Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kansas State

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
    I listened on the radio when i could at work, but it seemed like all the players wanted Jenny Sunnarborg to do all the scoring,she tried,but there must have been a horde of defenders on her everytime she touched the ball.Maybe i just missed the time others tried to score,as i couldn't listen to the game contiuously.
    Sunny had maybe 3-4 shots from the post that should've gone in, good shots, and a few others that could've gone in. Shots that she was able to create, even with K-State's clingy we've-got-fouls-to-give style of play.

Inevitably they bounced out.

I mean you see 1-13 on Sunny's stat line and it looks horrible, and she definitely through up a few clunkers, but in no way was her shot selection bad overall, nor were the shots themselves terrible. Ditto for Paluch & Young.

Comment

granted, only going by radio broadcasts, but, imo i think AJ is going to have to pull off a couple of recruiting coup's if he aims for that national recognition that he so desires. especially on the offensive side of the court. seems to me the jacks have lacked that "go-to" person past couple of years. you know, that consistency and leadership that jenn brought.

Comment

Originally posted by krak-r-jacks View Post
        granted, only going by radio broadcasts, but, imo i think AJ is going to have to pull off a couple of recruiting coup's if he aims for that national recognition that he so desires.
        Yes...going to 3 consecutive D-2 Elite 8's, (two of them being Final Four's and one being a National Championship), 2 WNIT bids, and leading the Jacks to the NCAA Tournament each of the first 3 years they were eligible, all in the last 10 years or so obviously shows that he lacks the ability to recruit. AJ IS recognized nationally as a great coach, whether he desires it or not.
        "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

The difference in athleticism between these two teams was huge. That difference quickly manifested itself in sloppy turnovers, instant foul trouble, and a historically bad shooting percentage. Our players appeared to be in slow motion out there, lacking anything close to the speed and quickness of KSU. They toyed with us like a cat playing with a wounded mouse. I've never seen a bigger mismatch at Frost.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
            Deep breath everyone...we will be ok. We are playing solid defensively, rebounding well and shooting good at the line. As terrible as we played offensively tonight, we were only about 4-5 made buckets away from making this a very interesting game. We took some lumps last year and got things figured out by March...this team will do the same.

Oh yah...ORU got lamblasted by Ark tonight 65-37
            Good post. I do still think we need somebody who can drive and dish against athletic teams like KSU.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
              The difference in athleticism between these two teams was huge. That difference quickly manifested itself in sloppy turnovers, instant foul trouble, and a historically bad shooting percentage. Our players appeared to be in slow motion out there, lacking anything close to the speed and quickness of KSU. They toyed with us like a cat playing with a wounded mouse. I've never seen a bigger mismatch at Frost.
              Excellent points, I was thinking pretty much the same thing. Surely there are athletic women who want a good education, and happen to be black. Just saying.

Comment

When they were anouncing the starters you could tell the difference in the build of their players to ours. All five of thier starters had arms bigger than our girls'. The one bright spot I saw was Gabby Boever had a good game deffencively she was really scrapping after the ball and played fearlessly. I hope to see more of that in the future we need some one with that Macie like defencive intensity at the guard spot.

Comment

Our girls have got to learn how to finish in the paint. You have to expect contact when you are in the lane. I dont know how many missed "bunnies" i seen.
                  It's just an old Army trick I learned in the Navy.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                    Ugh. I KNOW! The Jacks got quality looks in the first half, but were just too keyed up/jumpy/off-kilter to make them.

Dang it, I could've gone to the game for free if I had a buck for every shot that rimmed out, and I'd have eaten for free if I had another buck for every shot that hit the front of the rim. That's nerves. That's your mind getting in the way of your muscle memory.

I was frustrated, but I felt bad for the women, because they really could've used a player like Warkenthien or Vogel tonight to play with the contagious assurance and poise that they brought to the court.
                    That is exactly what this team is missing the go to\play maker. We have a lot of good players but missing that key piece imo.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I believe the game has been changing to faster,quicker,longer, more athletic players who can pressure and disrupt a team like SDSU who has been known as a team with good shooters.Teams like UConn,Texas A&M,Kentucky,Notre Dame, Baylor,etc.These teams get a lot of steals, turnovers, and transition buckets,and they all shoot high fg%,becuse they are athletic and get themselves open for shots,or have a tremendously talented point with lots of assists.

Teams like SDSU and the slower teams traditionally coped with this by having better shooters,but that's negated now with intense pressure,the shooters cannot shoot with accuracy because they're alway's rushed or simply can't find a shot.I've noticed the huge increase in winning margins more this year than last ,wins from 40+ to 50+,even more.Gone are the days of dismantling a TCU,passing is really risky against fast,quick players ,we're lucky to get a shot off against this type of team,and the games usually decided after the first half.It's like a basketball blitzkrieg.JMO
                      Last edited by jackdaniel; 12-11-2011, 11:06 AM.

Comment

One thing that bothers me though,the second half we matched them point for point.....32-32.Alot of teams do better the 2nd half after getting blowed out the first half.Is that because we play better or the other team relaxes somewhat and just tries to maintain the lead?

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                          I believe the game has been changing to faster,quicker,longer, more athletic players who can pressure and disrupt a team like SDSU who has been known as a team with good shooters.Teams like UConn,Texas A&M,Kentucky,Notre Dame, Baylor,etc.These teams get a lot of steals, turnovers, and transition buckets,and they all shoot high fg%,becuse they are athletic and get themselves open for shots,or have a tremendously talented point with lots of assists.

Teams like SDSU and the slower teams traditionally coped with this by having better shooters,but that's negated now with intense pressure,the shooters cannot shoot with accuracy because they're alway's rushed or simply can't find a shot.I've noticed the huge increase in winning margins more this year than last ,wins from 40+ to 50+,even more.Gone are the days of dismantling a TCU,passing is really risky against fast,quick players ,we're lucky to get a shot off against this type of team,and the games usually decided after the first half.It's like a basketball blitzkrieg.JMO
                          The Jacks badly need a perimeter player who can beat their defender off the dribble and get some penetration (ala Nate). Way too much passing around the perimeter for 25 seconds and then throwing up a bad shot.When someone does drive,it's often going up the baseline and getting boxed in a bad situation. Watching the men run their offense is a world of difference. They cycle their perimeter players running sharper cuts to the basket and force switches and some open shots,rather than all the perimeter passing and standing around.

Comment

Except that SDSU finished only -2 on turnovers, and K-State was called for 6 more personal fouls than SDSU. SDSU also out rebounded K-State.

That's a winnable game for SDSU if they shoot better, despite K-State's advantages.

Comment

Except that SDSU finished only -2 on turnovers, and K-State was called for 6 more personal fouls than SDSU. SDSU also out rebounded K-State.

That's a winnable game for SDSU if they shoot better, despite K-State's advantages.
                              Yes,yes, yes....we are going to destroy someone if we can figure out a way to get a decent shot off each possession,because of the way we play defense(very,very good)As horrid as we've shot in certain games this year,our defense has kept us from getting too blown out.That defense ,and the sheer effort we put forth in getting rebounds and steals or causing turnovers.

Comment

Except for the part where we trailed by 20 points for the entire game and committed more fouls in the first 2 minutes than we had field goals in the entire first half! Their swarming, quick, defense made our jump-shooting style obsolete. How many open looks did we get? Almost none. Our defense was indeed decent, but the offense looked like a team from the 1950's trying to run flat-footed passing drills around the perimiter. That was what I saw, anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X