• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2013 Recruiting List

More good news!

Comment

Originally posted by BudLight Jackrabbit View Post
      TV's TwitterClark/Willow Lake guard Skyler Flatten (@sflat10) said he has verballed to SDSU for men's basketball. USD, NDSU, Drake and UTEP offered.The 6-5, 205-pound Flatten – who put up 25 ppg last season – is the 4th verbal for SDSU, completing the 2013 recruiting class.
      Huge get for the coaching staff. This kid is under rated and will shine at State!

Pumped about this one!
      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Dude is legit. Just a natural athlete.
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by BudLight Jackrabbit View Post
          TV's Twitter

Clark/Willow Lake guard Skyler Flatten (@sflat10) said he has verballed to SDSU for men's basketball. USD, NDSU, Drake and UTEP offered.

The 6-5, 205-pound Flatten – who put up 25 ppg last season – is the 4th verbal for SDSU, completing the 2013 recruiting class.
          I got a call from a close family acquaintance the night SDSU offered. It was my sense that SDSU was the front runner from that point forward. This is a great addition.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
            I'm going to have to watch him play. I've heard a bunch about him, but have never watched him play. The big surprise about the 2013 class is how local it is. They are good recruits, so its not a complaint, but after a NCAA appearance I figured we'd see one of the more regionally diverse recruiting class, not one of the more local recruiting classes. When is the last time the men's team had 4 early signees?
            I'm glad the coaching staff didn't ignore the talent locally and look outside the state just because they made a tournament appearance. Sometimes the best kids are local
            "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
              I'm glad the coaching staff didn't ignore the talent locally and look outside the state just because they made a tournament appearance. Sometimes the best kids are local
              I agree, I just thought if there was a year where we saw a recruit from outside the normal recruiting grounds it would be this year, and instead it was one of the more locally based recruiting classes in D-I history.

Comment

I agree, I just thought if there was a year where we saw a recruit from outside the normal recruiting grounds it would be this year, and instead it was one of the more locally based recruiting classes in D-I history.
                But look at the recruits they got commitments from after the tournament: one from California (via Australia) and another from Oklahoma.
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

You can't compete at the DI level with local kids, just won't happen. When SDSU made the move to DI they shut out all the local high school talent. All you are going to see are kids from the Twin Cities, Chicago, no Brookings or local kids. Just another reason it was a bad idea to leave the NCC.

(a lot of people said just that)
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Now we have a verbal from Skylar Flatten out of Clark-Willow Lake. From the western Minneapolis suburbs.

Comment

Who is flattens game like (ie) current or former players? What are his strengths weaknesses? I don't know much about him.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                        Who is flattens game like (ie) current or former players? What are his strengths weaknesses? I don't know much about him.
                        Current player comparision would be similar to Chad White. He has the ability to score from 3-pt line and get to the rim in one bounce. He is an outstanding 3-point shooter. He's smooth and has explosive athletism. Decent handles and good passer. He's relied upon by his HS team to do it all and plays multiple positions. See him as a 2-3 combo guard in college. Knock on Skyler is that he doesn't play hard. I don't think this is a fair assessment as many times he makes things look easy. He can defend but needs to improve to college level defender and needs to become a more active rebounder. Tends to allow others to get rebounds. He will need to find that extra gear at the college level. He's a young senior and age wise could be a Junior. This is a tremendous recruit for SDSU and a good fit for Skyler.

Comment

Originally posted by Cadsev View Post
                          Current player comparision would be similar to Chad White. He has the ability to score from 3-pt line and get to the rim in one bounce. He is an outstanding 3-point shooter. He's smooth and has explosive athletism. Decent handles and good passer. He's relied upon by his HS team to do it all and plays multiple positions. See him as a 2-3 combo guard in college. Knock on Skyler is that he doesn't play hard. I don't think this is a fair assessment as many times he makes things look easy. He can defend but needs to improve to college level defender and needs to become a more active rebounder. Tends to allow others to get rebounds. He will need to find that extra gear at the college level. He's a young senior and age wise could be a Junior. This is a tremendous recruit for SDSU and a good fit for Skyler.
                          Thanks Cadsev, an honest opinion that we can trust. Looks like Nagy and staff have some work cut out for him, but it will no doubt be a good fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Cadsev View Post
                            This sounds like a player that has a lot of upside that could be something special down the road. Now that the program has some depth,I would rather sign this type of player than someone who might be ready to play right away,but not have the upside potential.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              This sounds like a player that has a lot of upside that could be something special down the road. Now that the program has some depth,I would rather sign this type of player than someone who might be ready to play right away,but not have the upside potential.
                              He has a TON of potential and a HUGE upside. He'll contribute early and often to the program.

Comment

How crazy is it that our recruiting is already done for NEXT year when the Jacks haven't even had their first official practice of this year? I'm thinking there will be a few happy Coaches wives at the very least!

That being said, color me a little disappointed that the Class of 2013 is all home grown - I admit to liking the diversity of 2013 - Alaska/Oklahoma/California/Illinois/Portugal. I just think that it makes for a bit of depth and keeps things interesting. I don't have anything against the 2013 recruits at all but I think with guys with different experiences bring different talents to the table and certainly gets the Jackrabbit brand known outside of SD. I would have also liked to see a bit more height in this recruiting class but I'll keep the faith and trust the coaches.
                                Message for the youth: “Set your goals high and work for them, because if you set your goals where they should be, it’s going to require a lot of hard work. And even if you don’t achieve them, it shows longevity, and it shows commitment. And those are both things you need for the rest of your life,” Tony Fiegen

Comment

Working...
                                X