Hot Stove 2010-11: Men's Basketball Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Stove 2010-11: Men's Basketball Edition

Here's a sticky thread for people to discuss the 2010-11 edition of Jackrabbit men's basketball. It should be an interesting year, to say the least, with the incoming freshman and the returning players that Coach Nagy will have to work with.

So, questions like what do people expect from the freshmen, who if anybody will redshirt, roles for the returning players, who'll be starters, who'll come off the bench, the schedule as it comes together, season predictions, and anything else that pertains will be fair game here.

For starters:
    2010 graduating seniors:
    Garrett Callahan, guard, 25.8 minutes per game, 11.9 points per game,
    Mark Engen, center, 7.0 minutes per game, 2.8 points per game,
    Kai Williams, forward, 28.0 minutes per game, 11.1 points per game.

Next year's roster:
    Anthony Cordova, forward, senior
    Dale Moss, guard, senior
    Michael Palarca, guard, senior
    Clint Sargent, guard, senior
    Payton Tivis, guard, senior
    Griffan Callahan, guard, junior
    Josh Cassaday, forward, junior
    Dwight Pederson, forward, junior
    Tony Fiegen, forward, sophomore
    James Rader, forward, sophomore
    Nate Wolters, guard, sophomore
    Brayden Carlson, guard, RS freshman
    Chad White, guard, RS freshman

Incoming freshmen:
    Jordan Dykstra, forward, Rock Valley, Iowa
    Marcus Heemstra, forward, Rock Valley, Iowa

(did I get everybody?)
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: Hot Stove 2010-11: Men's Basketball Edition

Aren;t there some rules about discussing coming/going of current athletes. I don't remember what they are, and I am not sure these posts violated those, just wondering what they were again.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
      Aren;t there some rules about discussing coming/going of current athletes. I don't remember what they are, and I am not sure these posts violated those, just wondering what they were again.
      I think one of the requests was if you were going to post regarding a student athlete leaving the team, you should list a credible source or where you got the information so rumors just aren't started. (Not saying the information you heard is true or untrue NoHop.) I'm sure Filbert had a better way of wording his forum rule regarding this issue.
      Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

I think a few things are important to continue on the right track.

1. Cordova must get back to at least his sophomore form and improve on that.
        2. Sargent is going to have to be the leader and average over 16 ppg.
        3. Someone must assert themselves as the "rebounder". I think Fiegen or one of the two Rock Valley kids are the best candidates to step into this role, but that is a tough task for underclassmen at the D-1 level.

*Extra...hope Benson goes pro.

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
          I think one of the requests was if you were going to post regarding a student athlete leaving the team, you should list a credible source or where you got the information so rumors just aren't started. (Not saying the information you heard is true or untrue NoHop.) I'm sure Filbert had a better way of wording his forum rule regarding this issue.
          This is true.

Statements like "I heard player X is leaving" are not acceptable on this board, unless accompanied by a SPECIFIC source--media report, or individual's NAME who told you that.

Offending posts, and posts referring to those posts, are deleted.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            This is true.

Statements like "I heard player X is leaving" are not acceptable on this board, unless accompanied by a SPECIFIC source--media report, or individual's NAME who told you that.

Offending posts, and posts referring to those posts, are deleted.
            So can I quote having talked to a current player without giving his name?

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU Dad View Post
              So can I quote having talked to a current player without giving his name?
              No.

You want to post it, you provide the source. Simple enough.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Well, I talked with Chad White this weekend and he says he's coming back next year! He's ready and rarin' to go, though he'll look a little funny flipping someone the bird with that crooked digit!

**addendum: In case anyone wonders about the accuracy of this statement, I talked with him at the Sioux Falls Airport Ramada in the Madison Hospitality Room Saturday night at approximately 11:00 p.m. after the Bulldogs won the State "A" Basketball championship.**
                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

I guess my concern is our Jr class. Overall we look to be longer and more athletic then past teams. not sure where we are going to go for a go to player. Clint can shoot but struggles with creating his own shot. Maybe Wolters will get that role as a soph. We seem set at the forward positions although still young there. would like to get match up situations to exploit Mosses athletic ablility. Over all I am very excited for next year.

