X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Frost Arena game environment

This article was in today's KC Star:

Kansas State fans delight in the 'Octagon of Doom'

Until the current run of success for the Wildcat basketball team, Bramlage Coliseum on the K-State campus did not have a reputation as a particularly imposing place for opponents to come in to play.

From the article:
    (K-State AD John Currie said) “We’ve got a bunch of our students sitting on the side of the court, cheering their butts off. They’ve got great seats there and they deserve them because they work their butts off to support our team.”

. . .

“I don’t know if a lot of arenas sell out like Bramlage do,” (K-State player Jacob) Pullen said. “I don’t know if a lot of arenas pack it in like Bramlage do. Plus, to have that sixth man is a real advantage. They get mad not on one side of the court, they get loud not on one side of the court, but right in the middle. You can’t get away from them.”

Just goes to show what a few thousand energized students can do for a venue's reputation.

I made the comment in another thread that Frost could easily be made an utter snakepit by the students on campus, absolutely hated by all incoming opponents--all they'd need to do is show up for games and get a bit loud and crazy. The students are as close or closer to the action in Frost than they are almost anywhere else (even being behind the benches and the scorer's table).
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: The Frost Arena game environment

I completely agree. I think that a huge key to this happening is having two successful basketball teams. I hate to always call back to my college days, but I can remember games against NDSU, USD, and Augie that a person couldn't hear their buddy right next to them.

The NCC conference championships come to mind as shaking the rafters in Frost.

Part of the problem is that SDSU tends to be a very big "suitcase campus" where kids tend to leave for home on the weekend.
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Message to college students. You WILL have a much better (and more fun) college experience if you stay in Brookings on the weekends rather than heading back to your high school boyfriend/girlfriend. Speaking from a male perspective a single college girl who has had too much to drink is always better than a steady girlfriend. One of my best memories of college was packing up the bag at the end of August and telling my parents "See you at Thanksgiving." Stay in Brookings (support the Rabbits). I guarantee you won't regret it!

Comment

Any one got a guess on how many the student section seats? If the upper deck becomes reserved seating, I doubt there would be room for a couple thousand students.

Comment

I think the lower bleachers seat around 500--probably somewhat less.

(I also think that the end reserved seats are a mistake . . . and they need to go back to being student/GA bleachers on the lower ends, when the upper south side goes to reserved chairbacks, IMHO.)

(I'd also move the pep band to the east end, next to the visitor's bench. Oakland has theirs there, and it's darn annoying, let me tell you . . .)
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by pepbandalum View Post
            Any one got a guess on how many the student section seats? If the upper deck becomes reserved seating, I doubt there would be room for a couple thousand students.
            I was told by Christi Williams a couple years ago capacity in the student section holds just shy of 800. Those seats fill up decently over Christmas break with small and large families.

Comment

I think that this configuration isn't that bad. Granted, I may be a little biased since I am rooting for the Blue Devils when the Jacks aren't playing.

Fun fact: Cameron seats about 9300. And didn't have air conditining until 2001-2002. Also, there are about 1200 student seats.

I was there for a preseason game and it is an experience I will never forget.

Comment

Frost is already a tough venue. Ask anyone in the Summit.

Could it be tougher? Sure. But don't underestimate what's currently there.

Comment

Speaking of students, are there that many that post here on SDSUfans.com?

It seems like mostly alumni that post. I hope when NDSU comes to town are student body will come out in full force and hound the NDSU players like their fans did to our players.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                    Frost is already a tough venue. Ask anyone in the Summit.

Could it be tougher? Sure. But don't underestimate what's currently there.
                    I dont think anyone would argue that Frost can be a tough place to play. IMO, I think that what alot are saying that that it isn't as consistant as many would like. The crowd ebbs and flows with the opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                      I dont think anyone would argue that Frost can be a tough place to play. IMO, I think that what alot are saying that that it isn't as consistant as many would like. The crowd ebbs and flows with the opponent.

Come up with a name and they'll come, like Cameron Crazies.

Frost Fanatics?

Frost Biters?

Frosty Flakes?

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                        Come up with a name and they'll come, like Cameron Crazies.

Frost Fanatics?

Frost Biters?

Frosty Flakes?

Rabid Rabbits?

Bezerk Bunnines?

Wyld Hares?

This all plays back into the game being an even regardless of the opponent.

Comment

Do they still do the "cheer sheets" for students before games? I remember seeing these a few years ago, and think its a great idea.
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

No cheer sheets. They cut that from the budget. They were called "Rabbit Den Readers." We are trying. Out of 1,500 student tickets orginally reserved there are only around 600 remaining. We are working at getting them out and getting students that want to cheer and not just socialize at the game.
                            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                              No cheer sheets. They cut that from the budget. They were called "Rabbit Den Readers." We are trying. Out of 1,500 student tickets orginally reserved there are only around 600 remaining. We are working at getting them out and getting students that want to cheer and not just socialize at the game.
                              They should have a "rally" at Cubbys before the games. Then get the BATA busses to haul them all to the game. Then there would be tons of rowdy fans. On second thought, maybe not...

Comment

Working...
                              X