Kentucky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kentucky

The UK fans don't like Holdren very much.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I see we have 29-30 on-line tonight, most are lurking.

Jacks down 71-54, will play UNC at 6 pm tomorrow.

Called our game with UNC a "West Coast" game.

I think thats amazing.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
        The UK fans don't like Holdren very much.
        They think he threw a cheap shot at one of their boys. Good, I like that.

About what I expected, low scoring, rough on offense, nice intensity. Without a huge game by Beran our O really struggles. Need some guys to step up. I think they can. Holdren stuggled, Cadwell looks good, Gilbert will find his groove. Berte is an animal, Loney is solid, depth will be a problem.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

We didn't embarrass ourselves. 71-54 is the final, and we played hard all game long.

Beran is a horse. The rest of the team still needs to come together, but we now have a D-I team on the court--a big difference from last year.

Bring on UNC!
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Our shooting guard (Cadwell) has to contribute more than 3 points for us to have success this year.

Comment

Outrebounded by five, 45-40. Held UK to 39% shooting, shot 37% ourselves.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                Outrebounded by five, 45-40.  Held UK to 39% shooting, shot 37% ourselves.
                Kentucky site has Cadwell with 7, couple of nice drives. I'm more concerned about to's by the guards. Lets get Holdren on the board. Berte really not a factor on O and might not be.

Comment

Listening to Steve Imming's post-game...with Assistant Coach Troy Larson - --  being pretty tough on four of the Jacks, said four left their hearts on the floor but four others didn't play well, came out scared etc.

That may be an accurate assessment.  I hope they can figure out a way to motivate guys because this is a season in which the Jacks have the chance to gel early as a team and put on an impressive show.

Comment

One positive, we did out rebound them 36 to 35. I was concerned since we don't have a lot of size inside and UK is huge inside.

We also held them to under 40% shooting from the field.

I am feeling better about our team. Good Luck against UNC. Bring home a victory.

Go State!!! ;D ;D ;D
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Yahoo sports has some nice links. I listened to the KU broadcast, very well done, live stats, good play-by-play and color guy.

Here is a generic link. Sign in if yahoo user and check out the schedule. Jacks vs Gophers is there, I didn't check anything else.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/collegeb...uEqybxaCA5nYcB

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
                        Listening to Steve Imming's post-game...coach--is that an assistant? --  being pretty tough on four of the Jacks, said four left their hearts on the floor but four others didn't play well, came out scared etc.

Probably a fairly accurate assessment.  I hope they can figure out a way to motivate guys because this is a season in which the Jacks have the chance to gel early as a team and put on an impressive show.
                        The assistant is Troy Larson. No doubt this is correction in progress in making this assessment. This game may not have been the best effort, but we got some talent and this year Coach Nagy can make a silk purse out of silk. Last year he tried to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and did not work.

UNC is not the NCC team so says Coach Larson, much better and we will have a challenge.

Comment

The ESPNU announcers were very complimentary of the Jacks, mentioning the effort, the push-it-up style, and predicting good things for the future. That Rondo kid is just unbelievable and really hurt us with the steals and the threes. Now we know what a pre-season All-American looks like.

I thought the Jacks played pretty well, although they missed a lot of open shots. The defense was decent and Kentucky had to work some, although they have such amazing athletes, good defense isn't always enough. Other than the first few minutes, nobody looked intimidated. Beran was stellar. Gilbert had quite a few boards and a couple of nice dunks. Holdren wasn't a factor, but Tubby Smith was talking about him before the game so maybe he was a defensive focus for them. Casey did a nice job. Loney was his usual workmanlike self.

I realize there are no moral victories, but you have to be encouraged by the effort and by what the young guys (we have a very young team, remember) showed at times tonight. Now let's beat the daylights out of UNC.

Comment

I think you're right, SDSUFAN. I listened to much of the Kentucky internet feed and WNAX at the same time. I hope the coaches and players realize that we just played a game with one of the best teams and while we didn't do everything right, we know we did a few things and we know what it takes to improve. The fact is, this team has the ability to improve whereas last year's team was just bound to have some struggles.

I'm optimistic!

Comment

I think you have to come away from this game feeling like we deserved to be on the same floor with Kentucky.

With a veteran Jackrabbit back court instead of two freshmen, this would have been a much closer game than it was--fewer turnovers, better offensive flow.

Our freshmen guards will get better, and as they do, our team will be better. This will be a pretty darn good basketball team by the end of the year.

"I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
                                I think you're right, SDSUFAN.  I listened to much of the Kentucky internet feed and WNAX at the same time.  I hope the coaches and players realize that we just played a game with one of the best teams and while we didn't do everything right, we know we did a few things and we know what it takes to improve.  The fact is, this team has the ability to improve whereas last year's team was just bound to have some struggles.

I'm optimistic!
                                I agree. The talent is there. Hit a few shots, get a few breaks, and we would have been in the game tonight... with two freshmen playing at guard against one of the best teams in the country. Nagy will get what he wants out of the players... or they won't be playing.

Comment

Working...
                                X