Sr class. Sargent needs to find his shot, AC needs to rebound from his jr slump. Dale could see more playing time now that Kai is gone. I like Palarca as either a starter or back up PG. Most likely back up this year. Over all should be a solid senior class.

jr class, hope Cassaday is able to improve and help make a difference. Grif I think plays hard enough and being out of Garrets shaddow can help him find his identity, maybe think more of a scorers then role player. Pederson, not sure if he will be productive to help the team or not, I really dont know much about him. Just seems a bit of a thin class.

Sophs, will be strong. We have a ton of talent and ability all over. I could see Feigen and Wolters starting. Rader will need to improve his foot speed on defense but his shooting could be very big with Kai and Garrett gone.

RS Fsh, White will see plenty of time, I think he proved his value to this team already. Carlson, not bad having a 3rd string PG who can shoot like he can. If he shoots well he could easily move up the charts. Seems to be quick and long so could help on the D, but really dont know his game too well yet.

FRESHMAN, lets just say, I dont think either will start, but both can very well be difference makers. too many skills, and then can both pass, score, rebound. I would love too see those 2 and Fiegen crash the boards and work inside together.

starting lineup
                  Wolters
                  Sargent
                  Moss
                  Fiegen
                  AC

backups
                  Palarca
                  Grif
                  White
                  Dykstra
                  Hemmstra

Rader, Carlson, Cassaday fighting for playing time. Leading scorers will be, Sargent, Wolters, AC, White.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
                    In case anyone wonders about the accuracy of this statement, I talked with him at the Sioux Falls Airport Ramada in the Madison Hospitality Room Saturday night at approximately 11:00 p.m. after the Bulldogs won the State "A" Basketball championship.**
                    Were you standing or sitting at the time? What was the room number? Was there a stenographer taking notes? DAMM!T MAN, WE NEED SPECIFICS!!

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                      Were you standing or sitting at the time? What was the room number? Was there a stenographer taking notes? DAMM!T MAN, WE NEED SPECIFICS!!
                      Yes and it shall be notarized...

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                        *Extra...hope Benson goes pro.
                        During the Oakland game at home one of my friends asked the women's head coach what year Benson was, and she said he was a Junior but would be a lottery pick.

ESPN says this about Benson

"Benson has been putting up big numbers all year, and the tournament was no exception. He had 28 points and nine rebounds against Pittsburgh and showed off his huge upside. But don't be too fooled. He's a terrible defender and needs to add a lot of strength. Will he get some second-round love? Sure. But if he wants to crack the first round, he needs to head back to school."

Lets hope he listens to the women's coach

Comment

Originally posted by astat32 View Post
                          During the Oakland game at home one of my friends asked the women's head coach what year Benson was, and she said he was a Junior but would be a lottery pick.

"Benson has been putting up big numbers all year, and the tournament was no exception. He had 28 points and nine rebounds against Pittsburgh and showed off his huge upside. But don't be too fooled. He's a terrible defender and needs to add a lot of strength. Will he get some second-round love? Sure. But if he wants to crack the first round, he needs to head back to school."

What a coincidence. I ran into Ron Lenz SID Emeritius, in Wal Mart shortly after the Oakland game. I of course had to get Ron's take on the potential NBA guy, namely Benson. Ron said something similar, especially about adding strength. Ron did not sound like Benson would make it in the NBA. So Benson has his critics and soon the ones that count are going to rule his career.

Comment

Originally posted by astat32 View Post

Defense! Do they play defense in the NBA? I personally think he will be back with Oakland. I also believe there are about 50 Benson's in college this year. He would simply be another player at a Kentucky, Kansas etc.

That said, this Jackrabbit fan hopes he moves on!

GBGBGJ

Comment

Hey.

It's not like the NBA draft hasn't been home to some spectacular busts over the last few years...........

Heck, is there any major league draft that is more prone to 'where are they now?' follow-ups than the NBA draft?

Comment

Working...
                              X