Nagy is "back"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nagy is "back"

Ironically two of SDSU greats are being inducted into the SD Sports Hall of Fame. You younguns all know about the Thomas brothers, and included this years inductee class is brother David.

This is one guy that I am old enough to have heard of but never got to seen him play, but he was the real cat's meow in his day so my elders have told me. James Sunny Schmidt.

Here is an excerpt from the hall of fame website:

Jim "Sunny Jim" Schmidt - The Dell Rapids native was an all-North Central Conference basketball player for South Dakota State in 1943, '47 and '48. He led the NCC in scoring in 1947 (18.8 ppg) and ?48 (18.4 ppg). The 6-foot-2 Schmidt was known as the "underhanded shooting wizard" for his abilities in dropping in layups and drawing fouls. He served in the Marine Corps between 1943 and '47 and during that time he started for Northwestern University, where he was temporarily stationed during wartime. He had a tryout with the Minneapolis Lakers. He was named the state's top college athlete (for his basketball skill and pole-vaulting ability) in 1947 in a poll conducted by the Aberdeen American News.

With tongue in cheek, did any of the Thomas brothers or Lee Colburn get to try out with the Minneopolis Lakers? Jim was quite the ball player in his time.

Comment

IIRC the Cowboys looked at Colburn as a tight end possibility.
      An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley
      US actor, author, & humorist (1889 - 1945)

Comment

Lee Colburn was drafted in the '73 draft, Round 4 by the Houston Rockets.

As noted by Walrus, the Cowboys (I had heard more than one football team thought about the possibility of Colburn as a receiver) took a serious look at him as a receiver.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          Lee Colburn was drafted in the '73 draft, Round 4 by the Houston Rockets.

As noted by Walrus, the Cowboys (I had heard more than one football team thought about the possibility of Colburn as a receiver) took a serious look at him as a receiver.
          Learn something every day. I was away overseas, Guam and Japan when he played so never got to watch Lee. I missed something just as I missed watching Jim Sunny Schmidt.

Comment

I believe one of the Thomas boys - John or Dave - had a tryout with the Boston Celtics and made it to the last cut.
            This space for lease.

Comment

Working...
            X