Coach Palileo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coach Palileo

Well I did talk to coach and he said he withdrew his name last week. I was told by someone who is a big donor that it would be a bigger opportunity than FGCU would be.

Edit:
    I see the job at Florida State is still open. And the Jacks play Florida State to open the 2008 Season.

Comment

I think it has to be irratating for the administration and the team to see Palileo flirt with programs that don't seem to be an upgrade. At some point if this continues into the summer let him go and focus on bringing in someone who want's to be at SDSU or we will lose recruits and be backed into finding someone very close to the fall season. The fact we don't have an assistant makes it more unsettling.

Comment

USD is now apparently coachless.
        Along with us.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
          I think it has to be irratating for the administration and the team to see Palileo flirt with programs that don't seem to be an upgrade. At some point if this continues into the summer let him go and focus on bringing in someone who want's to be at SDSU or we will lose recruits and be backed into finding someone very close to the fall season. The fact we don't have an assistant makes it more unsettling.
          The fact that none of our coaches have multi-year contracts is probably irritating and unsettling for their peace of mind as well. And as much as we'd like to think SDSU is a top notch position, for alot of sports it just isn't. We have terrible weather, a limited recruiting area, and limited resources. When you consider the conference we are in in comparison to any of the BCS or higher level mid-majors there are alot of places Palileo could go that would be considered an "upgrade" on the ladder. Add in the fact that he has family in Florida and I can understand why he'd be interested in interviewing for a job down there.

Comment

There will be a news conference tomorrow anouncing Andrew as the new head coach at Washington State University.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
              There will be a news conference tomorrow anouncing Andrew as the new head coach at Washington State University.
              Good Luck to him and his family, now I would like to see Dr. Oien start to put pressure on the regents to change the contract situation for the state schools.
              Last edited by rational thought; 04-15-2008, 07:23 AM.
              Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
              Muhammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                Now that is certainly an upgrade in position. I don't Dr Oien simply lobbying the Regents is going to change the one year contracts. I think it's a much more involved process than that. I'm sure we will find a worthy and qualified coach to replace Palileo.

Comment

I suspect a better approach would be talking to state legislators who are friendly to SDSU about the situation.

On the other hand there's no way SDSU would be able to match what a BCS school can bring to the table for any of our coaches, even if the one-year-contract policy was changed. Such is life at the bottom of the D-I food chain. That's why the emphasis needs to be building programs the right way--scholarships and facilities. Coaches will go. New, eager coaches will come, if they think that SDSU would be a suitable stepping stone to bigger and better things.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Timing couldn't be worse. I just don't get it. We had an assistant coach who was well liked by the players, parents, staff, community, other student athletes...everyone under the sun; who was a great motivator, recruiter, strategist, and hard worker. And he leaves for a "head coaching opportunity" but only after accepting a job at SIU (as an assistant) and then backing out to go to Drake. Now Palileo resignes and leaves the program and student athletes high and dry. Seems to me like Phil would have been the perfect person to take the program over and to the next level. Again, I just don't get it.

Comment

I'm not sure Phil knew anything of Andrew's intentions when he resigned.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
                        I'm not sure Phil knew anything of Andrew's intentions when he resigned.
                        Thats my point. Why not? Makes no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by darkerstill View Post
                          Thats my point. Why not? Makes no sense.
                          Granted I don't know every detail about the situation. But Phil resigned on Valentine's Day(Feb. 14th). He spent a lot of time traveling the country looking for a job. Drake sat open for 4 months before it is filled. Two months after Phil resigns, Andrew announces his intention for a job that has been open since after Phil resigned.

As it stands right now we have NO GA's, NO Ass't Coaches, and NO Head Coaches. Even though Assistants have been brought in supposedly to check out the campus. Fred has his work cut out for him this spring.

Family definately played some role in both decisions. The program is definately in rebuilding mode as of 5:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
                            Granted I don't know every detail about the situation. But Phil resigned on Valentine's Day(Feb. 14th). He spent a lot of time traveling the country looking for a job. Drake sat open for 4 months before it is filled. Two months after Phil resigns, Andrew announces his intention for a job that has been open since after Phil resigned.

As it stands right now we have NO GA's, NO Ass't Coaches, and NO Head Coaches. Even though Assistants have been brought in supposedly to check out the campus. Fred has his work cut out for him this spring.

Family definately played some role in both decisions. The program is definately in rebuilding mode as of 5:00 PM.
                            Yes, it has been two months since he "resigned." But answer me this: how long had it been since Phil "accepted" the job at Drake? Do you really think Palileo only started looking for other jobs after Phil accepted the job at Drake????? No way. Phil wanted to be a head coach, and he would have been the perfect fit for SDSU. Now what? This whole situation is unreal.

Comment

Good luck and a thank you for their service goes out to Coach Baker and Palileo. I dont see their leaving SDSU as a set back. Those who coach volleyball and know the game are certainly going to be putting their resume's in the mail. Its got to be an opportunity for some one out there.

As far as multi year contracts, that can work both ways. Signing a five year deal and then to find out in the first year, the institution hired the wrong guy or things are not working out. What do you do? To make a coaching change, it costs money to buy back that contract. I think this would be the biggest reason for resisting multi year contracts. Where does that money come from? From the legislature in SD? With one year contracts, the bite no where as damaging as would a 20 million dollar buy out like some of the bigger programs have had to pay. Also whats to stop a successful Coach such Palileo from moving on to greener pastures under a multi year contract? Do you sue him and force him to complete the multi year contract? Now thats would be nicccccccccce. How about it lawyer guys?

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                                Good luck and a thank you for their service goes out to Coach Baker and Palileo. I dont see their leaving SDSU as a set back. Those who coach volleyball and know the game are certainly going to be putting their resume's in the mail. Its got to be an opportunity for some one out there.

As far as multi year contracts, that can work both ways. Signing a five year deal and then to find out in the first year, the institution hired the wrong guy or things are not working out. What do you do? To make a coaching change, it costs money to buy back that contract. I think this would be the biggest reason for resisting multi year contracts. Where does that money come from? From the legislature in SD? With one year contracts, the bite no where as damaging as would a 20 million dollar buy out like some of the bigger programs have had to pay. Also whats to stop a successful Coach such Palileo from moving on to greener pastures under a multi year contract? Do you sue him and force him to complete the multi year contract? Now thats would be nicccccccccce. How about it lawyer guys?

Who is Coach Baker? What sport did he/she coach?

Comment

Working...
                                X