Nagy is "back"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nagy is "back"

There were a number of comments in the Gents GDT thread referencing the fact that the "Old Nagy" is back.

I'll just say it.

Nagy is the same coach that was extremely succesful at D2 level and he has finally getting personnel in place to make a run at success at the next level. He is getting the needed recruits to be a perenniel contender in the Summitt League. And the best part is that he is a quality person that cares about his players.

Transition to D1 is a brutal process for MBB and hats off to Nagy for getting us through it. I'm glad the previous and current AD's have stuck with him. He's been good to SDSU and deserved the opportunity to see things through transition.

It drove me nuts with all the comments the last few years about whether or not Nagy is a D1 caliber coach. He is a solid coach period! As a matter of fact, he has probably learned a lot going throught the last few years. We can finally put that other crap behind us and solidly get behind him and this team.

Nobody has hated the struggles more than he and the coaches. I'm happy for them that things are turning around. Obviously its good for the fans as well.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and all of us have been frustrated. It feels great to be able to say that the future of MBB at SDSU is bright and in the capable hands of Coach Nagy and his staff. That is probably what we all wanted when transition began in 2004.

Good luck the rest of the way!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Re: Nagy is "back"

amen.

Comment

what superbunny said...well done superbunny.

Comment

I'd rep you up SB but it says I gotta spread it around first. Owe you one later...

In an age in which coaches come and go at the drop of a contract; or skedaddle at the one end of town while the NCAA enters the other; or when coaches get so wrapped up in their own myths or ways that they can no longer distinguish between discipline and abuse (Tennessee, USC, and KU and Indiana, respectively) there's a heck of a lot to be said for stability, persistence, and resolve.
        It kinda defines life on the prairie, right?

Comment

Nagy never left. He stuck to his guns and didn't compromise his principals to try and satisfy critics that included alumni and so-called journalists. I'd love to see Stu Whitney or Craig Mattock try and sit down and pick apart what Scott Nagy is about as a man and as a coach. Ask Kai Williams or Garrett Callahan or Austin Hansen or Kurt Meister what they think about the man and you'll get a lot more insight than something in the paper or on the radio.

I really think the tragedy in Haiti, as horrible as it is, like many other similar events allows leaders that aren't necessarily known outside of a certain population to make a difference for others like they have for those closest to them. I'm not sure if that makes any sense. I think Coach Nagy is a great coach and an even better person and I'm glad he has been the one leading through this transition.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            Nagy never left. He stuck to his guns and didn't compromise his principals to try and satisfy critics that included alumni and so-called journalists. I'd love to see Stu Whitney or Craig Mattock try and sit down and pick apart what Scott Nagy is about as a man and as a coach. Ask Kai Williams or Garrett Callahan or Austin Hansen or Kurt Meister what they think about the man and you'll get a lot more insight than something in the paper or on the radio.

I really think the tragedy in Haiti, as horrible as it is, like many other similar events allows leaders that aren't necessarily known outside of a certain population to make a difference for others like they have for those closest to them. I'm not sure if that makes any sense. I think Coach Nagy is a great coach and an even better person and I'm glad he has been the one leading through this transition.
            Totally agree.

I don't think Nagy 'left' in that he was fundamentally different during transition, but I think that the situations that the team confronted during transition did not, shall we say, showcase his abilities or his character.

This year we've started to see glimpses of what he can do with a team adjusted for the D-1 caliber talent he can recruit (very deep, fundamentally sound, not overly talented, nor overly tall), playing his style of ball. And we've also gotten a glimpse into his character with the situation in Haiti.

The media mavens who want change above all else will probably never understand why Oien & Sell stuck with Nagy. But this season has certainly shown the rest of us why he's still around.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post

The media mavens who want change above all else will probably never understand why Oien & Sell stuck with Nagy. But this season has certainly shown the rest of us why he's still around.

What "media mavens" were calling for his head?

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                What "media mavens" were calling for his head?
                Stu and Mattock especially.

Basically anyone who looked at the standings, MAYBE attended one game a year, and who have confused the ability to criticize with intelligence.

Comment

Scott has been and is the MAN

Comment

Scott Nagy was never gone. I agree with what everyone has contended. I don't recall every detail - but we started this transition on a rather sour note if memory serves. (Mohammed Berte & that incident) We had some pretty talented kids, but not a 'squeeky clean' beginning. That happens in D1 schools. We are not above it, but I believe our coaches do a pretty good job recruiting character kids that resemble our character coaches.

Coach Nagy is a community guy who coaches his kids sports teams, takes his family to church and we've seen what he's done with adoption. My biggest beef with Stu (thank God I don't have the chance/inkling to listen to Mattick any more) was that for the most part he was talking out of his asterisk - and didn't take the time to look into the 'man behind the coach'.

This team will not win the conference - they may contend for the tourney title this year, but I don't have my heart set on it. But I do believe we have the best man for the job calling the shots right now. We are headed in the right direction.

Comment

I'm not sure if the old Nagy is back, or the new Nagy is here.

I think he may have learned more about himself, coaching, recruiting, and running a DI program in the last 5 years than in all his other years of coaching experience. The transition was brutal, and life in DI basketball doesn't get a whole lot easier.

I think the new Nagy has a bunch of new tools in his belt, and he has retained the old ones too. He still has the fire and brimstone when necessary, but also knows when to dial it down to reach and motivate players. Each tactic has its place, and I'm not sure the old Nagy knew when to dial it down.

The last five years of adding new coaches, managing time in a DI world, managing a staff and players when on the road, facing tougher competition almost every night, etc have no doubt changed Nagy the coach. IMO, for the better.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                        I'm not sure if the old Nagy is back, or the new Nagy is here.

I think he may have learned more about himself, coaching, recruiting, and running a DI program in the last 5 years than in all his other years of coaching experience. The transition was brutal, and life in DI basketball doesn't get a whole lot easier.

I think the new Nagy has a bunch of new tools in his belt, and he has retained the old ones too. He still has the fire and brimstone when necessary, but also knows when to dial it down to reach and motivate players. Each tactic has its place, and I'm not sure the old Nagy knew when to dial it down.

The last five years of adding new coaches, managing time in a DI world, managing a staff and players when on the road, facing tougher competition almost every night, etc have no doubt changed Nagy the coach. IMO, for the better.
                        I think this is probably accurate. Nagy's probably a far, far better coach today than he was in 2004. Adversity always pushes people--it pushes some over the edge to fall, and it pushes others towards the sky to fly.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Here is a short piece on Coach Nagy from March of 1997 when SDSU went to the Elite 8. KSFY sports is doing some Sports Classic pieces.

http://www.ksfy.com/sports/sportscast/83222887.html

Comment

It is just amazing what a couple years and some good play will do to a fan base. Just a couple years ago, and to a certain extent even last season, people were calling for Nagy's head and wanted to know why Kai was still playing.
                            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                              Here is a short piece on Coach Nagy from March of 1997 when SDSU went to the Elite 8. KSFY sports is doing some Sports Classic pieces.

http://www.ksfy.com/sports/sportscast/83222887.html
                              Wow lots of water has went under the bridge since then, and Coach has a few more grey ones.

Comment

Working...
                              X