Usd gdt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Usd gdt

Jacks are set for what should be the last serious challenge for a loss in the away game in the bad lighting and distant vistas of the DakotaDome. This is a far cry from the tight, HS-sized gym that UMKC plays in. AJ took the lessons learned by the men's team, and didn't even stay around to watch the men's game in KC so that he could get the team back up to USD. Probably practiced there yesterday, and for shootaround today.

Like normal, and blessedly so, TV/Mick have teamed to write a good lead-in article about tonight's game.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...ws|text|Sports

BIG GAME FOR THE COYOTES!!! Currently #3 in the Summit, and with an W over the Jacks, could possibly end up #2 to the Jacks in the Summit. Being #2 in the Summit would be huge for the Yotes, as they would be the WNIT Summit participant, should the Jacks win the Summit tourney for a 4th consecutive year (likely).

Here's a very interesting site that shows many different rpi related looks. including who may be WNIT participants. I'll note that the site is projecting 2 teams from the Summit get selected to the WNIT.

http://www.omnirankings.com/index.html

SDSU needs to have another great defensive effort, and shoot better than 35% to get the W. Would love to be 17-1 again going into the Tourney!

Re: Usd gdt

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
    Jacks are set for what should be the last serious challenge for a loss in the away game in the bad lighting and distant vistas of the DakotaDome. This is a far cry from the tight, HS-sized gym that UMKC plays in. AJ took the lessons learned by the men's team, and didn't even stay around to watch the men's game in KC so that he could get the team back up to USD. Probably practiced there yesterday, and for shootaround today.

Like normal, and blessedly so, TV/Mick have teamed to write a good lead-in article about tonight's game.

BIG GAME FOR THE COYOTES!!! Currently #3 in the Summit, and with an W over the Jacks, could possibly end up #2 to the Jacks in the Summit. Being #2 in the Summit would be huge for the Yotes, as they would be the WNIT Summit participant, should the Jacks win the Summit tourney for a 4th consecutive year (likely).

Here's a very interesting site that shows many different rpi related looks. including who may be WNIT participants. I'll note that the site is projecting 2 teams from the Summit get selected to the WNIT.

SDSU needs to have another great defensive effort, and shoot better than 35% to get the W. Would love to be 17-1 again going into the Tourney!
    I'm guessing that the team came all the way back to Brookings Saturday evening, stayed in their own beds for two nights, and will make the drive to Vermillion sometime today for the shootaround (if they are doing one) and game. Staying in Vermillion on Saturday and Sunday night would seem silly to me when you are only 1:45 from home.
    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Your correct when you say this would be a big win for the Yotes! However, it would also be a big win for the Jackrabbit Women. I hope AJ and the team are looking at it that way? I don't thing the men did? I was with the understanding that the automatic WNIT bid went to the second place team in the summit league tournament. Not the regular season schedule. When the Jacks were in transition I think we had to earn our way into the WNIT? The Yotes are certainly good enough (women) to be in the WNIT.

Need a huge effort on defense tonight and a much better offensive effort as well. If we fall behind by double digits early tonight because we can't score to the Yotes like we did UMKC it will be a long evening.

Will Jackrabbit extra carrier this game or do we need to log onto the USD site?

GBGBGJ

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post

Comment

SDSU won the regular season title in the last transitional year, and therefore, was the Summit's auto-WNIT winner. Didn't matter what happened in the Summit tourney that year. The prior year, SDSU was an at-large pick to the WNIT as Jacks were "independent or Great West (a non-qualifying) conference." If Jacks win the conference, then the #2 team would be picked using the criteria for seeding the tourney, but using that criteria, USD could be higher than ORU, but ORU would need to lose twice, and USD can't afford a stumble. It's definitely likely that ORU wins out, or doesn't lose more than once, and that USD loses vs Jacks.

USD has more riding for post season opportunities in this game than the Jacks. That, plus rivalry, at USD, is a recipe for an "upset" by USD. Jacks will need to play well from the get-go, as the Yotes have nearly a lock-down D as Jacks. Can't afford to be down 15 to USD and plan to escape for W. Even or ahead at half, I like SDSU's chances for a W.

I believe that Midco Sport Net, or CoyoteVision are the only way to watch the game tonight. Good news is, if paid to watch SDSU @ USD MBB, still covered by the same payment/watch opportunity.

Comment

The WNIT auto bid goes to the team that finishes the highest in the regular season that does not win the Summitt tourney. Ex: If SDSU wins league and loses tourney we get auto WNIT. If SDSU wins league and the tourney, as it is right now ORU gets WNIT auto bid, as they did last yeay when they won a couple WNIT games.

Comment

I'm sure we went over this last season but here goes again. The NIT (or in this case, WNIT) only has to take a Summit League team if they win the conference regular-season and miss the NCAAs. There is no guaranteed auto-bid. If SDSU wins out and goes to the Big Dance, the WNIT doesn't have to take ORU or USD.

The WNIT might still take a Summit League team but they don't have to. They very well could pass on ORU and USD this season, given how things have played out.

