Brand Name Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brand Name Games

DI men's college basketball scheduling is one of the most fluid and frustrating experiences out there. MVC schools are going to be mighty picky about when and where they play non-home games. the MVC is really a top 9-12 league if not better. it is a legitimate multi-bid league and needs to protect that status by controlling scheduling.

SDSU is still at the same level as the Oaklands (we wish) and the Ark Pine Bluffs of the world. Home non-conference games are going to be gifts from mid-majors and/or an anomaly by a high-major. it won't happen at Frost, and unless an amazing set of unique circumstances were to fall into place, it probably won't happen in SF. (Save the next Mike Miller pops up and Kansas or Florida agree to come to SF to play someone during his junior year to show just how important he is! Just hope they don't call Boots first) Get used to the Utah Valleys and the Texas Pan-Am's of the world on a consisitent basis and the Wyomings of the world on an every third year basis.

UNI did it once, and they may well do it again, but don't count on it happening on a regular basis. Fans need to get used to going on the road to play quality opponents and need to get used to having directional schools as consistent non-conference home opponents.

Welcome to the reality of being in a One Bid League. What sounds ideal and practical to us, is not the real world in scheduling.

Comment

Originally posted by hoops_guy View Post
      DI men's college basketball scheduling is one of the most fluid and frustrating experiences out there. MVC schools are going to be mighty picky about when and where they play non-home games. the MVC is really a top 9-12 league if not better. it is a legitimate multi-bid league and needs to protect that status by controlling scheduling.

SDSU is still at the same level as the Oaklands (we wish) and the Ark Pine Bluffs of the world. Home non-conference games are going to be gifts from mid-majors and/or an anomaly by a high-major. it won't happen at Frost, and unless an amazing set of unique circumstances were to fall into place, it probably won't happen in SF. (Save the next Mike Miller pops up and Kansas or Florida agree to come to SF to play someone during his junior year to show just how important he is! Just hope they don't call Boots first) Get used to the Utah Valleys and the Texas Pan-Am's of the world on a consisitent basis and the Wyomings of the world on an every third year basis.

UNI did it once, and they may well do it again, but don't count on it happening on a regular basis. Fans need to get used to going on the road to play quality opponents and need to get used to having directional schools as consistent non-conference home opponents.

Welcome to the reality of being in a One Bid League. What sounds ideal and practical to us, is not the real world in scheduling.
      So you have told me something I did not previously know? I would not want to go back to D2 just to fill Frost. I am proud of our programs to date. SDSU has played by the rules and maybe we are less than glamorous, but we the results are not tainted and winning is not everything.

Comment

I don't think hoops_guy was indicating that the move to D1 was a mistake, more that it is going to take commitment by all the Summit League schools and TIME to change the ranking of the league and therefore the quality of the teams that come to Frost.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
          I don't think hoops_guy was indicating that the move to D1 was a mistake, more that it is going to take commitment by all the Summit League schools and TIME to change the ranking of the league and therefore the quality of the teams that come to Frost.
          My bad, Hoops. Thanks to first row, I get were you are coming from. I recall Dr Oien expressing publically and privately that he preferred the Big Sky to the Summit League, but of course that was early on and before the BSC turned us down as a member.

I suppose the weakness of the Summit is the commuter schools ie Oakland, IPUIPI and Fort Wayne. As soon as SDSU can prove themselves better and move on to another conference that better it will be for scheduling and until that happens, Hoops is correct in his observations.

Comment

Originally posted by hoops_guy View Post
            it is a legitimate multi-bid league
            not lately. Not since the NCAA cracked down on them for RPI rigging.

Comment

Working...
            X