The Frost Arena game environment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Frost Arena game environment

Wonder why people don't add a cowbell to their cell-phone ring tones. Then, during (breaks in) the games, they could switch their ring tones to the game-time ring tone, the cowbell, and start calling each other. We could alternate: first break, south side calls friends on north side and vice versa. Lots of cell phones going off at the same time -- nobody answering -- all using a cowbell ring-tone, would be noticeable.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      Wonder why people don't add a cowbell to their cell-phone ring tones. Then, during (breaks in) the games, they could switch their ring tones to the game-time ring tone, the cowbell, and start calling each other. We could alternate: first break, south side calls friends on north side and vice versa. Lots of cell phones going off at the same time -- nobody answering -- all using a cowbell ring-tone, would be noticeable.
      Now THAT'S funny . . .
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
        There is money to be made here...

1. Create Cowbell Ringtone
        2. ...
        3. Retire Early
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
          There is money to be made here...

1. Create Cowbell Ringtone
          2. ...
          3. Retire Early
          Hello Athletic Department Marketing Dep"t,
          An idea you might want to check into is ...

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
            I like Jeff Kolpeck. But man alive do I get tired of him complaining about Monday WBB games. In fact, I get tired of NDSU affiliated people blaming their poor attendance on Monday games. I don't like that Kolpack went so far as to suggest that playing WBB on an 'inconvenient' night constituted a Title IX issue.
            Actually the issue has been raised by some advocacy groups as a potential violation of Title IX on a national basis. Summit League is often used as an example of the disparity.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
              Actually the issue has been raised by some advocacy groups as a potential violation of Title IX on a national basis. Summit League is often used as an example of the disparity.
              IMO, it's ridiculous. Any other night and you're taking away another day of classroom time (e.g. Tuesday). What do advocacy groups have to say about that?

Let's have our students miss FOUR days of class during the week instead of THREE, in order to boost attendance at their games....

Comment

From what I've heard, the response would be if the men play on Thur-Sat then the women should also, which I believe is what the Summit used to do. So when Cent-ORU men are up here, the women are down there. I think that would greatly reduce the exposure the women's game get, but there are a lot of things I probably would disagree with them on.

Comment

IMO, it's ridiculous. Any other night and you're taking away another day of classroom time (e.g. Tuesday). What do advocacy groups have to say about that?

Let's have our students miss FOUR days of class during the week instead of THREE, in order to boost attendance at their games....
                  Not having actually bothered to look into it, my guess is that they want the women's and men's schedules to either exactly mirror each other, or otherwise be pretty much completely independent of each other.

The silliness and unworkability quotient of both at the Summit League level of Division I are high.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                    Not having actually bothered to look into it, my guess is that they want the women's and men's schedules to either exactly mirror each other, or otherwise be pretty much completely independent of each other.
                    Because a Thursday night game would draw soooooo much better than a Monday night game, right?

Blaming the night of the week the games are played on is like blaming the weather man for bad weather.

--

And I'll go out on a limb and say that SDSU's 'basketball' season ticket policy is probably the most gender neutral approach to the question of WBB attendance out there. You're just buying -basketball- tickets. For the few schools out there that have big time women's programs (Texas Tech, Baylor, UConn, Tennessee), you can sell separate WBB season tickets, but including the women's games in the purchase price effectively encourages attendance at those games (you're paying for the ticket, so why not go?) and makes doubleheaders possible.

Comment

Because a Thursday night game would draw soooooo much better than a Monday night game, right?

Blaming the night of the week the games are played on is like blaming the weather man for bad weather.

--

And I'll go out on a limb and say that SDSU's 'basketball' season ticket policy is probably the most gender neutral approach to the question of WBB attendance out there. You're just buying -basketball- tickets. For the few schools out there that have big time women's programs (Texas Tech, Baylor, UConn, Tennessee), you can sell separate WBB season tickets, but including the women's games in the purchase price effectively encourages attendance at those games (you're paying for the ticket, so why not go?) and makes doubleheaders possible.
                      I blame the weather on Jay Trobecs hair.....and Canada. Not nessicarily is that order.
                      Last edited by goon; 02-01-2010, 03:48 PM. Reason: edit
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

--

No argument from me.

Comment

There aren't a lot of other scheduling options are there? It isn't like all the schools in the conference are close together. They need the time to travel. If, if, travel partners could be close together then maybe you could see a different schedule. They aren't now so its moot.

Back to Frost Arena, I love the cowbell ringtone idea. We must have lost the ability to use the "Cowbell" skit from SNL. I thought that was cool. Wouldn't be the same if you couldn't ring the bells.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Re: the cowbell, I think we should resurrect the Rooter King . . . get a big-ass, six-foot-tall cowbell on a trailer, and roll that puppy out before games (say, right after the National Anthem) for a bit of a show/ceremony/remembrance of what the song "Ring The Bells" is all about.

At the end of the ceremony, some of the cheerleaders could take big ol' rubber mallets and whack the thing (with the proper rhythm, please--a spritely 1-2-3-4, not a dirge-like 1 . . . . . . 2 . . . . . . 3 . . . . . 4 that they seem to prefer nowadays) to start State Cadence or something, and then kick into "Ring The Bells" as the Jacks enter the arena.

It could work. You could even do it for football games, too . . . something to prime the crowd for the entrance of the Jacks onto the field from the Dykhouse Center . . .
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Great idea, maybe the new regime will consider it. The old one would not. I suggested a similar idea a few years back and was told it was not possible. Cannot remember why exactly, but I think they felt it was too "old school". In their defense, they had just installed the new message centers and scoreboards and I think the focus was maximizing their capabilities.
                              We...ARE...STATE!
                              SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

The weather this winter is not helping the crowds at all. Once again freezing rain, followed by snow today. I went for the IPFW game two weeks ago when it was the freezing fog on the road, still hoping to make it tonight.

It just makes a lot of people think twice about coming to games from out of town. Though maybe it should bring up the Brookings and on-campus attendance.

Comment

Working...
                                X