Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2011/2012 Roster

Originally posted by Tanker87 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. It would probably be in our best interest to do so. Do we have the depth to redshirt all three?...or at least two of the three? Which ones should be redshirted?
    AJ history is that he isn't one to redshirt. He's been either quoted or I've heard him say this about redshirting. "If freshmen need to redshirt, they aren't good enough to play here in the first place and we need to recruit better players." The last person I can remember redshirting was Jill Young due to transfer rules. She technically started school at Creighton her freshman year but only went to a few days of class, dropped out and then was able to come to SDSU the fall of that same year. Because she went to class for those few days it triggered her status as a transfer and therefore she had to redshirt her first year at SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
      The last person I can remember redshirting was Jill Young due to transfer rules.
      Tara Heiser redshirted. It was her choice.
      "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
        Tara Heiser redshirted. It was her choice.
        I think if you ask Tara she wouldn't describe it that way. Doesn't matter. She was coming of a foot injury and I think it was in her best interest, again, I don't think she saw it exactly like that. I don't think AJ is opposed to redshirting someone, he just doesn't typically do it.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Gabby red-shirted also for the knee injury in HS

Comment

AJ seems to send a clear message that he will play whomever gives them the best chance to win.

It would seem to me to be an advantage when recruiting to be able to show that we typically play freshman. If I was being recruited it would be more exciting to me to know that I may come in and contribute right away. Who wants to sit out a year even if it is the best thing for a player's development?

Redshirting players makes a lot of sense to me. It gives them a year to get used to the demands in the classroom, in practice, and college life in general.

The ideal thing is to take on a case by case basis. Recruit a kid with the idea that if they are ready and good enough to earn playing time that they get it. If not, redshirt and have them work hard for the next year. Not rocket science although this is no doubt an over-simplification.

After all, aren't we in a perfect world hoping that each recruiting class is better than the one before?

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

OK - Practice starts in just over a week. Anybody have a feel for how this team is going to gel? They are missing a big part of their chemistry with Rotert gone... I think Jill will fill in nicely as the team leader. I also think that Sunnarborg will need to play BIG and more consistant this season - If she plays well I think the team plays well. I'm hoping that Lingle continues her strong play from last year as she can really help in the rebounding area. I'm also hopeful that Waytashek and Boever are ready to play. I know Waytashek is only about 7 months out from her surgery but we will need help in the wing area and with Macie gone we need options at the point guard spot. I think Tara and Paluch can help out with that area. Leah and Ashley could be starters or come in off the bench - they are both strong and hard workers. Strop proved last year that she can play either inside or out......and the freshman are always a wild card. I think AJ will start whoever matches up the best or who is playing well. The ladies are competitors and all want to play and help the team to a win. First game is not far away - I'm excited.

Comment

The biggest question is who is going to step in at point guard,and what kind of production they get from that position. It may take some time - it could be point guard by committee for awhile until it sorts itself out.

Comment

We need someone like Andrea Verdegan used to be,see's the whole court while bringing the ball down,great passer,didn't fall victim to getting "trapped "much.
                  Miss Maria's ability to sneak away a good lead once in awhile for an easy transition bucket,that kills a team to score and see your opponent answer so quickly.Wonder if we'll see any new wrinkles in the offense this year to throw off our opponents or if "if it isn't broke,don't try to fix it" will remain in force.
                  I shouldn't really compare prior jackrabbits to current ones,but only comparing attributes of former players.I'm really excited to experience watching this years team with the added height making the inside game further compliment the outside perimeter game.They won't know wether to defend inside or outside hopefully.Should be another good year.Go Jacks!

Comment

Tara Heiser sees the whole court and knows as much about the game as anybody on the court. Her ball handling skills need to improve and she has been working hard at that. I'd love to hear AJ's take on things and I sure hope Tara steps up like I know she can. Turnovers from the point guard spot have been a big problem and I really think SDSU will be improved at that position despite some preconceived notions.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                      We need someone like Andrea Verdegan used to be,see's the whole court while bringing the ball down,great passer,didn't fall victim to getting "trapped "much.
                      Miss Maria's ability to sneak away a good lead once in awhile for an easy transition bucket,that kills a team to score and see your opponent answer so quickly.Wonder if we'll see any new wrinkles in the offense this year to throw off our opponents or if "if it isn't broke,don't try to fix it" will remain in force.
                      I shouldn't really compare prior jackrabbits to current ones,but only comparing attributes of former players.I'm really excited to experience watching this years team with the added height making the inside game further compliment the outside perimeter game.They won't know wether to defend inside or outside hopefully. Should be another good year. Go Jacks!
                      The schedule is filled with tough, but winnable games with BCS schools, and top of the mid-majors. Hope Jacks can take down Marist in the T-day tourney, but looking over the schedule, I'd be surprised if the Summit #1 seed doesn't have at least two L's in conference play. While experienced talent graduated, the Frosh class is stellar (on paper) too. Hope the team blends, and the PG gets worked out well.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                        Tara Heiser sees the whole court and knows as much about the game as anybody on the court. Her ball handling skills need to improve and she has been working hard at that. I'd love to hear AJ's take on things and I sure hope Tara steps up like I know she can. Turnovers from the point guard spot have been a big problem and I really think SDSU will be improved at that position despite some preconceived notions.
                        My take also (From Post #4 on this thread):
                        Tara Heiser is definitely in the mix on who will play point guard this year. In fact, I suspect she may be ahead of Gabby at this point, but no solid evidence to back that up. There is no doubt IMO, that the play of the point guard is going to be especially important this year given the lack of experience at that position, and the relative strength of our wings and inside game.

Comment

I would agree that Tara is ahead of Gabby just because Gabby has never played at the D1 level yet and it will take some time to get use to the speed. I've heard that both her and Waytashek are playing at this point - but not sure if either is 100%. I would suspect Gabby is as she has had the time to recover - while Waytashek is still a little fresh off her major injury.

I think Jill will be able to play some point - she doesn't have the speed - but she is a very smart player. Last year we struggled when Macie was not in the game - you need a point guard that can bring the ball up against pressure with pure speed. We can play the half court game with anyone... but we need to get the ball up the court in time to run our offense and get it to our bigs.....

Again - should be interesting but I see us struggling a bit in the beginning of the season as AJ and team figure out roles on the team. Hopefully they figure it out sooner than later.

Comment

I expect it may take Gabby a good part of the season to get up to speed as she hasn't played any competitve basketball for nearly two years.. If Jill has to play the point,it cuts out her biggest strength,which is her 3 point shooting ability. With Rotert gone,Jill is the only proven outside shooter,which we will need to open up the inside game. I hope Waytashek is healthy,but as we saw in Gabby's case,it's tough to come back quickly from that type of injury.

Comment

Gabby actually had two injuries. She had the ACL injury first and then broke her knee cap I believe after that. It will take Waytashek a while to get back but I think she'll contribute this season. She could be the outside shooter we need. But - no one is better than Jill at the two spot and we need her to be a threat but she has to be a bigger factor in getting the ball up the court.

Comment

last season it seemed the ladies had a lot of distractions going on early in the season and as they were dispatched, the distractions, the ladies played better. you know, the AJ and Laurie Mellum secret wedding and other things. by the way continued congrats to them and the new addition. as for now I don't think there are any distractions going on, Jills and Clints wedding sounds like is set for July next year so that shouldn't affect things this season. from their tweets, the ladies sound like they are ready to go and get after it.

Comment

Working...
                                X