Missouri-Kansas City Kangaroos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Missouri-Kansas City Kangaroos

I thought the guys played very hard last night. The threat of a three opened things up inside. It's amazing what Eric Hein is doing right now. You can see the looks on the coaches faces that they are amazed as well. You have to give the kid credit as he has taken advantage of the opportunity presented to him and is playing well on both sides of the ball. I like Gilbert coming off the bench but he made several stupid unecessary plays ie. pass behind the back and forcing the ball into the defense when looking for a better shot or more open man would have been better. I think the coaches are frustrated with some of the things Gilbert is doing on the court but also understand he is the most athletic player on the team and to reign this young player in too much might be detrimentally as well and we don't have many other options. I think with maturity he will understand how to play the game within the confines of a team and still display his athleticism. This was a very physical game and clearly both teams were going to be sore today. We got the Roos big guy #54 Spears in early foul trouble and he was frustrated all night. He threw down a thunderous dunk in the second half, but that was about it. Jamar Day is a faboulous player everthing he does is fast yet controlled. Small but loud and vocal crowd. Student section is again dissapointing with the size of the crowd but those who were there were very into the game. I know its finals week and the holidays are approaching but can't understand why more students and area fans don't get out to see an improving Jacks team and some great visiting talent. Will be interesting how many show up this weekend for the women and in Sioux Falls next week. The season will be over before we know it. Good win over a Mid-Cont opponent. I think shortening up the bench has sent a message to Frias and Casey and they will have to earn there way back on the court.

Comment

I too was a little dissappointed in Gilbert's play.  It seemed he wanted to be flashy in everything he did.  He tried the behind the back pass, didn't work.  He tried dribbling through 3 people with a behind the back pass, didn't work.  To help the team this year, he needs to play smart, fundamental basketball.  

On another note, maybe it was said, but is there any update on Cadwell?  I thought Nagy said something about how he didn't know where he was at or something -- Does this sound right, or did I misinterpret that? I saw when he got called for a foul on defense later in the game, and he got up and was walking around, and Beran got the coaches to take him out of the game - must have been out of it.

Good overall game for the Jacks!

Comment

The radio broadcast obviously didn't paint Gilbert playing as bad as he had in the past. However, the dribble through 3 guys sounds all to familiar. I hope he starts seeing the big picture.
        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I think Gilbert is still mentally adjusting to the fact that he's not head-and-shoulders the fastest/most athletic guy on the court any more like he was in high school.

There are lots of Andre Gilberts playing D-I basketball. The difference between average and extraordinary players is in how they apply their athletic abilities on the court. Flashy and in control will beat flashy and out of control almost every time.

I'm really looking forward to watching Gilbert as a junior and as a senior. He's got the potential to be really, really good if he can adjust to the D-I game. But for now, he's still learning.

Cadwell definitely got his bell rung. Nagy said he had a concussion in practice last year and was worried about how he'd do in his semester final exams this week.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Cadwell had that disoriented where am I look on his face that is common with a concussion. The finally took him into the locker room as he clearly didn't have a clue as to where or who he was.

Comment

Yeah, Cadwell got bonked on the head underneath our basket, no foul called and then he commited the foul on the other end. Thats when Ben knew something was wrong with him.

Someone asked if the pep band was coming to SF...my understanding is that they are not. I guess there are a few games they wont be doing. This is one I think they should be at though.

I mean we are show-casing the team on the road...the whole show should be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitden
                Yeah, Cadwell got bonked on the head underneath our basket, no foul called and then he commited the foul on the other end.  Thats when Ben knew something was wrong with him.

Someone asked if the pep band was coming to SF...my understanding is that they are not.  I guess there are a few games they wont be doing.  This is one I think they should be at though.  

I mean we are show-casing the team on the road...the whole show should be there.
                I agree 100%!  We need to showcase this game bigtime.  The pep band in the Arena would be awesome.  There won't be much of an atmosphere without them.  What gives?

We need to contact someone to get the pep band to Sioux Falls.  With a two game win streak, we have a huge chance to reach out to a lot of Sioux Falls folk (me being one of them).

Comment

I may have been bonked on the head, but I swore I saw something advertising the Sioux Falls game that indicated the Pep Band would be there.

Comment

Not sure where the other post went, but the Pep Band is paid by the Athletic Dept.

However they are students and it is Christmas break I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. I remember home games over the break without a pep band.

Comment

Our friend Mike H on KWSN seem to be more caught up in our low attendence last night rather than the result of the game. He also commented that a friend of his e-mailed him that Kleinjan's shot on Saturday night against Denver was well after the buzzer and should have been no good. He seems to revel in taking subtle digs at SDSU. How about taking a shot at USD for losing to NAIA team?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99
                        Not sure where the other post went, but the Pep Band is paid by the Athletic Dept.  

However they are students and it is Christmas break I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.  I remember home games over the break without a pep band.
                        Ah, you are correct sir. I totally forgot that a friend of mine in pep band said that they won't play it because it was over Christmas break.

I am royally bummed.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
                          Our friend Mike H on KWSN seem to be more caught up in our low attendence last night rather than the result of the game. He also commented that a friend of his e-mailed him that Kleinjan's shot on Saturday night against Denver was well after the buzzer and should have been no good. He seems to revel in taking subtle digs at SDSU. How about taking a shot at USD for losing to NAIA team?
                          Where is Mike? He has not been on for a while and apparently does not feel it necessary any longer to defend his comments. Oh well.

I got home after the game and caught the KDLT clip of the game. Overden seems to want to work his digs in by making a comment "Come on Scotty smile" meaning he was kind of poking at Coach Nagy for his usual poker face. Apparently Overden thought Nagy should be all smiles with the second win. Like it was more Christmas presents than what Coach Nagy or SDSU deserved.

Other than a beat writer Chris Solari, at the Argus, I still think amongst the Sioux Falls media, we have a bunch of skeptics and failure wishers for SDSU in their move to D1.

I agree with most of the comments about Andre Gilbert espeically MJA stating that Gilbert is the most talented. I think once he starts to figure out where he can be effective, we will see some great preformances. The Kid is still not legal for alchohol so I think he deserves some slack. I think too he is trying too hard to impress people and often its back firing.

Comment

When the team was playing a slower, passing game, they played well without the turnovers.  When we started to try running, we came into the turnovers (I'll use the behind the back pass as the best example).  The one thing about Andre is he was willing to pass up a easy shot to try to get a teammate an even closer shot.  I will always say that Andre is a very team player.  

I really hate the idea of next weeks game.  I like the idea of trying to get SF people interested in D1 BB but do it on a Friday or Saturday night.  I know this next weekend wouldn't have worked with the holidays, but schedule during a time when more people from the Brookings area can make it.  

I forgot about Matt. That elbow to the jaw he took was really bad. I know he got clobbered in the lane shortly after that. After he got up off the floor, Ben made the jesture that Matt was out of it and confused. Matt wanted to stay in the game but he just didn't know where he was.
                            Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

I'm sure they had their reasons for the game in SF next week being when it is, but I'm also bummed that I might not be able to make it because of work.

Comment

Good job Guys!!! Keep playing hard and the wins will come. I think at this point you are showing you can make some noise in D-I. e hard work.

Comment

Working...
                                X