Southwest Minnesota State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southwest Minnesota State

I was just on gojacks.com and they don't have this game on the schedule. I'm sure the game is Dec 8th(or something). That got me trying to remember past schedules. SDSU hasn't played at non-DI team in a game other than an exhibition, have they? SDSU's team is getting better and the schedule is getting easier(my opinion).
    I actually went over to bisonville.com to see what's going on there and they are talking about playing 2 non-DI games. I think their team will still be good but not as good as last year. They've always played 2 games like that. I think I'd complain more when I had four 5th year seniors than a unknown team. I don't know if they complained about this when Woodside, Winkelman and crew were there or not.
    Just wondering what people here think about non-DI games. Does it make a difference how good your team is or not.

Re: Southwest Minnesota State

SWMU was an exhibitiion last year and we did play two non counters Mayville and Upper Iowa, last year. My understanding that SMSU this year was to be a regular game. This thread will get Klompe44 or whatever his handle is going.

Comment

Good topic 91Jack. I went over to bisonville.com after reading your post to see what they are saying about their schedule. Good reading. I have to say that I think we are a D1 team and that if we play any D2 schools that it should be one of our two exhibition games. I am not in favor of playing a D2 school for a regular season game.

Comment

Its wierd that SMSU is not on the schedule, but according to the press release from SMSU, the game is to be played on December 8th.

Some one else has already posted this link, but there it is again.

http://smsumustangs.com/documents/20...ce.pdf?id=2046

I am not up on the NCAA rules, but I believe you can have two non-counter games and still be playoff eligible. Others seem to take advantage of this rule so I dont have a problem that SDSU does schedule 2 non counters. If its between say Drake and SMSU who can be scheduled, then thats an easy choice, but I dont think we are quite their yet to have those kind of choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          If its between say Drake and SMSU who can be scheduled, then thats an easy choice, but I dont think we are quite their yet to have those kind of choices.
          Yes, we are there...we are a D1 team. I know scheduling can be tough (finding teams that match dates, etc), but we could find another D1 team to play.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
            Yes, we are there...we are a D1 team. I know scheduling can be tough (finding teams that match dates, etc), but we could find another D1 team to play.
            Who?

Comment

Who? There are hundreds of ncaa division 1 teams. I'm sure one would be available to compete against our beloved jacks.

Comment

IMO if it's a non-counter it's an exhibition game. Neither the win nor the loss matters making it by nature, if not by definition, an exhibition game.

Comment

Sorry I don't have proof for you as to which teams are available. My point was that with a few hundred D1 teams that the chances we could have scheduled one of them have to be decent.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
                    Sorry Nidaros I don't have proof for you as to which teams are available. My point was that with a few hundred D1 teams that the chances we could have scheduled one of them have to be decent.
                    I think SWMU is a choice of Nagy since you are allowed to have the two non counters and SWMU made the Elite Eight last year. I believe they got most of the people back. Add to that Marshall being 40 miles away from Brookings which will bring some fans. So in my mind SWMU is a more worthy opponent than lets say Savanah State or New Jersey Tech, both who are D1 in name only. There are few more D1 stinkers you could add to that list.

Comment

I really could care less if we played a D2 team across the street from SDSU. And it doesn't matter how good the D2 team is. We made the move to D1, now let's walk the walk.

Nidaros we'll have to agree to disagree on this one I think.

Comment

Hi guys!!

I too would rather see just Div I teams, but there are budget and scheduling issues in getting games. I can live with this. Have a GREAT summer. GO JACKS!!

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                          IMO if it's a non-counter it's an exhibition game. Neither the win nor the loss matters making it by nature, if not by definition, an exhibition game.
                          Doesn't a non-counter game get added to our win-loss column for the year? If so, then there is a big difference between an exhibition and a non-counter game. I thought non-counter games were part of the regular season schedule but the NCAA allows us, and other D1 teams, to play two games that aren't D1 opponents and still count them towards our schedule. Is this not right?

We are a D1 team and should only be playing D1 teams. If we are playing non-counters, we should play a non-counter who is transitioning to D1. Just my opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

Also, SWSU lost a couple of their better players - Ryan Krome and Ross Demassi - who are out of eligibility. SWSU will be good but down this year.

Comment

Originally posted by rcjacks View Post
                            Doesn't a non-counter game get added to our win-loss column for the year? If so, then there is a big difference between an exhibition and a non-counter game. I thought non-counter games were part of the regular season schedule but the NCAA allows us, and other D1 teams, to play two games that aren't D1 opponents and still count them towards our schedule. Is this not right?

We are a D1 team and should only be playing D1 teams. If we are playing non-counters, we should play a non-counter who is transitioning to D1. Just my opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

Also, SWSU lost a couple of their better players - Ryan Krome and Ross Demassi - who are out of eligibility. SWSU will be good but down this year.
                            Yes it counts in the win-loss column. BTW, Mayville State is also on the schedule, Nov. 13 i believe.

As a season ticket holder, i'm not thrilled with these games either. With that said , i can only imagine what a nightmare it is putting together a schedule and trying to bring in quality teams into Brookings. I'm gonna assume the staff did the best they could.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                              Yes it counts in the win-loss column.
                              Not in RPI, not with Sagarin, not on ESPN nor any other major media outlet (IIRC).

Comment

Working...
                              X