Oakland, 2:30 CST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oakland, 2:30 CST

Nice win for the Jacks. Good shooting and rebounding. 18 turnovers to Oaklands 6 is the only bad stat. Taking care of the ball has been a problem all year and will hurt us in the tournament if we don't get it corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
      Nice win for the Jacks. Good shooting and rebounding. 18 turnovers to Oaklands 6 is the only bad stat. Taking care of the ball has been a problem all year and will hurt us in the tournament if we don't get it corrected.
      "corrected"? ummm, if my memory serves me correctly, this has been an ongoing problem, for what, a year and three quarters now?!? for some reason, this just seems to come "with the territory" for this bunch. i sure hope they can "clean it up" for the tourney, but, i'm just not sure we will see much improvement till next year. i hope they prove me wrong---again!

Comment

Originally posted by krak-r-jacks View Post
        "corrected"? ummm, if my memory serves me correctly, this has been an ongoing problem, for what, a year and three quarters now?!? for some reason, this just seems to come "with the territory" for this bunch. i sure hope they can "clean it up" for the tourney, but, i'm just not sure we will see much improvement till next year. i hope they prove me wrong---again!
        Turnovers are not a huge problem when the team made the most of the possessions and scored. The problem with the team this year was that they were not hitting their shots. Everything is amplified when you can't make shots.
        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Most top rated teams are highly efficient ball clubs.They either out shoot you,out rebound you,get more steals,out hustle,all the above ,whatever it takes to gain an advantage on their opponent.They play good, sound , fundamental basketball and leave the sloppiness , poor ball handling,mistakes to their opponent,they let their opponents beat themselves basically.They don't waste very many pocessions and they certainly don't go long stretches of a game without scoring something,even if it's free throws.Thats why they continually pull away and keep increasing their lead.I do think we are becomming a very good team heading down the stretch.
          Last edited by jackdaniel; 02-21-2011, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
            Turnovers are not a huge problem when the team made the most of the possessions and scored. The problem with the team this year was that they were not hitting their shots. Everything is amplified when you can't make shots.
            If you cut down from 18 to 10 TO and say you shoot 50 percent, that approx 8 more points a game just from fewer TOs. And against good teams like ORU every extra point is crucial IMO.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Never thought I would say this but I think Katie Lingle has been the biggest factor. Am I the only one who is very impressed/surprised by the progress she has made?

The Jacks have a shot to surprise a lot of people (including me) and win the SL tourney again. I'm pumped baby!!
              Last edited by jackmd; 02-21-2011, 02:24 PM.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Just to adjust the expectations . . .

The #1 team in the nation in turnovers per game is currently Marist, with 10.9 per game.

The #10 team is Bowling Green and Creighton, tied at 14.1/game.

NDSU is 17th at 14.4/game.

18 turnovers per game ties us with Wichita State at #177--about middle of the pack. We're currently #214 at 18.5 per game, which leaves plenty of room for improvement.

Anyway, takeaway here is 10 turnovers per game would lead the nation in that category.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

This run we are on right now is what I think we were all hoping to see all year long. We've won 9 of the last 12 (2 OT losses and a tight loss to ORU when we only dressed eight players), and 6 of our last 7.

Reasons for our turnaround are pretty obvious:
                  1. We are more healthy now than we were for most of the season.
                  2. We are shooting better.
                  3. Our defense has been outstanding.
                  4. And we have upperclassmen bringing their "A" game on a nightly basis. In our last 7 games Kristin and Jennie are averaging 17 points a game and Jill is just over 13 points a game.

Comment

Whatever the reason, the apparent turn-around is pretty amazing. It's hard to discount it after 2 quality road wins. Getting a win over NDSU to end it would be a great way to go rolling into the Tournament.

Comment

Working...
                    X