Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NDSU Day

Originally posted by hoops_guy View Post
    I'm not going to argue. The bottom line is game plans are just that, "Plans". To sit there and say, "we had a great game plan, but the guys didn't make enough shots." is unacceptable. Plans then need to be adapted to find easier shots. Saturday, we made enough shots to win the game, but we didn't get enough stops.

To clarify, I NEVER said the coaching was bad. The current coach has always found a way to make clear the schedule, the players, the injuries, the competition, have always been what has contributed to any lack of success, but that's about it.

I do respect your opinion and I actually have some legitimacy to mine.

Have a good one and I think we both agree we want to see the Jacks continue to get better.
    Sorry hoops, but this seems like a chicken/egg argument.

Two theories:

We made enough shots to win the game, but we didn't get enough stops.

We made enough stops to win the game, but we didn't make enough shots.

If we make one or two free throws in crunch time (or OT, or second OT), we win. If we get one stop in crunch time (or OT, or second OT), we win.

If NDSU misses an extra free throw in crunch time (or OT), they lose. If they miss one jumper in crunch time (or OT) they lose.

I don't think its fair to either coach to say one out coached the other in the game last Saturday. Did Saul coach his guy to stick the ball on the rim?

Sometimes in close games, one bad bounce of the ball can decide the outcome, and coaching has very little to do with it.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

Two theories:

If we make one or two free throws in crunch time (or OT, or second OT), we win. If we get one stop in crunch time (or OT, or second OT), we win.

If NDSU misses an extra free throw in crunch time (or OT), they lose. If they miss one jumper in crunch time (or OT) they lose.

I don't think its fair to either coach to say one out coached the other in the game last Saturday. Did Saul coach his guy to stick the ball on the rim?

Sometimes in close games, one bad bounce of the ball can decide the outcome, and coaching has very little to do with it.
      Coaching does have to do with not fouling both times. Maybe Nagy instructed the players to foul when we were up 3 and they didn't follow through. If he didn't, I would say that is a pretty big error.
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
        Coaching does have to do with not fouling both times. Maybe Nagy instructed the players to foul when we were up 3 and they didn't follow through. If he didn't, I would say that is a pretty big error.
        \

i thought in the postgame, one of the players said, they knew they were suppose to foul but didnt. but then not all college coaches agree with fouling in that situation. i agree you should but not everyone does.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
          \

i thought in the postgame, one of the players said, they knew they were suppose to foul but didnt. but then not all college coaches agree with fouling in that situation. i agree you should but not everyone does.
          I would say if we didnt foul and NDSU got lucky they made the 1st 3 to send to over time, I would have said, you got one but ill be damned if you get another, so no foul we are not stopping the clock. POOP. well, fool me once.........

Really the odds of hitting 2 gaming tying 3s in final seconds on fairly low percentage attempts? for one night NDSU was the lucky team, but i feel a lot of luck is you make your own luck and breaks in games.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I think the right call was made in regulation, Vaughan threw up a brick with 9 seconds left and the ball luckily bounced to Zastrow who hit the three.

In OT, Vaughan got a great look and sunk it with 3 seconds left, probably should have fouled before he got the shot off.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

Two theories:

OK, guess we'll just count on the stars being aligned when we need them to be. On the other hand, I'll believe we need to defend better. As a team we have MUCH more control over that than we do making shots. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                \

That was Moss and what he said was "we know we are suppose to foul in that situation", well that wasn't exactly what he said but pretty darn close.

My opinion, as a physician who doesn't currently coach any level of basketball, is that you foul any time the clock is under 8 seconds. You foul before that and the team can make 2 FT's, foul you, you miss 2 FT's and they have plenty of time to get a lay-up or draw a foul and beat you with 2 points (layup or FT's).

Bad bounce on the miss in regulation, poor execution on the last play of OT. Either way, make FT's and we win. End of discussion, on to the next game.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Oh yeah, one more thing, you'd be mistaken not to give Coach Phillips some credit for the way he handled the end of that game. He recognized what the officials were giving the Bison and instructed his players to take advantage. They responded and in part due to that, won the game. Isn't that what it's really about?
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by hoops_guy View Post
                    OK, guess we'll just count on the stars being aligned when we need them to be. On the other hand, I'll believe we need to defend better. As a team we have MUCH more control over that than we do making shots. Just my opinion.
                    I agree we should defend better. We should also make our free throws when they count most. You can go round and round with the if we make one stop/make one shot arguments. All I'm saying is that on Saturday night we played well enough to win the game (I'm not saying we played great), a couple bad breaks and fortunate plays by the Bison cost us in the end.
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

No offense to anyone posting on this thread meant, but in all seriousness...

DIE THREAD DIE

Comment

Originally posted by leeshajo View Post
                        No offense to anyone posting on this thread meant, but in all seriousness...

DIE THREAD DIE
                        The correct statement should have been:

Pie, I like Pie!!!
                        Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                          The correct statement should have been:

Pie, I like Pie!!!

LOL That too... sorry. thanks for the correction.

Comment

One last comment regarding the game. What a nice half time show with the kids out there. Very entertaining.
                            Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                              One last comment regarding the game. What a nice half time show with the kids out there. Very entertaining.

Great Point. After that first half debacle, some of those kids showed the best ball skills of anyone on the court.

They were very intertaining!!

Go Jacks!!
                              SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Working...
                              X