case in exhibition, was not like the competition we'll face in the season. We did a lot of things right. The 86-43 final score tells a lot about the competitive difference.

On Aamlid. I looked up her bio on GoJacks.com. It notes she was enrolled at SDSU last year but didn't compete. The bio also states she'll have three years of eligibility. Why doesn't she have four?
          A very good question. I know D1 has the path to graduation in X amount of semesters like 10 or 11 semesters and my guess is that if you start a sport later in your academic career, you start at the same year in terms of remaining eligibilty. But what about redshirting and all those games? Someone with more expertise please comment. I am curious.

Comment

Hey - the dance team new it was and exibition game and the dance team took that exhibition part seriously.

To be completely honest the Jacks should thump and team like MN - Crookston as they are not a very good team. That said, I was pleased with some of the younger players. Clarin is a bruiser under and around the basket. Stewart, Dietel and Lingle appear to be ready to play. Eide, Chloe, Gabby, Heiser competed well and lets not forget that Steph Paulach simply watched from the bench. I think this team has room to improve in leaps and bounds. Good start to the season.

GBGBGJ

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
            second half Jacks doing alright, wonder if AJ will put in the new girl Aamlid. If the Dance team is gonna show that much skin in those uni's it is against the rules to get them some certificates to the Tanning Salon?

Comment

My observations,Waytashek is back and much improved,very good in fact.Clarin is really athletic and the most energetic player out there.Lingle will be the workhorse down in the paint, like Sunnorborg was.
              Will take awhile to get used to not having Jill out there knocking down 3's this yr.I'm sure the women will warm up from 3 land as the yr goes on.Strop didn't play much,didn't try a three even, she hit some in big games throughout her career.
              No doubt in my mind both Eide and Paluch will be quiet leaders this year.Guards looked good against the slower div -2 women,looking forward to seeing how they match up with Villanova's guards.Chloe looks good as a ball handler,in fact they all do against Crookston,but I'd have my best scorers in when she's in the line up,she doesn't look to score yet.Stewert looks really big and strong,but she 's really smooth , almost effortless with her moves to the basket.Walters will probably be the go to 3 pt shooter as the yr progresses.Hart looked good when she was in.Dietel looked ready to take on more of the scoring load this year, thats good.I think we probably start slow again this year, but get pretty salty again come tournament time.Gabby looks quicker without the big brace,Hieser looked good.
              Hope i didn't miss anyone.Forgot Aamlid,she looks good for a walk on,hope she improves and earns a scholarship in the next few years.

Comment

Megan W will be a contributor both sides of the ball. Box score gave her 4 steals. Ashley E had 5 steals. Surprised that Hannah S did not play more. Also surprised at the speed of Mariah C when she blocked what appeared to be an uncontested layup with a great move and block and no foul. Katie L has been practicing a short jumper where she takes a step back on her spin move that would normally be going to the basket with her left hand. The depth could be the situation similar to 5 years ago where few players ever get 30 minutes in the game. It was promising to see the size of crowd for the exhibition game.
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Scholarship players normally have 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility with the clock starting from when you enter college. Not sure if that also appllies to walk-ons.

Comment

Here's the phrase from Aamlid's bio on GoJacks.com: ...previously attended SDSU but did not compete in basketball and will have three years of eligibility...

I suppose that could be read to mean three years after this year but it seems that's a strained reading. It actually states she will have three years and it seems that includes this year.

The general rule is four years of eligibility to be used in five years. Example: Dale Moss played football in his fifth year as a student at SDSU. There are many other examples of students who didn't participate (as distinguished from being out for the team but taking a red-shirt year) and then went out and had four years of eligibility. One of my sons did that.

Oh well...good to have her on the team. She certainly provides some depth at the forward position and while her playing time today was limited, she played with confidence (and I would not have guessed she didn't play competitively for more than a year).

Comment

Here's the phrase from Aamlid's bio on GoJacks.com: ...previously attended SDSU but did not compete in basketball and will have three years of eligibility...

I suppose that could be read to mean three years after this year but it seems that's a strained reading. It actually states she will have three years and it seems that includes this year.

The general rule is four years of eligibility to be used in five years. Example: Dale Moss played football in his fifth year as a student at SDSU. There are many other examples of students who didn't participate (as distinguished from being out for the team but taking a red-shirt year) and then went out and had four years of eligibility. One of my sons did that.

Oh well...good to have her on the team. She certainly provides some depth at the forward position and while her playing time today was limited, she played with confidence (and I would not have guessed she didn't play competitively for more than a year).
                      Her bio says she graduated from high school in 2010. She must have taken college classes at SDSU or somewhere else in the 2010-11 school year,which started the 5 year clock ticking.

Comment

Ah, that makes sense, bigticket. Keen eye on the graduation year.

Aamlids: Great SDSU-tradition family!

Comment

Ah, that makes sense, bigticket. Keen eye on the graduation year.

Aamlids: Great SDSU-tradition family!
                          Was not her father a big cog in the Marking years run for the NCC and playoffs? I missed those years, but you see his name mentioned often. I am glad we got the eligiblty thing worked out.
                          Last edited by Nidaros; 10-29-2012, 06:44 AM. Reason: i

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                            Megan W will be a contributor both sides of the ball. Box score gave her 4 steals. Ashley E had 5 steals. Surprised that Hannah S did not play more. Also surprised at the speed of Mariah C when she blocked what appeared to be an uncontested layup with a great move and block and no foul. Katie L has been practicing a short jumper where she takes a step back on her spin move that would normally be going to the basket with her left hand. The depth could be the situation similar to 5 years ago where few players ever get 30 minutes in the game. It was promising to see the size of crowd for the exhibition game.

I liked what I saw with Megan W -- she has not played healthy since January of her Freshman year. Last year you could see she was tentative and hurting before they pulled her for the season. Yesterday she was jumping and looked to be moving well from side to side. Hopefully she'll get stronger as she gets more games under her belt.

The jacks played a bit nervous at first but dominated at the end of the first half and the entire second half. As they should! I'm assuming it will be more of the same on Thursday. Again, good chance to get rid of some of the nerves. Anyone know anything about the Villanova team?

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              Her bio says she graduated from high school in 2010. She must have taken college classes at SDSU or somewhere else in the 2010-11 school year,which started the 5 year clock ticking.
                              Yes, that is correct. The clock starts ticking for NCAA Division I eligibility once a student enrolls full-time at a school, regardless of whether or not they play sports and regardless of whether the full-time enrollment is at a D1 school or not. This was something that I had to dig deep for a few years back as far as interpretation and what not. Division II & III, as many know, is 10 full-time semesters but they don't have to be consecutive like in Division I (technically, a D2 student could take seven years off after four full-time semesters and come back and still have eligibility left but a D1 student's 5 year clock would've already been done). If Anne would have taken part-time classes up until this year, her five year clock would've begin this year provided she enrolled full-time. I just wanted to clarify since I used to be a NCAA D1 manual bookworm and sum it up and build off what everyone has said.

Good to see the team get some playing time in, I'm sure they loved the opportunity to play someone other than themselves in practice. Can't wait to see what the rest of the season has in store!

Comment

Working...
                              X