• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kansas State

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
    if we can figure out a way to get a decent shot off each possession
    You weren't there.

A significant number of those misses came off of *quality* looks. Jill missed two 3s where she had more than enough time to set for her shot, with no nearby defender. I can't even count how many of Sunny's shots rimmed out, and on quality opportunities.

You look at the shooting percentage without looking at the film, and it makes it look like K-State was forcing SDSU to throw up bricks, air balls, and hail marys. That wasn't the case.

Comment

It's not often I will agree with Zoop but he is right in this case. We were not outplayed. We could not make a bunny or an open shot if we dropped them from on top of the cylinder. It was like a layer of plastic covered the hoop. We matched with them just fine, just could not get the balls to drop. You all need to chill; these early games will help this team down the road. Is it disappointing, yes, but all-in-all, these girls will be fine come tournament time.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
        How many open looks did we get? Almost none.
        I was there. They got more than enough quality looks and didn't make their shots. They got decent shots on penetration and missed them, they had open 3s and missed them, and they had decent shots on the block and missed them.

Go look at the stat sheet. K-State notched 4 blocks and SDSU, 2.

Bottom line: SDSU had quality looks and did not convert.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
          You weren't there.

A significant number of those misses came off of *quality* looks. Jill missed two 3s where she had more than enough time to set for her shot, with no nearby defender. I can't even count how many of Sunny's shots rimmed out, and on quality opportunities.

You look at the shooting percentage without looking at the film, and it makes it look like K-State was forcing SDSU to throw up bricks, air balls, and hail marys. That wasn't the case.
          I'm waiting for the opposite to come true,that's where we can't seem to miss and everyones hitting their shots to the tune of 50-60% FG shooting,where we're on the right side of the blowout.These things tend to even out during the season don't they?

Comment

This seems to me a team without a clear cut leader or go to player in difficult times. I just don't see it happening this year. I hope I am wrong but I don't believe you can continue to have this many poor offensive games and win the Summit League Tourny where they will have to bring it 3 games in a row. To be this bad this often tells me something about the overall quality of this team.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
              I was there. They got more than enough quality looks and didn't make their shots. They got decent shots on penetration and missed them, they had open 3s and missed them, and they had decent shots on the block and missed them.

Go look at the stat sheet. K-State notched 4 blocks and SDSU, 2.

Bottom line: SDSU had quality looks and did not convert.
              I was there too. I lost track of how many times we flung it up from close range and didn't even draw iron.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                Good post. I do still think we need somebody who can drive and dish against athletic teams like KSU.
                I agree 100%. We simply do NOT have the guard play that allows us to penetrate, score or dish the ball off. I think the Jacks are setting their with 2 or 3 guards that are #2 guards vs a true point. We do not have the foot speed to dribble / drive and create a shot for ourself or other players. I like Tara, Gabby and Steph.........but they are not the point guard I would be looking for. Simply asking to much of any of them to compete with the type of athlete they are playing against in a KS, Cincy and OR..

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                  I was there too. I lost track of how many times we flung it up from close range and didn't even draw iron.
                  It did appear we simply thru the ball in the air a number of times in a panic. Rushing shots in fear of having them blocked. I read an article in the Argus by Terry V (and an appropriate article) about fans not coming out for the big games being played at frost. I believe the article actually brought additional fans to frost for the this game. That said......if this was the first womens' game I had seen at frost and withnessed the perfomance by our women it may very well be the last game I would go to. I fortuneately have witnessed great games by our women and well clearly be back. But this game (not the effort) set womens' basketball back 5 years. I hope we did not have recruits in for this one! Or maybe a good recruit will see that she could come in and play right now? To our Womens' team and out Jackrabbit fans......there will be better days!

GBGBGJ

Comment

The problem i see with shots not falling is that if we miss the first few and we start falling behind,we tend to start a vicious trend of forcing shots and missing them because there's too much riding on that one shot (panic) and their nice easy relaxed shot they shoot so well in practice becomes some herky ,jerky type panicky shot that doesn't have a prayer of going through.We need that player with nerves of steel that can drain that shot and settle down the rest of the team so that they can feel less pressure if they miss and shoot with that devil may care attitude (relaxed) type of shot that has a much higher chance of being made.Translation.....it's all mental (well , maybe the defense matters a little too.....ha)

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                      K-State's a good team. They're going to force shots like that because, well, they're a good team.

SDSU didn't make good shots when they had chances.

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
                        I hope we did not have recruits in for this one!
                        The Jacks played good defense, did a creditable, if not outstanding job protecting the ball, rebounded well against a team with a more talented frontcourt, and shot atrociously.

That's not exactly evidence of an undisciplined team or a poorly coached team.

Comment

Originally posted by boxerboy View Post
                          This seems to me a team without a clear cut leader or go to player in difficult times. I just don't see it happening this year. I hope I am wrong but I don't believe you can continue to have this many poor offensive games and win the Summit League Tourny where they will have to bring it 3 games in a row. To be this bad this often tells me something about the overall quality of this team.
                          So had we not played in the Cancun tourney (against quality competition) and not scheduled K-State (another quality opponent), yet scheduled low level D-I or even a couple more D-II games at home and blown those teams out, everybody would be hunky dory. We are 2-0 in the Summit, people...that is all that matters. We started out 5-10 last year and ended up just fine. I'll tell you about the overall quality of this team...it's GOOD.
                          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Yup. The defense was a bright spot. It was pretty solid. It seems like AJ's teams get better and better as the year goes on. So Who knows what will happen? We'll win a lot of conference games because we won't see athletes like KSU had in most of those. Nobody thought we'd win the tourney last year. You just never know.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

one other minor point. the Jacks were on the road for five games, AJ said that they only had maybe one practice in Frost and the rest in the Barn. Hard to shoot on your home court when you don't even practice on it. kind of puts the visitors and the Jacks on equal footing. and the last few years the Jacks have shot horrible in Frost.

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
                                It did appear we simply thru the ball in the air a number of times in a panic. Rushing shots in fear of having them blocked. I read an article in the Argus by Terry V (and an appropriate article) about fans not coming out for the big games being played at frost. I believe the article actually brought additional fans to frost for the this game. That said......if this was the first womens' game I had seen at frost and withnessed the perfomance by our women it may very well be the last game I would go to. I fortuneately have witnessed great games by our women and well clearly be back. But this game (not the effort) set womens' basketball back 5 years. I hope we did not have recruits in for this one! Or maybe a good recruit will see that she could come in and play right now? To our Womens' team and out Jackrabbit fans......there will be better days!

GBGBGJ
                                That first half did kind of suck the energy out of the crowd,but I don't think it will keep fans from coming back. It will be interesting next season with the split schedule when conference doubleheaders go away. As a non-season ticket holder,$20 for a ticket for two games is a good value. Many fans will probably have to make painful choices though when faced with paying $20 for single games throughout the season. Hopefully there will continue to be some non-conference double-headers like last night.

Comment

Working...
                                X