2021 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 Season

The SDSU softball teams opens their season at the UNI Dome this weekend. Here's the full game schedule:
    • 11:15 a.m. Friday – vs. Iowa State (11-13 overall)
    • 6 p.m. Friday – vs. Drake (8-16 overall)
    • 2:45 p.m. Saturday – vs. Drake
    • 5 p.m. Saturday – at Northern Iowa (7-14 overall)
    • 9 a.m. Sunday – vs. Butler (15-8 overall)

After three straight winning seasons, SDSU was picked to finish 2nd in the Summit. For a team that returns essentially their entire starting lineup, it's very encouraging to see some freshman in competition for starting spots. When Coach Wood arrived in 2015, the team ERA was 6.03 which she has helped drop to 2.90 last year. Should be a fun year!

What a start for the softball team! After opening the season 4-1 at the UNI Dome, the Jacks have a perfect weekend in Colorado to move their record to 9-1. Grace Glanzer threw a no-hitter against a quality PAC-12 team, Oregon State, which set the tone for the weekend. SDSU scored 44 runs while allowing only 10 (8 came in game 2 against CO St.)

The offense has been very good with Cylie Halvorson leading the Summit in HRs, Peyton Daugherty 2nd in BA and steals, and Rozelyn Carrillo 2nd in RBIs and HRs.

The freshman pitchers, Grace Glanzer and Tori Kneische, have been dominant. Kneische has a 4-0 record, 1.17 ERA, and 34 strikeouts in 24 innings. Glanzer has a 3-1 record with a 1.93 ERA, 19 strikeouts, and the aforementioned no-hitter against Oregon State. Future is bright for this team!

Comment

Softball team sweeps KC to open Summit League play. The Jacks now sit at the top with a 19-4 record. SDSU leads the Summit in every offensive category expect doubles (2nd), walks (4th), and stolen bases (3rd). Defensively, they lead the Summit in fielding percentage and ERA.

Individually, the young Jackrabbits have been incredible. Emma Osmundson (SF Lincoln) is leading the league in batting average (.481), triples (4), and is in the top 10 in several other categories. Peyton Daugherty is 3rd in batting average (.376), 1st in runs (24), 1st in hits (32), and 2nd in steals (12). Cylie Halvorson (SF Roosevelt) is tied for 1st in HRs (8) and 3rd in RBIs (23). Tori Kneische leads the league in ERA (1.94) and wins (9). Grace Glanzer (SF Roosevelt) is 3rd in ERA (2.61) and 2nd in wins (8). Again, 3 of these players (Glanzer, Osmundson, and Kneische) are freshman.

I'm really excited about the future of Jackrabbit softball and think this is the year they finally have a great chance at winning the Summit League. This team is incredibly young and talented and I would love to see the program generate more interest!

Comment

Originally posted by Project-Badass View Post
        Softball team sweeps KC to open Summit League play. The Jacks now sit at the top with a 19-4 record. SDSU leads the Summit in every offensive category expect doubles (2nd), walks (4th), and stolen bases (3rd). Defensively, they lead the Summit in fielding percentage and ERA.

Individually, the young Jackrabbits have been incredible. Emma Osmundson (SF Lincoln) is leading the league in batting average (.481), triples (4), and is in the top 10 in several other categories. Peyton Daugherty is 3rd in batting average (.376), 1st in runs (24), 1st in hits (32), and 2nd in steals (12). Cylie Halvorson (SF Roosevelt) is tied for 1st in HRs (8) and 3rd in RBIs (23). Tori Kneische leads the league in ERA (1.94) and wins (9). Grace Glanzer (SF Roosevelt) is 3rd in ERA (2.61) and 2nd in wins (8). Again, 3 of these players (Glanzer, Osmundson, and Kneische) are freshman.

