• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nidaros
    replied
    Re: Coach Palileo

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
    There's a big difference between attracting assistant coach applicants and attracting and keeping head coaches. I think you're missing that distinction here.
    Technically you are correct, because nearly every volleyball school has two to three assistants and of course one full head coach, but coaches are for the most part looking for better opportunity especially the younger ones. Thats what seems to be Andrew Palileo's opinion as stated in the Argus

Well lets see who and how any applications are received for Head coach. I cant imagine getting any less than for the assistant jobs. I do think we should be flattered when a sucessful coach leaves for a better job. I am in Palileo's case and even in Mc Daniel's case too for that matter. We cant expect people to stay forever, and Dr Oien was quoted to that effect in today Argus.

Leave a comment:

• rational thought
    replied

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    Explain why Coach Stig got how many applications for his assistant job? Lots of the applications were mostly like from out of state. Multi year contracts do nothing to attract applications. Its the opporturnity to coach and what we do have to offer. Plus an AD can include the same incentives in a single year contract that you can offer in a multi year contract. Yes even the best designed hiring process can go sour and pick the wrong candidates, so with a single year, you dont have to deal with buying out 4 to 5 years of salary. If everything else was equal, would a multiyear contract have kept Coach Palileo at SDSU if he had a shot at Washington State? I don't think so. After all Volleyball is a non revenue sport, or did I make the mistake of buying tickets at the last match I attended. I believe they do sell tickets so volleyball must have some revenue.
    It depends on the color of ink you are using in the ledger.....at most universities the only black ink used, is for FB and BB...and not always for those either. Would the multi year contract have kept him, God only knows....but if it would not have, the athletic dept would have gained some income from a buyout. And how many coaches has Fred had to fire before 5 years?

Leave a comment:

• JimmyJack
    replied

Explain why Coach Stig got how many applications for his assistant job? Lots of the applications were mostly like from out of state. Multi year contracts do nothing to attract applications. Its the opporturnity to coach and what we do have to offer. Plus an AD can include the same incentives in a single year contract that you can offer in a multi year contract. Yes even the best designed hiring process can go sour and pick the wrong candidates, so with a single year, you dont have to deal with buying out 4 to 5 years of salary. If everything else was equal, would a multiyear contract have kept Coach Palileo at SDSU if he had a shot at Washington State? I don't think so. After all Volleyball is a non revenue sport, or did I make the mistake of buying tickets at the last match I attended. I believe they do sell tickets so volleyball must have some revenue.
    There's a big difference between attracting assistant coach applicants and attracting and keeping head coaches. I think you're missing that distinction here.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs...stID=7633#more

Article from the Spokesman Review out of Spokane.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
    Coach McDaniel.
    Thanks again. Only one strike left so will quit this thread.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I do not know who Coach Baker is, but I believe I meant Coach Daniels. Is that correct? If so Thank you for pointing out my mistake.
    Coach McDaniel.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Originally posted by rational thought View Post
    At SDSU's level, you're always going to have movement and want nothing but the best for your coaches....that being said...SDSU needs to work on changing the length of contracts for their head coaches....IMO, it is insane for a person to move their family to SD (any of the schools) for a 1 yr contract.....we ask someone to come and continue to build or rebuild a program, and not give them any job security...and conversely...multi year contracts guard the university from always wondering if a coach may leave every year. This is about as ridiculous as the "work for food" portion of the scholarships when I was in school.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
    Who is Coach Baker? What sport did he/she coach?
    I do not know who Coach Baker is, but I believe I meant Coach Daniels. Is that correct? If so Thank you for pointing out my mistake.

Leave a comment:

• 1stRowFANatic
    replied

NAU in Rapid City just disbanded their volleyball and rodeo programs and my sister from Rapid indicated that she heard the former NAU coach was looking at the SDSU assistant position. He has extensive ties to Brasil, and many of their players came from outside the US. I have no clue if it is accurate.

Leave a comment:

• JimmyJack
    replied

Congratulations to Coach Palileo. He did a great job of building the program here. No doubt SDSU volleyball coach will be an attractive job for somebody after a conference title and NCAA bid.

Leave a comment:

• 1stRowFANatic
    replied

According to past posts, the assistant coach resigned on Feb 14.
    According to TV's article, the Wash St positioned opened Feb 21.

For whatever that is worth.

Congratulations to Coach Palileo, and the SDSU volleyball program that just had its coach "stolen" by a Pac-10 team.

Leave a comment:

• SUPERBUNNY
    replied

I'm sure sad to see Coach Palileo leave but it is a great opportunity for him. He has done a fantastic job at SDSU and is a great addition for Washington State. Pac 10 is a big time conference.

It's sad to see this happen but this is part of the business. Palileo's success here will attract a great list of qualified candidates. If we have continued success in any sport in the Summitt League then those coaches will be looked at by schools in bigger conferences. My thinking on this is that if we have coaches being sought after than they must be having some serious success.

Best of luck to Coach Palileo. Let's get Wazzoo on the schedule!

SUPERBUNNY

Leave a comment:

• 91jack
    replied

Thanks! Artz was the name. I know that coaches and players don't always get along and it depends on who's side of the story you get.
    I'm sure everything will work out well for everybody involved.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
    I "heard" that he got the Mrs. South Dakota to come here and then he pulled her scholarship. I think she went on the be an assistant coach at Sioux Valley the next year. He is the first coach I've heard of doing this. I heard that he got rid of some players who weren't dedicated to the program. I'm assuming she was one of them.
    You are speaking of Deidra Artz, who now plays at Wayne State. I'm not sure that he pulled her scholarship.I believe it was his style of coaching that made her not like playing here. As for the other girls, they will tell you one thing, while the coaches tell another. A mixture of issues lead to their dismissal and transferring to USD.

Leave a comment:

• Jacks-02
    replied

Argus Leader article on Palileo leaving.

http://argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll...44/1002/sports

Leave a comment:

Working...
X