Missouri-Kansas City Kangaroos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Missouri-Kansas City Kangaroos

With all of these talented young guys... We're learning how to win!!
    Good job JACKS!!!

Comment

Called away so I missed the 2nd half. Nice win for the Jacks. As Nagy said, must not have been pretty.

Outrebounded them by 15 and had 18 second chance points. Did more than enourh to win and that is what matters.

Nice win, 2 in a row, gotta start somewhere.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

The game was pretty good. At times we had trouble, but the turnovers were way down and we looked sharper. The 3 pointers early helped out too. We started this game the same way we finished the Denver game. Hopefully, this momentum will swing with us when we go down to Sioux Falls on the 20th.

Comment

Heien and Cadwell shot the ball really well in the first part of the game. We CRUSHED them on the boards. Their guards are very good. They had a freshman (number 3) just as hot from 3 land as our guards. Day is a quick lil' bugger (didn't check to see what his height was). Glad he didn't get going. That was a very physical game. Cadwell got elbowed pretty had in the second half while on defense and nothing was called (right in front of a ref). They would let some of the rough play go but both teams had some really touchy fouls called. Nice win for the Jacks. Oh yeah, free throw shooting was bad again.
          Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Sorry, but got to bring this up...so we've just beaten Denver (a lot of luck I will admit) and now University of Missouri-Kansas City -- and this is the team that any of our good DII teams would have beaten by 30 points (or was it later 15-20)? No names, but I seem to remember reading that on an earlier post some days ago.
            OK -- go that off my chest, but want to make a couple of other comments...we should be happy with the progress of the Jacks who needed a win badly and got two. But we need (throughout the season) to not get too optimistic or pessimistic IMO. This is a work in progress.

I think we're doing great and that Nagy's work is showing through (I don't know how anybody who has been watching Nagy's coaching through the years could doubt that he is as good as they come) as he deals with no Holdren and is doing a good job of getting everything he can out of the players he has to work with. Way to go Coaches! Way to GO JACKS!

Comment

Oops gotta add one more late post...in honor of the season I apologize for the jab re: current Jacks team and former Jacks teams. At the time it made me awfully mad because I do kind of hate the negative stuff that runs around. Its' fine to express one's opinion, but this is a new level for us and a lot of new kids and I think we have to tread a little more lightly. When we've been able to get fully up to speed in a few years, I would accept the posts holding the team more accountable.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks#1fan
                Oops gotta add one more late post...in honor of the season I apologize for the jab re: current Jacks team and former Jacks teams. At the time it made me awfully mad because I do kind of hate the negative stuff that runs around. Its' fine to express one's opinion, but this is a new level for us and a lot of new kids and I think we have to tread a little more lightly. When we've been able to get fully up to speed in a few years, I would accept the posts holding the team more accountable.
                I think some of my posts get misinterpreted as being overly critical of the team. Mostly, I'm critical of the expectations. This is a young team in relatively uncharted waters. Nagy is essentially learning the DI game along with them.

When I hear speculation about competing with successful mid-major and higher DI teams I think the expectations exceed the current potential of this team. A 10 win season should be viewed as acceptable. To think of the NIT at this point seems foolish to me.

I think each and every game will be relatively close for the Jacks this year with the only larger margins of victory likely not in the Jacks favor. Thats just my take.

Great win tonight and I will consider every win this year a big one.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert

Good game for the Rabbits.  It'll be interesting to hear Nagy's comments.  Also the game is on tape delay here in Kansas City after Monday Night Football on 810 WHB, if you want to stay up reeeeaaaaaalllll late . . .

http://www.810whb.com/
                  I listened to the first few min. of the Broadcast. There announcer, Danny Clinkscale, was very impressed with Frost Arena and said so many times. He called Frost "beautiful" on more then one occasion, and went on about the new scoreboards. If any of you knew Danny you would know how impressed he really was as he tends to down play everything in sports. He did a nice job of calling the game except he thought Eric's name was Helen rather then Heien.

Go State! ;D

Comment

A nice solid win last night. We need to take care of our home court and that we did last night. To me that shows improvement. With an easier January schedule the near future appears brighter.
                    Most college basketball teams play a 9 man rotation. Some now play a 10 man rotation. Last night we played a 7 man rotation. Which begs the question "What is happening with Frias and Casey." Someone said that Frias is a turnover waiting to happen. I have seen several games now and have not seen much production out of either. Maybe I have missed the games where they were effective. Has their playing time (minutes) dropped as the season has progressed?
                    What is the future for this pair of Jackrabbits? Who can give some insight as to the thought process when they were recruited?
                    Go State!!

Comment

Here are highlights from the Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...15/1002/SPORTS

SDSU men claim 2nd straight victory

Jacks open up 11-point halftime lead, hold on against Missouri-Kansas City

BROOKINGS - South Dakota State opened an 11-point halftime lead, then fought off Missouri-Kansas City in the second half as the Jackrabbits posted a 72-65 men's basketball victory over the Kangaroos on Monday at Frost Arena.