Last season, ORU won the regular season and SDSU won the SL Tourney. That's why ORU made the WNIT. Just because SDSU finished 2nd in the regular season, that didn't guarantee the Jacks a bid in the WNIT.

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
              Your correct when you say this would be a big win for the Yotes! However, it would also be a big win for the Jackrabbit Women. I hope AJ and the team are looking at it that way? I don't thing the men did? I was with the understanding that the automatic WNIT bid went to the second place team in the summit league tournament. Not the regular season schedule. When the Jacks were in transition I think we had to earn our way into the WNIT? The Yotes are certainly good enough (women) to be in the WNIT.

Need a huge effort on defense tonight and a much better offensive effort as well. If we fall behind by double digits early tonight because we can't score to the Yotes like we did UMKC it will be a long evening.

Will Jackrabbit extra carrier this game or do we need to log onto the USD site?

GBGBGJ
              Considering that USD is probably playing the best basketball of any other women's team right now and probably can be grouped in with ORU and SDSU as the best in the league, I don't think we need to worry about AJ or the team's focus.

The men's team got bit by a lesser talented team when they played in Vermillion. The women are playing a team, that if eligible, could be a contenter for the SL tourney.
              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                The men's team got bit by a lesser talented team when they played in Vermillion. The women are playing a team, that if eligible, could be a contenter for the SL tourney.
                Very true, the men's team could have gotten by with pretty much anything but an epic flop (see 0-10 3pt shooting in 1st half!). They blew that. It's a different story with the women's team. They will absolutely have to be very sharp in order to win this road game.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                  Very true, the men's team could have gotten by with pretty much anything but an epic flop (see 0-10 3pt shooting in 1st half!). They blew that. It's a different story with the women's team. They will absolutely have to be very sharp in order to win this road game.
                  It appears teams have significant trouble shooting at the dome, which could make for an ugly game tonight.

I never know how to peg this team. I think a Jacks W will be close, and a Jacks loss will be not as close, woudn't be surprised either way.*

Anyone konw how the 'yote women draw attendance wise?

*edit - let me clarify. I think 1 of 2 scenario's occurs: The Jacks shoot horrible, but play pretty good d and lose 53-40, or both the Jacks and the 'yotes shoot horrible and the Jacks win 55-52.

Either way, I've gotta believe the Jacks shoot horrible in this one.
                  "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                    It appears teams have significant trouble shooting at the dome, which could make for an ugly game tonight.

I never know how to peg this team. I think a Jacks W will be close, and a Jacks loss will be not as close, woudn't be surprised either way.*

Anyone konw how the 'yote women draw attendance wise?

*edit - let me clarify. I think 1 of 2 scenario's occurs: The Jacks shoot horrible, but play pretty good d and lose 53-40, or both the Jacks and the 'yotes shoot horrible and the Jacks win 55-52.

Either way, I've gotta believe the Jacks shoot horrible in this one.
                    Oh ye of little faith.
                    Two points:
                    - The women learned how to win in D-1 right off the bat. Games like this are a challenge but one they've met umpteen times.
                    - They have a most recent example to play off in the Thursday night bushwacking.

SDSU 66, USD 59

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                      Oh ye of little faith.
                      Two points:
                      - The women learned how to win in D-1 right off the bat. Games like this are a challenge but one they've met umpteen times.
                      - They have a most recent example to play off in the Thursday night bushwacking.

SDSU 66, USD 59
                      I understand what you are trying to say here, but this team has missed a bunch of easy shots this year. So predicting a bad shooting night doesn't mean someone has no faith, it just means they are realists. I highly doubt that the men being upset on Thursday is going to somehow guide an errant shot into the hoop
                      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

From the WNIT website:

Automatic Berths
                        A team that is offered an automatic bid by the WNIT shall be the team that is a.) the highest-finishing team in its conference’s regular-season standings, and b.) is not selected for the NCAA Tournament. A team that fulfills these qualities will earn the WNIT automatic berth for their respective conference, regardless of overall record.

Thus the #2 team, should the Jacks win the SL tourney would be the Summit AQ. Out of the Big 12, that AQ has typically been the 5-6th place team. Right now Pups are a game behind ORU, and if don't beat Jacks will lose out to ORU on the 2nd tie breaker (how did against the other members of the conference starting at top, IE Jacks). Beat Jacks, then it's into who beat the 3rd, 4th.... before breaking tie. Yotes don't win tonite, then ORU must lose their last 3, and Yotes wins all other remaining games to edge ORU. ORU losing all three remaining games is highly improbable.

Stakes are VERY HIGH for pups. Not nearly as crucial for Jacks.

Still expect Jacks to pull a W. But it should be an even tighter than the men's game was last Thurs.

Comment

General note: Please refrain in non-smack threads from referring to the Coyotes as the "Pups" or similar; or from referring to the DakotaDome as the "Dump" or similar. This constitutes a kind of passive-aggressive smack.

Thanks.
                          Last edited by filbert; 02-13-2012, 06:15 PM.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

this game on TV?
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                              this game on TV?
                              Midco sports net

Comment

Working...
                              X