I'm really excited about the future of Jackrabbit softball and think this is the year they finally have a great chance at winning the Summit League. This team is incredibly young and talented and I would love to see the program generate more interest!
        I have been following them along since the beginning of the season. Their young pitching staff has been insanely good! Complete, no-hitter games good! I agree that they should be generating more interest, especially on this board. Softball and soccer are both fantastic programs having great seasons but do not seem to have the same following as the "revenue" sports. They deserve the casual fans notice right now!
        Rollin' in my 5.0
        With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
        Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

We did a special episode last night focused on soccer and softball. I was joined by Andrew Sogn (former SID), Julia Lam (Soccer alum) and Ali Herdliska (softball alum). It was a really fun episode to record and I learned plenty. Give it a listen. https://anchor.fm/jackrabbit-illstrt...Special-eusjg7
          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post

I have been following them along since the beginning of the season. Their young pitching staff has been insanely good! Complete, no-hitter games good! I agree that they should be generating more interest, especially on this board. Softball and soccer are both fantastic programs having great seasons but do not seem to have the same following as the "revenue" sports. They deserve the casual fans notice right now!
            I've noticed that since we've hired coach Woods into the softball program, we've become dramatically better, as long as we can retain her as coach, I believe the program will continue to only get better and better. As far as soccer, yes our fantastic coach left , but the coaching there too remains strong and the program too, just wish we could elevate our Volleyball program and keep them there as we have done in soccer and softball, Wbb, etc. I enjoy watching all these teams play. Call me a fair weather fan, but, lets face it, watching wins is far better than watching a loss, but, I do appreciate any athlete who goes out and puts forth their best effort, it's hard doing that when the reward for it is minimal, but they do it for the joy of playing the sport, none the less.

Comment

Well, the softball team's 16-game winning streak came to an end today with a 3-1 loss to USD. However, in game 2, the Jackrabbits won 10-0 in five innings while Tori Kneische threw a no-hitter. SDSU Softball is now 30-5 overall, and 15-1 in the Summit.

Comment

Jacks took both games against USD today by a combined 19-3 score.

THEY ARE SUMMIT LEAGUE CHAMPS! Just an incredible turnaround for a program that was terrible.
                Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post

THEY ARE SUMMIT LEAGUE CHAMPS! Just an incredible turnaround for a program that was terrible.
                  That gets Jacks another point in the Showdown series too, I believe

Speaking of the Showdown, I think Stig and Nielson should have a staring contest for the football points rather than just canceling it

Comment

Looks like the SDSU women's golf team will gain us another point in the Showdown Series. We're ahead of them by 29 strokes going in to the final day. The women are three strokes behind Denver for the conference championship. Toscano is leading three Pioneers by one stroke for the individual medalist.

The men square off next week in the Summit League Championships. The two teams squared off against each other twice in early April, both times State had the upper hand but the Yotes were within striking distance both times.

Then we finish off the challenge in T&F where they split during the indoor season. We could have it locked up after next weekend. SDSU currently leads 7.5 points to 5.5 points. (I'd say the football game being cancelled just delayed us wrapping this up, but that would be smack and that's reserved for a different thread.)

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                      Looks like the SDSU women's golf team will gain us another point in the Showdown Series. We're ahead of them by 29 strokes going in to the final day. The women are three strokes behind Denver for the conference championship. Toscano is leading three Pioneers by one stroke for the individual medalist.

The men square off next week in the Summit League Championships. The two teams squared off against each other twice in early April, both times State had the upper hand but the Yotes were within striking distance both times.

Then we finish off the challenge in T&F where they split during the indoor season. We could have it locked up after next weekend. SDSU currently leads 7.5 points to 5.5 points. (I'd say the football game being cancelled just delayed us wrapping this up, but that would be smack and that's reserved for a different thread.)
                      So I wonder how the leagues commissioners cup stuff works with covid this year. I would assume they are back to tracking for it.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post

Who doesn't like a powerhouse hitting team that also has great defense, pitching. Our great coach is masterfully putting it all together, please keep her forever here! She's got a tremendous eye for talent and getting them here. The future looks very bright.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post

Cross Country still not on the scoreboard. Jacks get two more points there, but it's never been on the scoreboard this year.

In the rules, cross country counts and the Jacks have it wrapped up when it's added into the total.

Comment

I believe USD did not participate in in the Summit League Cross Country Championship meet. (I think the participants were UND, NDSU, SDSU and Western Illinois. Perhaps that is why there are no points for Cross Country in the Showdown?

Comment

SDSU outscores Creighton 20-2 in a two-game sweep today. SDSU breaks the school record for HRs in a season with 55 and counting. In game two, Tori Kneische threw ANOTHER NO-HITTER, her second and the Jackrabbits' third of the season.

Comment

Working...
                              X