Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ORU

Originally posted by r2b1 View Post
    That is a pretty big leap to refer to the players as "classless". As an ORU women's basketball follower the last couple of years, I have not seen a pattern that leads me to believe these players are classless.

However, I was also surprised that last shot was taken. It wasn't necessary and hopefully it doesn't happen again. I chalk this one up to a young player that should have known better.
    It was classless, but who care's, we lost. I hope our women took it as an insult and knock ORU on their asses when we play them next. Although i doubt it will happen with this team, they play with little passion and the Summit ref's will never allow it to get past fifth grade physicality.
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by r2b1 View Post
      That is a pretty big leap to refer to the players as "classless". As an ORU women's basketball follower the last couple of years, I have not seen a pattern that leads me to believe these players are classless.

However, I was also surprised that last shot was taken. It wasn't necessary and hopefully it doesn't happen again. I chalk this one up to a young player that should have known better.
      We talked about this on Terry V's blog last night during the Centenary game. AJ made comments to Stinkbiner about the shot and he came up with the excuse there was was one second on the shot clock and four seconds on the game clock so he told Luper to shoot because he didn't want the shot clock violation turnover. In reality there was no shot clock running at the time and one second on the game clock.
      The players may be cool as one poster has said but the coach is not. I dont think he liked the beat downs State put on him in the past and took the limelight away from his team and him, so now the Jacks are his number one enemy and he will do anything he can to show the Jacks up now that they are in a down period.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
        I dont think he liked the beat downs State put on him in the past and took the limelight away from his team and him, so now the Jacks are his number one enemy and he will do anything he can to show the Jacks up now that they are in a down period.
        I agree and don't have a problem with it. If we don't like ORU rubbing it in when they win, how about we not let them win. I am way more upset at the lack of on the floor intelligence that the Jacks seem to show at times than I am with some meaningless 3-point shot.
        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I was not at the game and watched the Collegian Blog until the game got out of hand, whether they shoot at the buzzer or not, the game was over. Our ladies are struggling and one last shot certainly will not affect them one way or another. The team and staff are looking at the total game and what all happened and no doubt see some silver linings.
          Last edited by Nidaros; 01-11-2011, 09:25 AM.

Comment

I'm not worried about the shot. Distasteful? Yes, but it kind of seems par for the course for ORU. However, if the Jacks don't like it, then like another poster said, they should play defense until the horn or not be in a situation where we are down 20 on our home floor. I don't know if I have ever seen an AJ team do that before, but I know I've seen us continue to run and cast up three point shot after three point shot late the in 2nd half when we were up by 20+.

What is ridiculous is seeing Finkbeiner trying to skirt his way around the questions after the game - watch TV's postgame video - he tried to blame shot clock malfunction, Daktronics, our technology, etc. Said that the two shot clocks were different and the one they were looking at still had time left. Are you kidding? If you or your team is going to do that, then take the heat for it, don't try to weasel your way out of it afterwards. All he had to say was that his team was playing to the horn or apologize for the lack of judgement by him and a young player that made a mistake and it will be corrected.
            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
              I'm not worried about the shot. Distasteful? Yes, but it kind of seems par for the course for ORU. However, if the Jacks don't like it, then like another poster said, they should play defense until the horn or not be in a situation where we are down 20 on our home floor. I don't know if I have ever seen an AJ team do that before, but I know I've seen us continue to run and cast up three point shot after three point shot late the in 2nd half when we were up by 20+.

What is ridiculous is seeing Finkbeiner trying to skirt his way around the questions after the game - watch TV's postgame video - he tried to blame shot clock malfunction, Daktronics, our technology, etc. Said that the two shot clocks were different and the one they were looking at still had time left. Are you kidding? If you or your team is going to do that, then take the heat for it, don't try to weasel your way out of it afterwards. All he had to say was that his team was playing to the horn or apologize for the lack of judgement by him and a young player that made a mistake and it will be corrected.
              I'm among those of the opinion that if you don't want them to take that shot, then have more points than them at the end of the game. If we were ahead by 20 and they did the exact same thing, nobody would care. The only reason it matters is that the Jacks got their clock cleaned that night, and this was just one final little jab. So what? Winners get to do those kind of things to the losers if they want to.

Don't like it? Get better, and don't let them win.

Revenge is a dish best served cold.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I do know our team was already walking towards the bench when the last shot was taken.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                  I'm among those of the opinion that if you don't want them to take that shot, then have more points than them at the end of the game. If we were ahead by 20 and they did the exact same thing, nobody would care.
                  If we were ahead 20 and the OTHER team took the shot, of course nobody would care. What we are talking about here, is a team that was 15 points ahead, the shot clock was off and the game was basically over, and Luper attempts a three-point shot as our players were walking off the court. The reason they did that was in every game I have watched SDSU play, if a similar situation exists, AJ has our players hold the ball until the clock sounds. And, in fact, I can't remember a similar game in the last couple of years, where any team we have played did what ORU did. It's a minor point, and we can forget it...but I'm glad they were called out on it.

Comment

While I agree that it wouldn't have mattered if we were up by 20, the fact is we weren't and the clock was off. I don't buy his excuses. ORU was on our side of the court starting to dribble out the clock and he told the player to start the offense. It was completely on the coach and totally classless. I hope we upset them in SF and he has to kick another basketball.

Comment

I really don't see the big deal.

Honestly, I didn't even think anything of the last second shot by ORU.

Everyone who's whining about it must be Keith Brooking fans.
                      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                        I really don't see the big deal.

Honestly, I didn't even think anything of the last second shot by ORU.

Everyone who's whining about it must be Keith Brooking fans.
                        I'm not whining about it, and I'm not a Keith Brooking fan! I merely defended AJ for calling Finkbeiner out on it. It was classless. End of comment. (Would call for closing the thread, but know that would get me into trouble!)

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                          I'm not whining about it, and I'm not a Keith Brooking fan! I merely defended AJ for calling Finkbeiner out on it. It was classless. End of comment. (Would call for closing the thread, but know that would get me into trouble!)
                          Do you know for a fact that Finkbeiner told his players to shoot at the last second? If so, then calling him classless for it is justified.
                          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Regardless of the situation, I think calling someone classless is classless.
                            "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                              Regardless of the situation, I think calling someone classless is classless.
                              Thats a classless thing to say.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

If you try saying classless 10 times in a row, its sounds funny.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X