Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coach Palileo

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    Good luck and a thank you for their service goes out to Coach Baker and Palileo. I dont see their leaving SDSU as a set back. Those who coach volleyball and know the game are certainly going to be putting their resume's in the mail. Its got to be an opportunity for some one out there.

As far as multi year contracts, that can work both ways. Signing a five year deal and then to find out in the first year, the institution hired the wrong guy or things are not working out. What do you do? To make a coaching change, it costs money to buy back that contract. I think this would be the biggest reason for resisting multi year contracts. Where does that money come from? From the legislature in SD? With one year contracts, the bite no where as damaging as would a 20 million dollar buy out like some of the bigger programs have had to pay. Also whats to stop a successful Coach such Palileo from moving on to greener pastures under a multi year contract? Do you sue him and force him to complete the multi year contract? Now thats would be nicccccccccce. How about it lawyer guys?
    #1 if you get a coach that's a total flop your first year, you didn't do your homework in the hiring process.....#2 if you want an experienced coach to move their family to a new location, the top candidates are going to seek security (multi-year contract) and get it. #3 a coach can always wait or buy out their contract....but the truth be told VB is a non revenue producing sport....Universities are not going to be rolling out cash to buy out a coaches contract....IMO what will happen is the coach takes his chances on his contract expiration....and as a small DI school get used to the movement after any success
    Last edited by rational thought; 04-15-2008, 11:23 AM.
    Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
    Muhammad Ali

Comment

I don't know if this is true or not but didn't coach Palileo pull a scholarship? I "heard" that he got the Mrs. South Dakota to come here and then he pulled her scholarship. I think she went on the be an assistant coach at Sioux Valley the next year. He is the first coach I've heard of doing this. I heard that he got rid of some players who weren't dedicated to the program. I'm assuming she was one of them.
      I like how you use the word "resigned". I think Phil would have been a good hire, too. It's just too bad that Andrew left everybody out until Phil was gone. Phil leaves and then Andrew goes after 2 jobs. You would think he would inform Phil of his intentions to leave. Oh well! Maybe Phil left and then Andrew got the idea to leave.

Comment

Argus Leader article on Palileo leaving.

http://argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll...44/1002/sports

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
          I "heard" that he got the Mrs. South Dakota to come here and then he pulled her scholarship. I think she went on the be an assistant coach at Sioux Valley the next year. He is the first coach I've heard of doing this. I heard that he got rid of some players who weren't dedicated to the program. I'm assuming she was one of them.
          You are speaking of Deidra Artz, who now plays at Wayne State. I'm not sure that he pulled her scholarship.I believe it was his style of coaching that made her not like playing here. As for the other girls, they will tell you one thing, while the coaches tell another. A mixture of issues lead to their dismissal and transferring to USD.

Comment

Thanks! Artz was the name. I know that coaches and players don't always get along and it depends on who's side of the story you get.
            I'm sure everything will work out well for everybody involved.

Comment

I'm sure sad to see Coach Palileo leave but it is a great opportunity for him. He has done a fantastic job at SDSU and is a great addition for Washington State. Pac 10 is a big time conference.

It's sad to see this happen but this is part of the business. Palileo's success here will attract a great list of qualified candidates. If we have continued success in any sport in the Summitt League then those coaches will be looked at by schools in bigger conferences. My thinking on this is that if we have coaches being sought after than they must be having some serious success.

Best of luck to Coach Palileo. Let's get Wazzoo on the schedule!

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

According to past posts, the assistant coach resigned on Feb 14.
                According to TV's article, the Wash St positioned opened Feb 21.

For whatever that is worth.

Congratulations to Coach Palileo, and the SDSU volleyball program that just had its coach "stolen" by a Pac-10 team.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Congratulations to Coach Palileo. He did a great job of building the program here. No doubt SDSU volleyball coach will be an attractive job for somebody after a conference title and NCAA bid.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

NAU in Rapid City just disbanded their volleyball and rodeo programs and my sister from Rapid indicated that she heard the former NAU coach was looking at the SDSU assistant position. He has extensive ties to Brasil, and many of their players came from outside the US. I have no clue if it is accurate.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                      Who is Coach Baker? What sport did he/she coach?
                      I do not know who Coach Baker is, but I believe I meant Coach Daniels. Is that correct? If so Thank you for pointing out my mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by rational thought View Post
                        At SDSU's level, you're always going to have movement and want nothing but the best for your coaches....that being said...SDSU needs to work on changing the length of contracts for their head coaches....IMO, it is insane for a person to move their family to SD (any of the schools) for a 1 yr contract.....we ask someone to come and continue to build or rebuild a program, and not give them any job security...and conversely...multi year contracts guard the university from always wondering if a coach may leave every year. This is about as ridiculous as the "work for food" portion of the scholarships when I was in school.

Explain why Coach Stig got how many applications for his assistant job? Lots of the applications were mostly like from out of state. Multi year contracts do nothing to attract applications. Its the opporturnity to coach and what we do have to offer. Plus an AD can include the same incentives in a single year contract that you can offer in a multi year contract. Yes even the best designed hiring process can go sour and pick the wrong candidates, so with a single year, you dont have to deal with buying out 4 to 5 years of salary. If everything else was equal, would a multiyear contract have kept Coach Palileo at SDSU if he had a shot at Washington State? I don't think so. After all Volleyball is a non revenue sport, or did I make the mistake of buying tickets at the last match I attended. I believe they do sell tickets so volleyball must have some revenue.

Comment

I do not know who Coach Baker is, but I believe I meant Coach Daniels. Is that correct? If so Thank you for pointing out my mistake.
                          Coach McDaniel.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
                            Coach McDaniel.
                            Thanks again. Only one strike left so will quit this thread.

Comment

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs...stID=7633#more

Article from the Spokesman Review out of Spokane.

Comment

Explain why Coach Stig got how many applications for his assistant job? Lots of the applications were mostly like from out of state. Multi year contracts do nothing to attract applications. Its the opporturnity to coach and what we do have to offer. Plus an AD can include the same incentives in a single year contract that you can offer in a multi year contract. Yes even the best designed hiring process can go sour and pick the wrong candidates, so with a single year, you dont have to deal with buying out 4 to 5 years of salary. If everything else was equal, would a multiyear contract have kept Coach Palileo at SDSU if he had a shot at Washington State? I don't think so. After all Volleyball is a non revenue sport, or did I make the mistake of buying tickets at the last match I attended. I believe they do sell tickets so volleyball must have some revenue.
                                There's a big difference between attracting assistant coach applicants and attracting and keeping head coaches. I think you're missing that distinction here.
                                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X