This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2009-10 Schedule

The Paradise Jam, I believe, is one of those tourneys where you can play 3 games but it will only count for two on your non-conference schedule (something about these tournies played outside of the continental US). With Tennessee, Boston College, Purdue, UNI, DePaul, Saint Joes and E. Carolina, we'll be lucky to go 1-2 in this thing.

So there is 2 games that count toward the what, 13 non-conference games you get?

Cal-Poly at Frost is another.

I'm sure at Minnesota is another.

So that leaves 9 non-conference games left to schedule?

Last years non-conference road games were VCU, Drake, Denver, ISU and UNI. I could see everyone being a home-and-home save for VCU, ISU and UNI. We also played at home against Upper Iowa, Mayville St, Cal-Bakersfield and San Jose St. We're not going to Mayville or Upper Iowa and I hope we're not going to Bakerfield or San Jose, unless we schedule them both on the same trip.

If Drake and Denver come to Frost and we do make the two game trip to Cal, that still leaves 5 games. I would schedule a non- D1 local school again for a tune up, a power D1 team from Big 10, Big 12 or Missouri Valley and then the last three against local like opponents like Wyoming, Montana, Mont St, Utah Valley, Chicago St, N Dakota, Wisc-Milwaukee, etc....

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
      The Paradise Jam, I believe, is one of those tourneys where you can play 3 games but it will only count for two on your non-conference schedule (something about these tournies played outside of the continental US). With Tennessee, Boston College, Purdue, UNI, DePaul, Saint Joes and E. Carolina, we'll be lucky to go 1-2 in this thing.

So there is 2 games that count toward the what, 13 non-conference games you get?

Cal-Poly at Frost is another.

I'm sure at Minnesota is another.

So that leaves 9 non-conference games left to schedule?

Last years non-conference road games were VCU, Drake, Denver, ISU and UNI. I could see everyone being a home-and-home save for VCU, ISU and UNI. We also played at home against Upper Iowa, Mayville St, Cal-Bakersfield and San Jose St. We're not going to Mayville or Upper Iowa and I hope we're not going to Bakerfield or San Jose, unless we schedule them both on the same trip.

If Drake and Denver come to Frost and we do make the two game trip to Cal, that still leaves 5 games. I would schedule a non- D1 local school again for a tune up, a power D1 team from Big 10, Big 12 or Missouri Valley and then the last three against local like opponents like Wyoming, Montana, Mont St, Utah Valley, Chicago St, N Dakota, Wisc-Milwaukee, etc....
      Drake was part of the Cancuun challenge.... Unless we get a new deal with them (which is possible) I don't see them coming to Frost...

Wyoming I have no clue on, I remember Terry talking about a home and home but games played at nuetral cits (Casper and either RC or SF)

Denver I'd be willing to bet that we play them again.... Maybe we play a Southland team or two... don't know what else....

Comment

A team can play 29 games and no multiteam events or 27 games plus one multi-team event during the regular season. There are several exceptions to the rule which I think includes the bracket buster games. Here is a portion of the rule from the NCAA handbook. With 18 conference games, that leaves one multiteam event and 9 other nonconference games by my count.

17.5.5 N umber of Contests.
        17.5.5.1 Maximum Limitations—Institutional. A member institution shall limit its total regular-season
        playing schedule with outside competition in basketball during the playing season to one of the following (except
        for those contests excluded under Bylaw 17.5.5.3; or (Revised: 4/27/06 effective 8/1/06; contracts signed before
        1/8/06 for events scheduled to occur prior to the second Friday in November may be honored)
        (a) 27 contests (games or scrimmages) and one qualifying regular-season multiple team event per Bylaw
        17.5.5.1.1; or
        (b) 29 contests (games or scrimmages) during a playing season in which the institution does not participate
        in a qualifying regular-season multiple team event.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
          Drake was part of the Cancuun challenge.... Unless we get a new deal with them (which is possible) I don't see them coming to Frost...
          We played Drake in Des Moines. Nothing to do with the Cancun Challenge. We played Central Florida and Central Arkansas in Cancun.
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
            We played Drake in Des Moines. Nothing to do with the Cancun Challenge. We played Central Florida and Central Arkansas in Cancun.
            incorrect. first two of the four Cancun Challenge games were at campus sites--for SDSU those were VCU and Drake.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
              incorrect. first two of the four Cancun Challenge games were at campus sites--for SDSU those were VCU and Drake.
              My bad. Just looking at the results on gojacks.com I couldn't tell that. Why is it the Cancun Challenge if its not in Cancun? Weird.
              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                My bad. Just looking at the results on gojacks.com I couldn't tell that. Why is it the Cancun Challenge if its not in Cancun? Weird.
                Part of the Cancun Challenge said that Drake and VCU have to come to Frost to play the second half of the home and home, right?
                The year before last SDSU went to Cal and played both Bakersfield and San Jose State. That trip is when the wheels fell off that year. Both game should have been won but they suffered crushing defeats. So if the series were home and home, they could be over.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                  Part of the Cancun Challenge said that Drake and VCU have to come to Frost to play the second half of the home and home, right?
                  The year before last SDSU went to Cal and played both Bakersfield and San Jose State. That trip is when the wheels fell off that year. Both game should have been won but they suffered crushing defeats. So if the series were home and home, they could be over.

wasnt it the bracketbuster game that said that cal poly had to come to frost? not the cancun games?

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                    wasnt it the bracketbuster game that said that cal poly had to come to frost? not the cancun games?
                    Oops! It's Friday afternoon and I'm thinking about the weekend. Sometimes it's better just to shut up.
                    Thanks! Thinking something and typing else sucks.

Comment

We open the season at Wyoming according to Terry's Tuesday Tidbits:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...Id=personaDest

The SDSU men's basketball schedule for 2009-10 is shaping up. The Jacks will open the season at Wyoming, go to the Virgin Islands for three games, play at Minnesota during Christmas break and host Cal Poly and Denver. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Does anybody know if that game is at the AA or is it going to be in Casper....

Comment

I found this on rivals and I wasn't sure if you guys knew this...

According to Bloom, the eight-team field for the Paradise Jam's bracket is based on the final RPI standings from this season. That would mean Purdue, which had a RPI of 20 heading into the NCAA Tournament, would be the No. 1 seed and play South Dakota State (a RPI of 283) in the first round.
                          http://minnesotapreps.rivals.com/con...ota&CID=932720

Comment

Wow, Purdue was predicted to be #4 in the nation next year by Dick Vitale.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                              Wow, Purdue was predicted to be #4 in the nation next year by Dick Vitale.
                              So that would mean he's predicting North Carolina, Duke, (fill in the blank), Purdue, right?

Or would it be Duke, North Carolina (it doesn't really matter), Purdue?

Comment

pffft... Purdue... more like Purdon't!
                                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                                - Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
                                X