NDSU Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NDSU Day

After what happened last year (twice?) and then at the end of regulation, how in the hell do you not foul when they get across half court in the first OT? Besides the fact giving up the offensive rebound at the end of regulation and giving them an open three was pathetic. Along with missing FT's. Especially Kai, you're a senior, you've never beaten these clowns, make the shot.

Playing down to their "dumbed down" offense through the whole game is crap. They don't want to play up tempo. Don't play into their hand, make them uncomfortable. That's Nagy's fault.

Saul Phillips is now the whiniest little b!tch in the Summit League. His incessant pissing and moaning at the refs in the second half made Kampe and Sutton look like priests. Just because the more aggressive Jacks offense in the second half was making your players foul left and right doesn't mean the calls should get evened up with your boring 35 second offense.

This is why NDSU is not the team the Jacks want in the first round of the tournament. Not because it's bad for the SF Sports Authority, because they're a bad matchup and they are in this team's head whether they will admit it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
      Bison just wouldn't go away. I already hate that Zastrow kid. Nice shooter, he will be giving people fits for three more years.
      Reminds me of Bison guy named Woodside...I wouldn't say 'hate' him, but really dreading seeing him twice a year....tough player

Comment

Originally posted by rabbitears View Post
        Reminds me of Bison guy named Woodside...I wouldn't say 'hate' him, but really dreading seeing him twice a year....tough player
        Zastrow definitely had a good game and was clutch, but lets not start comparing him to Woodside just yet...
        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
        - Steven Wright

Comment

I am a Jackrabbit fan...and I'm not an alum.
          I really think the officiating in last nights game was bad...for both teams!
          I'm no 'official' on officiating, however I have seen a lot of basketball games and have a number of good friends who are refs. I really thought there were a lot of bad mechanics in last nights game...being in the wrong spot, bad game procedures, and what I'll call just weird behavior from that trio.
          On one occasion late in the regulation, NDSU calls a time out and the ref simply whistled timeout, glanced at the scorers table and walked away! Made no official clock start or anything...official scorers had to stand up and get their attention to get it right! That should not happen at a junior high game!
          There are going to be missed calls, I get it. But what they did to last nights game, especially the last 5 minutes of regulation, was bad for both the Bison and the Jackrabbits. I would like to see their game review they received after last nights game.
          Summit League Commissioner Tom Douple was at Frost last night, so maybe he noticed something that wasn't quite right...but now it takes action.

I haven't investigated anything on-line, but does anybody know what 'requirements' there are to being a Division One and/or Summit League official??
          I know the Missouri Valley football officials go through the wringer on a weekly basis...does basketball do the same thing? If not...they should!

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
            Zastrow definitely had a good game and was clutch, but lets not start comparing him to Woodside just yet...
            I might be nit-picking words here, but I think he "reminds" me of him...I didn't mean to imply he is him.
            I did sense a bit of cocky-ness from Zastrow, that was very un-Woodside'ish

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
              After what happened last year (twice?) and then at the end of regulation, how in the hell do you not foul when they get across half court in the first OT? Besides the fact giving up the offensive rebound at the end of regulation and giving them an open three was pathetic. Along with missing FT's. Especially Kai, you're a senior, you've never beaten these clowns, make the shot.

Playing down to their "dumbed down" offense through the whole game is crap. They don't want to play up tempo. Don't play into their hand, make them uncomfortable. That's Nagy's fault.

Saul Phillips is now the whiniest little b!tch in the Summit League. His incessant pissing and moaning at the refs in the second half made Kampe and Sutton look like priests. Just because the more aggressive Jacks offense in the second half was making your players foul left and right doesn't mean the calls should get evened up with your boring 35 second offense.