It was the Jacks' second straight victory and improved the team to 3-7. UMKC, from the Mid-Continent Conference - a league that SDSU might like to join some day - dropped to 3-4.

SDSU fell behind 7-0 before Eric Heien sparked a 13-0 Jackrabbit run by hitting a pair of 3-pointers.

Heien, a 6-0 junior who hails from Gettysburg, was a key guy all night long. He finished with 18 points, a team high and the third straight game he had a career scoring high.

SDSU was dominant in the first half. En route to its 39-28 halftime lead, the Jacks shot 50 percent from the field, 13 of 26, hit 6 of 10 3-pointers, were 7-for-10 at the foul line, and had a 21-11 rebounding advantage. . . .

SDSU shot just 37.5 percent from the field in the second half to finish the game at 44 percent, still a season high. UMKC shot 39.3 percent.

The Jacks won the rebounding battle, 42-27.

SDSU is off until facing Manhattan at the Sioux Falls Arena on Dec. 20.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit

I listened to the first few min. of the Broadcast.  There announcer, Danny Clinkscale, was very impressed with Frost Arena and said so many times.  He called Frost "beautiful" on more then one occasion, and went on about the new scoreboards.  If any of you knew Danny you would know how impressed he really was as he tends to down play everything in sports.  He did a nice job of calling the game except he thought Eric's name was Helen rather then Heien.

Go State!  ;D
                        When I worked Northern Missouri, I listened to WHB 810 a great deal going down i-29 and US 36 and elsewhere. The name Danny CLinkscales became familar to me. I had not idea that he was doing the game. All his comments can only be positive, and hopefully all the Presidents of the Mid Continent Conference heard the score. In prospects for a confernce, the light had to have gotten brighter last night with the win. Think about what the opposite preception would be if the Kangaroos came in and blew us out of the water.

PS Danny needs a new pair glasses... Helen????????? Now thats funny.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks#1fan
                          Sorry, but got to bring this up...so we've just beaten Denver (a lot of luck I will admit) and now University of Missouri-Kansas City -- and this is the team that any of our good DII teams would have beaten by 30 points (or was it later 15-20)? No names, but I seem to remember reading that on an earlier post some days ago.
                          OK -- go that off my chest, but want to make a couple of other comments...we should be happy with the progress of the Jacks who needed a win badly and got two. But we need (throughout the season) to not get too optimistic or pessimistic IMO. This is a work in progress.

I think we're doing great and that Nagy's work is showing through (I don't know how anybody who has been watching Nagy's coaching through the years could doubt that he is as good as they come) as he deals with no Holdren and is doing a good job of getting everything he can out of the players he has to work with. Way to go Coaches! Way to GO JACKS!
                          That was me. I'm not going to completely backpedal on this one. Unfortunately for me, the only game I've been able to witness firsthand this year is the UWM game, and that mostly drove my opinion. I will backpedal enough to say that our good DII teams would make a great matchup with our current team, but not by 10 points. Althought I do think our DII team could have beaten the team that showed up for the Marquette and UWM games......it's all relative I guess.

I do believe that this young team has a brighter outlook than some of our DII teams had at this age.

Anyways, I hope I explained myself. The train driven by Uncle Mo' is picking up steam, and headed down I-29 to Sioux Falls. Does anyone know if they are bringing the pep band down?

Comment

One more comment.  Did anyone notice in the postgame interview that Nagy said he was more concerned about Cadwell being ready to "do what he has to do" during the next week (finals week) than being ready to play against Manhattan?

Kudos to Coach Nagy for truly caring about his student-athletes and their academic well being.  Some other coaches in the NCAA could definitely learn from him.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867
                              One more comment. Did anyone notice in the postgame interview that Nagy said he was more concerned about Cadwell being ready to "do what he has to do" during the next week (finals week) than being ready to play against Manhattan?

Kudos to Coach Nagy for truly caring about his student-athletes and their academic well being. Some other coaches in the NCAA could definitely learn from him.
                              Yeah, I caught that. Nice to know that the priorities are still straight in SDSU's flagship athletic program. I second the kudos.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Here's what I love about Nagy. He goes out and recruits people to shore up the guard play that was so poor last year. The first couple of games this season our guard play looked terrible. Instead of throwing up his hands and just continue to watch turnover after turnover, he gives a guy like Heien a shot to prove what he can do. A guy that he didn't recruit and isn't getting any money. He just wants to win and is always working to find the best ingredients to have a winning team. Nice little stretch of games for the Jacks. Sounds like Gilbert is finally starting to play within the system. I still say he has the highest potential on our team. Let's build on these wins and keep it rolling.
                                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                                X