This is why NDSU is not the team the Jacks want in the first round of the tournament. Not because it's bad for the SF Sports Authority, because they're a bad matchup and they are in this team's head whether they will admit it or not.
              Not sure you can blame the Jacks for giving up that rebound at the end of regulation. You can be blocking out perfectly,but when it goes that long,it's basically just luck as to where it ends up.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post

The funny thing is that normally Saul doesn't whine or yell at the refs. I was surprised

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                  Not sure you can blame the Jacks for giving up that rebound at the end of regulation. You can be blocking out perfectly,but when it goes that long,it's basically just luck as to where it ends up.
                  I agree, I if you try to position yourself to get that long rebound you will give up the ability to get far more rebounds that are much more likely to occur. They got the bounce on that one, not by anything they did or we didn't do.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

There has been alot of talk about fouling when up by three and not giving the Bison an opportunity to tie the game. Personally, I think Palarca was trying to foul his man when his player had just crossed half court in the first overtime, but the official didn't make the call. It looked to me like Mike was trying to "reach" for the ball as his player dribbled across half court, and like had happened for the last 5 minutes of the game, the refs made weird calls, this time actually not making a call. Now I am not in any way blaming the game on the officials. But I do think that they lost complete control of the game from that 5 minute mark in regulation. Didn't lost the game for the Jacks, but wasn't fun to watch them either. Anyway, I sure thought Palarca was trying to foul. Just what I saw.

Comment

The biggest question for me is why isn't Tony Fiegen getting more minutes? You can't honestly tell me that Mark Engen is a better player. I want to like Engen because he tries hard and he's a senior, but at some point you have to go with the talent. Fiegen is more athletic, quicker, stronger, plays better defense, and can rebound and shoot better.

Comment

Originally posted by reveroo View Post
                        There has been alot of talk about fouling when up by three and not giving the Bison an opportunity to tie the game. Personally, I think Palarca was trying to foul his man when his player had just crossed half court in the first overtime, but the official didn't make the call. It looked to me like Mike was trying to "reach" for the ball as his player dribbled across half court, and like had happened for the last 5 minutes of the game, the refs made weird calls, this time actually not making a call. Now I am not in any way blaming the game on the officials. But I do think that they lost complete control of the game from that 5 minute mark in regulation. Didn't lost the game for the Jacks, but wasn't fun to watch them either. Anyway, I sure thought Palarca was trying to foul. Just what I saw.
                        I disagree. The effort was poor at best if it was the case.

Comment

Originally posted by lakecojack View Post
                          The biggest question for me is why isn't Tony Fiegen getting more minutes? You can't honestly tell me that Mark Engen is a better player. I want to like Engen because he tries hard and he's a senior, but at some point you have to go with the talent. Fiegen is more athletic, quicker, stronger, plays better defense, and can rebound and shoot better.
                          Due to your screen name, I am thinking you might be called a little biased, but I will totally agree with you.

I don't know where the love for Engen comes in, but I don't give him much. He's had a couple of good games, but when he had a career high of 8 points earlier this year, that's about all that has to be said. I think for his height, he's a below average defensive player and a worse offensive player inside of 10' from the hoop. Yes he's went through some tough years and stuck with it and for that he should get credit.

I would give Fiegen the time. He's not going to be worse then Engen. Tony might make some freshman mistakes, but that's what freshmen make. Wolters had a couple of bad TO's last night, it happens. Tony appears to rebound hard, which I thought he was a little soft at in the 5 or so games I watched him in h.s. But if anybody can get guys to rebound in college, it's Nagy. And he is more of a threat on offense. I just really wish he would have made that second FT last night.

As of now, I would consider not redshirting Fiegen a mistake. He hasn't gotten enough valuable court time to have made it worthwhile to play him as a true freshman, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by lakecojack View Post
                            I do not think he has been healthy and is just getting back into playing shape. That is probably one reason.

Comment

Originally posted by ndsubison1 View Post
                              The funny thing is that normally Saul doesn't whine or yell at the refs. I was surprised
                              I think he was mad because the refs wouldn't take the time to check the clock towards the end of regulation. He was trying to sneak a officials timeout instead of taking one of his own by having the officials check the clock. The refs didn't go for it and he was peed off.

As for the refs, I still can't believe how inconsistent they were. Garrett gets called for 2 holds in a row, but the next time down the court, Dale has his jersey pulled away from his body by about a foot and no call. A big game like this and you get the C team officials.

You also have to look at the Jacks players for the 2 overtimes. Three of your main players (Griff gets a lot of minutes so I'm gonna include him) are on the bench and aren't able to play. If the Jacks could have gotten one or two of the NDSU players to foul out earlier, maybe the outcome changes. Oh well, time to look forward to this weekend games.
                              Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

color me surprised, but ndsu has got to be in the heads of sdsu basketball. great game basketball wise, back and forth and exciting. the rivalry continues.

Comment

Working...
                                X